• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
OCXO = oven-controlled crystal oscillator. The oven is a little heater to help maintain temperature so frequency stability is better. A lot of test equipment uses them as well (presumably without the mil-spec temperature rating). Makes the oscillator more expensive. I could not say if it has any audible impact. Maybe if your listening room varies from -55 to +125 degC.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Despite the ridiculous "audiophile" stuff, there still are some solid companies making well engineered and built cables. Some things I like about BlueJeans cable: excellent parts & build quality, good prices about what it would cost me to buy the parts & build them myself. And one other thing that hasn't yet been mentioned: they build custom orders. Tell them what you want and they'll send you a quote. I've used this a few times, for example to get a Y splitter for 4-pin balanced headphone output, and a replacement cable for my Audeze LCD-2, where the OEM cable costs $150 and is cheap & fragile, the BlueJeans is much higher quality and more durable, and cost less than half that price.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Whats the consensus on the W3082 w/banana plugs the same company is listing on Amazon as speaker cable? Looks strange using a coax type setup as a speaker cable, would that not result in high capacitance? I like the look of the banana plugs..

invaderzim

Whats the consensus on the W3082 w/banana plugs the same company is listing on Amazon as speaker cable? Looks strange using a coax type setup as a speaker cable, would that not result in high capacitance? I like the look of the banana plugs..

It looks cool but the capacitance does look quite high compared to 12 gauge wire.
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/speaker_cable/pure_sound/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/when-12-gauge-wire-is-not-12-gauge.3/

But they do have this quote on their site:
"I was stunned by how dramatically the coaxial 3082 speaker cable affected the sound of my NS-10Ms. I was using good wire before but the improvement the 3082 made was not subtle. The speakers sounded noticeably louder and the response more natural and extended. I had no idea speaker cable could be so significant. Thanks so much for a great solution and a wonderful improvement on my monitoring!"

I'd hoped Mogami was better than that.

McFly

Well color me sold! But seriously, that's the cheapest I can find speaker cables with that type of banana plug, so I will purchase and let people if they... work. All of my other banana plugs I have here eventually lose spring tension as they get old and wobble around in their sockets, I wonder if these will last longer.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Did Amir ever receive the speaker cable as discussed in this thread ?

And the LDR volume control for that matter ?

MRC01

Major Contributor
... All of my other banana plugs I have here eventually lose spring tension as they get old and wobble around in their sockets, I wonder if these will last longer.
That's why I use locking banana plugs that don't rely on spring tension. With mine, the male plug has metal "flower petals" that expand as you screw it down, though I'm sure there are different variations that are equally effective.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Theo

Any gases that were trapped between the insulation and the conductors during manufacturing are dissipated.
Now I understand where the noise comes from : cables fart if you don't burn them in!:eek:
Sorry, couldn't resist....:facepalm:

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I'm new here (2nd post) and don't understand the issue. I bought a pair of these about three months ago and listened to a track I was intimately familiar with, The Who's Baba O'Riley. It sounded like garbage. So I left my system on for well over a month playing a loop of music. After the suggested burn in time, actually 184 hours of burn-in, I immediately played Baba O'Riley again and the track immediately opened up, like a veil was lifted. The coherence of these cables are stunning. Bass was booming, when before it was muddy and shallow. I even heard a violin I didn't even know was on the track! Did ANY of you know there is a violin on this track! Well get these cables and hear it again, for the first time.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I even heard a violin I didn't even know was on the track! Did ANY of you know there is a violin on this track!

Not having listened to Baba for quite a while, I can't say I knew there's a violin, but using it for a "never heard that before I put on new cables" seems a bit of a stretch...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm new here (2nd post) and don't understand the issue. I bought a pair of these about three months ago and listened to a track I was intimately familiar with, The Who's Baba O'Riley. It sounded like garbage. So I left my system on for well over a month playing a loop of music. After the suggested burn in time, actually 184 hours of burn-in, I immediately played Baba O'Riley again and the track immediately opened up, like a veil was lifted. The coherence of these cables are stunning. Bass was booming, when before it was muddy and shallow. I even heard a violin I didn't even know was on the track! Did ANY of you know there is a violin on this track! Well get these cables and hear it again, for the first time.
Buy that cable again, listen to it new, and I guarantee you will hear the violin there!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Maybe I should have ended my original post with a ;) </sarcasm>

Ok, you fooled me.

My gullibility is only slightly exceeded by my skepticism, and they aren't necessarily time-aligned in their operation, leading to occasional false indications.

Welcome aboard.

Top Bottom