• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

UCrazyKid

Has anyone bought the "locking RCA" version of these cables? I find the female RCA connections on my Topping D90 to be a little "short" and that my RCA's are not as firmly held as I would like. The locking RCA ends would give me piece of mind. I have the locking WBT's on some Kimber Hero's and they have been great. Is the quality any good on these? The price sure is right. Thanks!

Universal Cereal Bus

Standard 75 Ω coax such as RG-6 or RG-59 works perfectly for S/PDIF signals. There is no problem that wasn't solved 100 years ago.
I suppose you could say they invented a problem.
giphy.gif

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The latest 'News from the Moronosphere'

Compared directly with my long-term sample of Chord's SilverPlus, the Epic USB delivered a slightly darker and, on brief audition, fractionally less vibrant sound. Listen longer, however, and it's clear that the Epic USB is marginally more refined, possessed of great control and delivering energy and passion when required as slickly as it will reveal subtle details.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/chord-epic-usb-interconnect-cable

How do you get a 'long term' loan? Can you say, shill? I knew you could.
Extraordinary claims call for extraordinary loans to back them up.

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got 13 pages in and got a headache.

S I'd be interested to see the effect of 150+ hrs of Wagner vs. the same time using Mozart on a cable. I dread to think of the results using 150+ hrs of Spice Girls, not so much on the cable but the poor unfortunate who'd have to listen to it.
Does that 'burn-in' have to be done continuously or are breaks allowed, and for how long?
18 hours of Wagner is enough.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
18 hours of Wagner is enough.
And Brahms will sound terrible. You’ll need different cables for Schumann and Mendelssohn too.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
RG-11 will provide more power and the thicker cable offers fatter bass, and it will provide more scintillating highs due to reduced skin effect of audio signals. Much lower loss, too, always a key issue at 20 kHz. /irony

lemnoc

Did anyone ever tell these boneheads that unbalanced RCA interconnects were never designed to be used outside the equipment to connect up other equipment ?? It was design as an interconnect between subsystems within the same grounded equipment !! For this reason the whole cable argument is totally flawed !!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Did anyone ever tell these boneheads that unbalanced RCA interconnects were never designed to be used outside the equipment to connect up other equipment ??

It's too late now...

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
Watched a video from gr research today. Hilarious! At 11:20 he talks about how a rope in the middle of his diy speaker cables changes the sound. The cable business is really getting out of hand.

escksu

Has anyone bought the "locking RCA" version of these cables? I find the female RCA connections on my Topping D90 to be a little "short" and that my RCA's are not as firmly held as I would like. The locking RCA ends would give me piece of mind. I have the locking WBT's on some Kimber Hero's and they have been great. Is the quality any good on these? The price sure is right. Thanks!

I don't think there are locking versions. Only XLR has locking mechanism. RCA are held together by friction only.

A800

I use this:
71HTHzDnP3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The sound improved dramatically.
Before I couldn't hear anything coming out of my speakers.
The difference is like night and day.
Transparency is insane and the red stripe minimizes losses in case I have to bend it sharply.
Sound could be more airy but what can one expect from OFC.

I use this:
71HTHzDnP3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The sound improved dramatically.
Before I couldn't hear anything coming out of my speakers.
The difference is like night and day.
Transparency is insane and the red stripe minimizes losses in case I have to bend it sharply.
Sound could be more airy but what can one expect from OFC.

Those cables should be ok in producing sound from your speakers but if you want real BASS and real BOTTOM end you seriously need to consider upgrading to AudioQuest cables.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Those cables should be ok in producing sound from your speakers but if you want real BASS and real BOTTOM end you seriously need to consider upgrading to AudioQuest cables.

I hope you are joking...

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I don't think there are locking versions. Only XLR has locking mechanism. RCA are held together by friction only.
I don't have any, but from what I understand they don't lock so much as they clamp. Kind of like a collet, if you're familiar with machine tools.

The majority of my connections are XLR.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I hope you are joking...

I think the profile is meant as some sort of a joke? I mean, look at the name :)

Reminds me of those YouTube videos about long dead historical figures, where the same dead person "happens" to have a YouTube account and writes something in the comments.

A800

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the profile is meant as some sort of a joke? I mean, look at the name :)

Reminds me of those YouTube videos about long dead historical figures, where the same dead person "happens" to have a YouTube account and writes something in the comments.

He is just being honest with his username. Truth in advertising.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Watched a video from gr research today. Hilarious! At 11:20 he talks about how a rope in the middle of his diy speaker cables changes the sound. The cable business is really getting out of hand.

The same moron that calls a video "so you need proof" where he tested audio cables by connecting them to the RF input of a tuner like an antenae and then exclaims " this is a lousy audio cable because it picks up more RF noise". Next he will try different interconects to boost his dead pickup and the ones that take the longest to burn up will be the best audio cable.

Top Bottom