• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This combo a good choice?

JRS

Major Contributor
Spending time here has given me the itch to try some higher fidelity phones. After considerable research, and looking at the HiFiman, Sennheiser 600, and others (e.g. AKG and the Audio Technica M70), I am leaning toward the Sundara's. I have always had a soft spot for planar drivers, and it seems when properly EQ'ed they are SOTA for under 400 dollar set.

So my question is portable DAC/amp--candidates I found on Amazon that kept the combo near 500. include the Qudelix 5K, the Ear Audio ES 100 and the Fiio BTR-5. Bluetooth is a plus, but not essential. So not being very familiar with feature set and the power to drive the Sundara's to 105+ dB. I want things to be portable and would prefer that I can save the preset PEQ's on the DAC so that I can use them camping where there is no cell service (I'm assuming there is a phone app that lets you save EQ settings when using that for playback, but very much a newbie to this audio neck of the woods) and use an MP4 device for input. Leaning toward the full featured Fiio, but am open to other suggestions.
EDIT: forgot to mention the Ifi Hip-Dac.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I got the 5K and love it. It drives my Sundaras, HD660S and DCA Noires easily via balanced out. I also have Oratory EQs for each of my headphones stored in the 5K. If you do EQ, then the 5K is the way to go!!

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Gee, was hoping for some more input, but the rec is appreciated.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gee, was hoping for some more input, but the rec is appreciated.
Niche market you're looking at. A phone app like USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) might open up your options as it can store multiple EQs. Cant speak for the others but the Qudelix is a pretty complete package. As to driving the Sundaras to your required level, no idea but how heavy you EQ might be a factor you will need to consider.

Use a calculator like this to work out what it can drive but remember every dB of EQ headroom reduction will add to the burden. https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Thanks a bunch. That certainly culled the herd. If I did things right, I took the 104dB @ 1V spec from Amir's review, plugged in 107 for peak volumes sought, and then added 6dB for the bass EQ. That gives me a worst case requiring 2.82 V RMS (200mW). One frustration is finding straightforward specs, but at least I know what I need.

Edit: perhaps someone can comment on whether converting to a balanced output feed will increase the level by 6dB. Of so, it looks like I might have a few candidates, also would such a mod invalidate the warranty? Hoping no, but guessing yes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom