• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The same moron that calls a video "so you need proof" where he tested audio cables by connecting them to the RF input of a tuner like an antenae and then exclaims " this is a lousy audio cable because it picks up more RF noise". Next he will try different interconects to boost his dead pickup and the ones that take the longest to burn up will be the best audio cable.

Shielding does matter for cables though, esp. interconnect. But the usual foil and braid shielding already works very well in most of the cables. Also, folks are usually listening to music at home instead of industrial area.

And then, the video seems to be talking about speaker cables which matters even less. Unless you run speaker cables along power lines, I don't think that bit of RF noise matters.

escksu

I really don't see why anyone needs more than Amazon basic cables...... cheap and good!!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use this:
71HTHzDnP3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The sound improved dramatically.
Before I couldn't hear anything coming out of my speakers.
The difference is like night and day.
Transparency is insane and the red stripe minimizes losses in case I have to bend it sharply.
Sound could be more airy but what can one expect from OFC.
I think that is the prettiest picture of zip cord I've ever seen. Kudos to the commercial photographer.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's clearly a CAD render.
They sure LOOK thick and massive. But I had to look them up as I once got a whole handful of their RCA interconnects for free thrown into the box of a used AVR I bought online. They were about to cheapest POS I've ever tried to use, the RCA plugs were made all purdy lookin but the outer connector leafs were thin as tissue and made a very poor connection to whatever they were plugged into. In any case, yea a very massive looking cable in the ad, but check out their site and they only come as 14 or 16 gauge rated wire. :(
https://kabeldirekt-store.de/index....rity-copper-wiring-and-polarity-markings.html

L5730

Just bought some of these "Worlds Best Cables".
Canare L-4E6S Star Quad with Amphenol AX3 series XLRs for less than I could buy the stuff and make them myself.

Artaois

Just got a pair of 1ft Audioblast XLR star quad cables with Amphenol connectors for $26. Nice cables. Wish they made a shorter one though. Maybe 7".

Max1

Hello, thanks for this thread, i bought a canare RCA from world's best cable and it is well made. Is there somebody that could advice me about a Jack 3.5 to RCA that is similar in term of quality please?

And i need speaker cables too. I was going for blue jeans, but i am in europe and the shipping cost is way too much (about 60$) Do you know something else? I don't need fancy thing, just a good cable well protected. I can buy everywhere, on amazon, or even on aliexpress which offer free shipping.
I think that i need a 16 AWG but i am not sure:
Two big front (4-8ohms ;150 nominal-240 max. They might pick near 2-3 ohms). They are both at less than 9 fts from the amp.
I have a center speaker (8 ohms), and two little 6 ohms satellite speakers at about 27 fts from the amp. (Yes far away from the "all speakers should be the same"!).
Am i right about the 16 AWG for everything please?

L5730

Cables arrived today. No BS "please allow burn in" card. Maybe they are aimed more at 'professionals', being XLR?
Soldering looks good and neat. I'll happily buy more of this companies cables for other tasks. They have some shorter low-capacitance Mogami cables for connecting guitar pedals together.

escksu

This is getting rather confusing...... This thread shows that cables don't make a different, yet in another thread, pple are talking about differences caused by cables.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is getting rather confusing...... This thread shows that cables don't make a different, yet in another thread, pple are talking about differences caused by cables.

People are talking about measurement differences

1) in conditions that don't really happen in audio
2) that would not be audible anyway
3) that could possibly be audible given an extreme length of cable
4) that could be audible given a severely undersized cable
5) that are caused by circuits inserted by the manufacturer that could modify the signal (in other words, very expensive minimal EQ or house "coloration")

None of this matter when using a properly sized cable, in a length of a few meters, for audio purposes.
No one has ever been able to pass a blind test to tell decent cables apart.

No one has even attempted such a controlled test when a million dollar was offered by the James Randi foundation
https://gizmodo.com/james-randi-offers-1-million-if-audiophiles-can-prove-305549

Hoping that helps alleviate the confusion :)

celroid

that cable is pretty good for 22USD a pair btw, i like the amphenol RCA connectors and prefer them over cordial.
in EU, "pro snake" does comparable cables with the same amphenol connectors, (maybe its even the same complete cable, i dont know) just FYI if someone looks here and needs those... they are only 7.50euro/pcs!
https://www.thomann.de/intl/cae_1679109_cinchkabel.htm
Very sad that they only offer this with a length of only 0.9 m. That would not be enough for a subwoofer that's too far out

Top Bottom