• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hd650 cable had a tinny/artificial tone on tracks ive heard a thousand times... it was so noticeable i couldnt get used to it. I guess i can hear the difference mr golden ear boy over here. For curiosity i might just buy a dozen or two cheap rcas all different and test every one and rate them from 10 to 0.

How about a double-blind ABX instead...?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
hd650 cable had a tinny/artificial tone on tracks ive heard a thousand times... it was so noticeable i couldnt get used to it. I guess i can hear the difference mr golden ear boy over here. For curiosity i might just buy a dozen or two cheap rcas all different and test every one and rate them from 10 to 0.

You really need to get a hearing test. :)

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Time for a double blind.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Looks like the guy has devoted his career to selling snake oil!
I thought that too, but then I read "Your Friend in the Business" and I realized a friend wouldn't sell me snake oil, so the whole page is 100% legit. You need to read a little more carefully Omar.

Omar Cumming

I thought that too, but then I read "Your Friend in the Business" and I realized a friend wouldn't sell me snake oil, so the whole page is 100% legit. You need to read a little more carefully Omar.

Friends don't let friends drive drunk buy $3600 speaker cables!

Cheers

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

I believe that is why they're known as CONfidence MEN. (or PEOPLE, if you prefer)

:cool:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Getting old sucks.

yep.. still 16.5kHz isn't bad. It has nothing to do with cables which are all flat from 0Hz up to the MHz range. They cannot work as equalizers nor do they add distortion. The very small difference in DC resistance between the 2 cables cannot possibly result in any audible changes.

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
The very small difference in DC resistance between the 2 cables cannot possibly result in any audible changes.

I am really bad at soldering. The cables I make sound awful.

Get a hearing test

The very small difference in DC resistance between the 2 cables cannot possibly result in any audible changes.
Yes i've read that thats why i bought the cables just cuz they look and feel great. Didnt expect a dip in audio quality. I even played around with plugging left side with the 1.5 dollar cable and the right side with 18 dollar one, then swapped around in case headphone drivers were THAT different (theyre not) played simple tunes and the 18 one was flat out worse. Its not amp imbalance either as i go above it. Im gonna sleep on this and do more testing tomorrow.

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
Yes i've read that thats why i bought the cables just cuz they look and feel great. Didnt expect a dip in audio quality. I even played around with plugging left side with the 1.5 dollar cable and the right side with 18 dollar one, then swapped around in case headphone drivers were THAT different (theyre not) played simple tunes and the 18 one was flat out worse. Its not amp imbalance either as i go above it. Im gonna sleep on this and do more testing tomorrow.

My point above with my joke about my soldering ability was to point out that bad cables exist, even ones made with nice wire. Perhaps the difference in resistance aren't so small.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Depends on how small the DC resistance difference is. There can be up to 25dB differences in Common Impedance Coupling noise between different common RCA interconnect cables used by audiophiles.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

I am guilty of buying a pair of $99 Pangea Audio Balanced XLR interconnect, while I was eyeing the less expensive Mogami Studio Gold. At least, I did not go up the sales mountain to their Premier SE version with PE air tube insulation. I am also guilty of buying quite a few replacement earphone cables off AliExpress. The siren song of PCOCC copper, SPC and silver often lures me in. I regard it more as a legit way for a guy to wear bling without changing professions to become a rapper.

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
I am guilty of buying a pair of $99 Pangea Audio Balanced XLR interconnect, while I was eyeing the less expensive Mogami Studio Gold. At least, I did not go up the sales mountain to their Premier SE version with PE air tube insulation. I am also guilty of buying quite a few replacement earphone cables off AliExpress. The siren song of PCOCC copper, SPC and silver often lures me in. I regard it more as a legit way for a guy to wear bling without changing professions to become a rapper.

Oh, don't feel bad. Paying for quality work is worth it, and aesthetics aren't nothing.

Top Bottom