• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Recent ones output 4K natively. Older models can only do 1080p at most. Same for cable/sat boxes, Blu-ray players, etc.
As I said, brain not on today. The scaling I refer to is the internal scaling....

snurf

On topic:

Didn't read the whole thread but it seems that the need for cable burn in was created years ago. A comment from hometheaterhifi.com:

"I used to be skeptical of the whole burn-in/break-in debate until I purchased a pair of horrifically expensive MIT speaker cables as an upgrade to my existing system. Initially, they rendered my system unlistenable! I called the dealer who explained the cables needed time to settle in. Since I had a dedicated music listening space, I dialed my FM tuner to a 24 hour radio station, set the volume about a third of max and shut the door. The next day I walked into the room and ran back out! This continued for several more days. By the sixth day, feeling uttery discouraged and pissed off for wasting my money on such expensive garbage, I decided to bring them back so I angrily yanked open the room's door and was bowled over by the change. It went from sounding like a rake being pulled across a chalk board at 60mph to smooth, liquid, holographic, and exquisitely tonally balanced. The change was far from subtle. I spent less than 10 minutes in the room during the first week and the room door stayed shut so it wasn't a case of getting used to the sound of the new cables. Nothing else in the system was changed during that week. After that experience, I lost my skepticism. Later, I'd heard that the dealer had bought some sort of cable burn-in device after more than a few sets of the same cables were returned by less patient clients."

This is a fun read:
https://mitcables.com/mit-cables-technologies/

Also a review from The absolute sound of $88,099.00 – $97,099.00 "speaker cables":

“MIT’s ACC268 “Articulation Control Consoles” are undoubtedly the world’s most expensive speaker cables, but they are unlike any cables extant. The control consoles are 45-pound enclosures housing the network along with unique adjustments that allow you to tune the cable to your system. This tuning has nothing to do with tonal balance, but rather with a dynamic verve in different parts of the frequency range.”

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
On topic:

Didn't read the whole thread but it seems that the need for cable burn in was created years ago. A comment from hometheaterhifi.com:

"I used to be skeptical of the whole burn-in/break-in debate until I purchased a pair of horrifically expensive MIT speaker cables as an upgrade to my existing system. Initially, they rendered my system unlistenable! I called the dealer who explained the cables needed time to settle in. Since I had a dedicated music listening space, I dialed my FM tuner to a 24 hour radio station, set the volume about a third of max and shut the door. The next day I walked into the room and ran back out! This continued for several more days. By the sixth day, feeling uttery discouraged and pissed off for wasting my money on such expensive garbage, I decided to bring them back so I angrily yanked open the room's door and was bowled over by the change. It went from sounding like a rake being pulled across a chalk board at 60mph to smooth, liquid, holographic, and exquisitely tonally balanced. The change was far from subtle. I spent less than 10 minutes in the room during the first week and the room door stayed shut so it wasn't a case of getting used to the sound of the new cables. Nothing else in the system was changed during that week. After that experience, I lost my skepticism. Later, I'd heard that the dealer had bought some sort of cable burn-in device after more than a few sets of the same cables were returned by less patient clients."

This is a fun read:
https://mitcables.com/mit-cables-technologies/

Also a review from The absolute sound for $88,099.00 – $97,099.00 "speaker cables":

“MIT’s ACC268 “Articulation Control Consoles” are undoubtedly the world’s most expensive speaker cables, but they are unlike any cables extant. The control consoles are 45-pound enclosures housing the network along with unique adjustments that allow you to tune the cable to your system. This tuning has nothing to do with tonal balance, but rather with a dynamic verve in different parts of the frequency range.”
I'm not really a die-hard objectivist, but I read stuff like that and just wonder what would the mechanism for that be?

I also find it hard if not impossible to discount what folks perceive when they make these observations. I don't doubt (I can't doubt) that they experience what they claim to experience. I guess in that regard these phenomena might well fall in the same realm as parapsychology or UFO sightings -- and I am not being facetious.

And, mind you, I know folks who use and love the MIT cables, and those folks do know good sound, and aren't naive.

snurf

I'm guessing that they put something in the box that distorts the signal and 'burns away' by use, or may just be the old 'put a mystifying box on the cables' thing. But, they might have gone all the way and provide a 'true' 'burn in'.
x2C3D_Level_1_Speaker_Interface-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.AZc-jfPjJl.webp.jpg

Or not. But I've demoed 'high end' cables a couple of decades ago and indeed noticed a difference. To me it sounded like added distortion. I think the strands were silver plated.

I've read that most people increase the volume until 'sufficient' distortion is reached. Distortion seems to be the umami flavor in the audio community.

Last edited:

Victor Martell

I wonder if anyone has made a box that can switch between several expensive cables - A button could be labeled "3D Liquidity" and if you press it, it would switch to using MIT cables. And so on... "Bigger Soundstage" then switch to another expensive cable... "MO' MUSICALITY" another one! :D

You could even combine them so if you press the Soundstage and the Musicality buttons you can have those cables in parallel, because, OBVIOUSLY the effect will combine, right? :D

I am telling you - the next step is PROFIT!
v

Tim Link

Forum Donor
On topic:

What this fellow should do is get two pair. Listen to both at the start to make sure they sound the same. Burn in one until it sounds good. Then listen to the other one for comparison. I once did that with two identical amplifiers. They both sounded bright and thin to me at the start. So I burned in one for a month, after which I perceived it as sounding less bright and quite natural. Then I plugged in the other amp to compare. It sounded just as good!

snurf

Actually Mitcables have it all sorted out. They have multiple technologies that they add to the cable itself:
2C3D Hologram: Adds 3D to your 2 channels. Presumably from mono?
SIT - Stable Image Technology: Well, the never ending problem of the soundstage jumping all over the place has finally been solved!
JFA - Jitter Free Analog: Jitter in your cables? Solved.
JFA II - Jitter Free Analog Second Generation: Well, the sequel is always better
HD - High Definition: Self explanatory. Still using your 16 bit cables? Hahaha
SHD - Super High Definition: Why not go all the way?
..and more at https://mitcables.com/mit-cables-technologies/

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I wonder if anyone has made a box that can switch between several expensive cables - A button could be labeled "3D Liquidity" and if you press it, it would switch to using MIT cables. And so on... "Bigger Soundstage" then switch to another expensive cable... "MO' MUSICALITY" another one! :D

You could even combine them so if you press the Soundstage and the Musicality buttons you can have those cables in parallel, because, OBVIOUSLY the effect will combine, right? :D

v
Especially if you use multiples of only one cable.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

v
Well, the box would add undesirable colo(u)ration that would, of course, markedly reduce the audiophilical mojo of the various cables.
:cool:

EDIT: Oh, and -- does the combination of cable mojos in series vs. parallel follow Ohm's Law for resistance/impedance, or is it like capacitance?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
With complex impedance, there is only one Ohm's law.
ahem. it was a joke, OK? :oops:

So... what I was getting at was resistance in series vs. parallel as compared to capacitance in series vs. parallel.
So... see... when cable mojos add, e.g., in series, is it CMt = CM1 + CM2 + ... or is it 1/CMt = 1/(1/CM1 + 1/CM2 + ...)
So... umm...

1591234151127.png

snurf

The pricing is weird on this one: https://nintronics.co.uk/jorma-design-prime-biwire-speaker-cable.html
1 meter £18,000.00
2 meter £18,007.00
4 meter £18,022.00

I'm not going to buy them, just found the pricing a bit confusing. Doesn't it almost seem like a scam?
In the meanwhile I'm awaiting the long overdue release of the Dark Matter Wormhole Cables.
https://www.tweekgeek.com/dark-matter-wormhole-cables/

The reason for the delay is rumored to be non synergizing quantum effects when tuning the slipstream golden quantum purifiers due to impure electrons. An accompanying power conditioner might soon be released.

Last edited:

Victor Martell

Well, the box would add undesirable colo(u)ration that would, of course, markedly reduce the audiophilical mojo of the various cables.
:cool:

EDIT: Oh, and -- does the combination of cable mojos in series vs. parallel follow Ohm's Law for resistance/impedance, or is it like capacitance?

Neither - IT IS.... MAGIC!

v

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I got tired of using my long RCA cables to interconnect small DACs and Amps so decided to get a short one. Saw one on Amazon (by "World's Best Cables') that used Canare Star-Quad cable and Amphenol connectors for just $22 shipped. My time was worth much more than that to make one so I ordered it. It came promptly. When I opened though, I was shocked to see this massive sign in there:

View attachment 27076

Are you kidding me? Even a low-cost cable using proper material spreads such a myth?

It is one thing to see this on multi-thousand dollar cables but on a $22 one?

Inside there is an instruction sheet and it says that again. To their credit they acknowledge that such burn-in will take out of Amazon's 30 day return window so they provide instructions on how to still get a return.

The danger here is that such practices will spread to the general public, not just high-end audiophiles.

Yes, it is also "directional" although here, it is due to the way they utilize the shield at one end so that bit is fine.

Most importantly, do not listen it after only 174 hours. It will sound like crap.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
From a much earlier post of mine in this thread, in response to a post saying 175 hours (~7 days) of burn-in was required:

175 hours is approximate. At 7 days, 7 hours, 7 minutes, 7 seconds, 7 milliseconds... you get one instant of perfect sound. After that, the cables begin to age and degrade, and you must replace them with new and burn them in again.

ReaderZ

I just got these cable, looks well made, and I have no complain about the sound. Price is higher than amazon basic tier RCAs but IMO well worth it just for name brand cable and connectors.

Top Bottom