• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

graz_lag

Major Contributor
While a completed cable assembly can be directional by have each end connector attached differently, the bulk cable itself can not be directional to AC signals. If the bulk cable were directional, it would result in high harmonic distortion on half of each sine wave.

You're exactly right

MRC01

Major Contributor
In years past, I spent lots of time with stepped attenuators of various configurations. I've also run into this with the same solution. Grounding only one frame.
The experience gave me the impression that grounding can be a black art. Different approaches, symmetric or asymmetric, can be better in different situations. It taught me that grounding is a subject that is far more complex in practice than it seems in theory.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
A recording engineer who had input into the Neutrik XLR's with built in RFI used to post in a forum. The improvement was easy to measure. IME most folks with extraordinary claims say things are unmeasurable when they have not even tried.
Exactly. Someone just has to do the work.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The experience gave me the impression that grounding can be a black art. Different approaches, symmetric or asymmetric, can be better in different situations. It taught me that grounding is a subject that is far more complex in practice than it seems in theory.

Not a black art if you know enough about it.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whenever I see the subjectivist/objectivist debate flare up, I remind myself that a part of me would be delighted if a listening test disproved my (frontal lobe) beliefs on differences between amps/dacs.....and maybe even cables. After all, I've dropped way more money than I should have on equipment (but not on cables). I'm less frustrated with subjectivists' fervent belief in extraordinary claims than their steadfast unwillingness to try and prove it in a controlled fashion.

I do, however, get angry with dealers and manufacturers. Their responsibility is to demonstrate the superiority of their product, and not piss on people who ask them to do so. Don't yammer at me about quantum mechanics. Show me it *sounds* better. If you won't, I'll assume you can't.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hi all, iv deleted a ton of posts . Plenty of them were fine they just got caught up in the clean so if you see yours missing don't assume you did anything wrong .

It's just easier to take a root and branch approach to these incidents.

Thread open.

Cheers

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There's nothing wrong with abstinence. In moderation.
Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder ?
Oh wait, that's not quite right.
Or is it?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, here we go again:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/interconnect-directionality

the scam artist known as Teo Audio:

Therefore, logically, re science and investigation....if one does not have the hearing skills to hear it or has not tried to develop the correct methodologies to teach themselves to hear it, then that person is ignorant of the equation set required to be involved in the investigation..... and should.... by all logic and reason - remove themselves from the discussion.

He of the $22,000 cable break-in machine.

The less evidence you've got, the more bluster required.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's something about watching a scam artist get really angry and condescend that drives me bananas. It's a combination of the worst "science" with the worst high end attitude. Way to bring people into the hobby, dipshlitz.

Top Bottom