• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm new here (2nd post) and don't understand the issue. I bought a pair of these about three months ago and listened to a track I was intimately familiar with, The Who's Baba O'Riley. It sounded like garbage. So I left my system on for well over a month playing a loop of music. After the suggested burn in time, actually 184 hours of burn-in, I immediately played Baba O'Riley again and the track immediately opened up, like a veil was lifted. The coherence of these cables are stunning. Bass was booming, when before it was muddy and shallow. I even heard a violin I didn't even know was on the track! Did ANY of you know there is a violin on this track! Well get these cables and hear it again, for the first time.

Oh boy, Poe's law is strong with this one.

Timbo2

Ok, you fooled me.

My gullibility is only slightly exceeded by my skepticism, and they aren't necessarily time-aligned in their operation, leading to occasional false indications.

Welcome aboard.

You know this is what you were thinking!

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Maybe I should have ended my original post with a ;) </sarcasm>

Ha ha.

I was googling obscure musical instruments so that I could ask you if you heard it. If not, I was going to say "wrong cables, it's coming through clearly with mine"!

Gyroscopics

Saw this thread and thought of chiming in although late to the topic. I have various lengths of the Mogami 2964 version of these WBC cables purchased from Amazon and use them to this date in my headphone system. Unlike the quad Canare version, the Mogami 2964 version is not directional and does not require burn-in. I liked the performance of the WBC Mogami 2964 interconnects that I used some in my home audio system.

I also tried the Gotham GAC 4/1 star-quad version sold by WBC@Amazon. It had similar burn-in disclaimer as the Canare in the OP. I didn't like the veiled sound when I introduced the Gotham interconnect into my system, that I wrote a negative review at Amazon. They have pulled out that product since then, but still sell other variants (lengths) of the same Gotham version. The seller (WBC) wrote me a message telling me to let the Gotham burn in. I run the Gotham thru my system (without actually listening to it) just to see if there was improvement. After few days the sound opened up but also became sibilant. I returned that interconnect just before the 30th day for a full refund and never tried their quad cable interconnects again. Had I tried their Canare quad instead of the Gotham and got more favorable results, perhaps I would have bought more cables from WBC. But I decided to use Monolith RCA interconnects in my home system instead and never looked back.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw this thread and thought of chiming in although late to the topic. I have various lengths of the Mogami 2964 version of these WBC cables purchased from Amazon and use them to this date in my headphone system. Unlike the quad Canare version, the Mogami 2964 version is not directional and does not require burn-in. I liked the performance of the WBC Mogami 2964 interconnects that I used some in my home audio system.

I also tried the Gotham GAC 4/1 star-quad version sold by WBC@Amazon. It had similar burn-in disclaimer as the Canare in the OP. I didn't like the veiled sound when I introduced the Gotham interconnect into my system, that I wrote a negative review at Amazon. They have pulled out that product since then, but still sell other variants (lengths) of the same Gotham version. The seller (WBC) wrote me a message telling me to let the Gotham burn in. I run the Gotham thru my system (without actually listening to it) just to see if there was improvement. After few days the sound opened up but also became sibilant. I returned that interconnect just before the 30th day for a full refund and never tried their quad cable interconnects again. Had I tried their Canare quad instead of the Gotham and got more favorable results, perhaps I would have bought more cables from WBC. But I decided to use Monolith RCA interconnects in my home system instead and never looked back.

Are you sure you know which forum you’ve just posted in? ;-)

cjfrbw

I bought cables because I got tired of unfolding wire coat hangers and trying to terminate them.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I thought my reply was dry witted sarcasm, but Gyroscopics wins hands down.

Gyroscopics

Are you sure you know which forum you’ve just posted in? ;-)

I posted in reference to Amir's OP. TBH I did not read all 14 pages after that (no time). My bad if my post was off-topic from the previous posts prior to mine.

bilzebubba

Yes, it is also "directional" although here, it is due to the way they utilize the shield at one end so that bit is fine.

Strangely, the cable that came with my Sony WH1000XM2 headphones also claims to be directional -- for the same reason?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
All my XLR cables are directional.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curtesy of a Reddit user, here’s something absolutely crazy, a grounded RCA cable:

https://www.thecableco.com/perfect-ground-cable.html
perfect-ground-black-690-1.jpg

$270 for 6ft

And of course 6Moons gave it a good review.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Curtesy of a Reddit user, here’s something absolutely crazy, a grounded RCA cable:

https://www.thecableco.com/perfect-ground-cable.html
perfect-ground-black-690-1.jpg

$270 for 6ft

And of course 6Moons have it a good review.
OMG! I hadn't seen this one. I trying to decide if the special charcoal they are using to absorb RFI and EMI as well as emitting negative ions is worse than the wooden grounding boxes full of dirt. Not to mention how goofy the whole concept is. I mean in a sense, if you have a star grounded component this will let you un-star ground it. At least there is only a 25 to 50 hr break in on it.

Has 6 Moons ever not given a good review?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.thecableco.com/ultimate-ground-cable.html

Actually they do have a better model. It has......get this......incredibly pure copper cabling. 101% pure. I kid you not, 101% pure. That some kind of pure copper. More copper than copper itself I reckon.

Now there is a little misleading. It is listed as 101%IACS Pure Copper which is a rating for extremely low oxygen copper that has 101% the conductivity of OFC copper.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.thecableco.com/ultimate-ground-cable.html

Actually they do have a better model. It has......get this......incredibly pure copper cabling. 101% pure. I kid you not, 101% pure. That some kind of pure copper. More copper than copper itself I reckon.

Now there is a little misleading. It is listed as 101%IACS Pure Copper which is a rating for extremely low oxygen copper that has 101% the conductivity of OFC copper.

Oh, but that one doesn't have the negative ion emitter. Should I worry?

"The Wall-Plug is upgraded with Bincho-Tan, a form of Ubame oak charcoal from Japan which absorbs EMI and RF as well as emitting negative ions."

I guess it can be used for barbecues as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binchōtan

All in all, charcoal in wall plugs seem like a really good idea too...

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost as good as beeswax in fuses.
There really should be awards for the best HiFi Hype...and this retail company website has more flowery hi-end b.s. on its website than many "high-end" audio magazine websites.

The fact that snarky entries in the comments section for the beeswax fuses are allowed by highend-electronics.com to remain in place rather than be purged suggests that the owners of the company could aware of the product's uselessness, and are simply exploiting pathological audiophilia for profit. I wonder how many beeswax fuses they have actually sold?

I wonder what their inventory is for all of the hundreds of thousands of dollars of products they advertise? I find it interesting that the company owner relocated from Vienna, Austria to a desert town near Las Vegas, the consumer fleecing capitol of the world. (I even found a Las Vegas-worthy graphic for my pseudo-award.)

Hype Award.jpg

The new Beeswax SHD fuse incorporates a triple layer design with 2 new proprietary components to make the fuse even quieter with a better transfer of current and re location of the Bees Wax inside of the fuse for better stability.

Audio Magic latest fuse in the Premiere line - The "Beeswax" Premiere Super Fuse. The Beeswax version is identical to the Premiere version the only difference is Audio Magic uses Beeswax instead of the normal anti vibration fluid, this gives the fuse a very organic flavor but maintains the detail, dynamics and everything the Premier does. The production of this fuse is very difficult, very hard to get the Beeswax into the fuse but the organic sound is too good to ignore.

Audio Magic Premiere SUPER fuse:
The Audio Magic Premiere SUPER fuse incorporates Audio Magic's anti vibration fluid to stop the element from vibrating at 50/60 hz and then the blackout powder super mix to absorb all EMI and RFI riding the element as well as ambient sources and insert a new HRC core which allows the signal to travel through the fuse in a more cohesive and linear manner. The Premier SUPER fuse is 30% better than the Audio Magic's original SUPER fuse in every way!

Much more detail top to bottom, wider and deeper soundstage, much better inner detail, layering, and a lot more air around instruments and voices.

Costia

That's actually sounds dangerous.
Adding flammable materials to a fuse...
When that fuse burns, so does your house.

Top Bottom