• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Audiophile confessions:

I admit to still having one of these haunting my basement:

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/weaver13.htm

Bought it in the late 90's. Tried it, didn't really use it. I pulled it out a while back and put it in. It *does* seem to change the sound, though I don't know why (and I don't seem to like it).

Interesting. The first word of the title of the review is Intoxicology. Perhaps that was a running column? I would suspect that one beer would have greater impact on the individual’s perceptions, particularly in the context of “Intoxicology,” and would be tremendously less expensive, and more predictable in its effect.:D

I am trying to come up with my most egregious audiophile confession. Probably buying 20 or more headphones. None of them cost much more than $300, and some much less. But still, ouch. :rolleyes:

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found this in an Audiogon thread on..."the science of cables". Ostensibly from cable manufacturer Teo Audio. For the life of me, I can't figure out whether this is sincere or a beautiful parody (like the hilarious Titania McGrath or Jarvis DuPont on Twitter).

In either event, hand-waving at quantum physics sure creates some room for nonsense. Teo claims to have liquid conductors. I understand Mercury and Gallium are liquid at room temperature, but not great conductors.

----quote----
as an aside just for the sheer annoyance factor of the easily excited on the buzzword front... molecular/atomic level fluids like the room temperature fluid metal alloys in Teo cables, are technically and in definition...to fall under quantum rules...and charged ionic systems like that of plasma (tubes) are considered to be classical.

This means.. the true fluid metal alloy in the Teo cables, while under signal loading... is constantly switching or sliding between being quantum and classical, with a indeterminate Schrodinger-like complexity, due to the high mass and atom to atom (electron orbital to electron orbital) ..where the loading is a radically discontinuous variable due to the high mass. The math is insane and very incomplete at this time in physics.

Ouch.

The tube kinda does the same but is mostly a stressed/loaded system while in-situ, so just about 100% classical, as it is, in operation, never really going to zero. One would think that the liquid metal cable is thus the same but the high mass vs that of the tube’s low mass constitution, makes the quantum connection in the metal fluid - considerably more real.

Importantly, none of this takes place with wire as the wire is in a frozen lattice form. In truth..some of it is still there but of such a minor dangling part, that it is not really ever included in any of the calculations - no point. Under certain stress and loading conditions it can be made to come to the fore, though.

It might be considered that the frozen lattice form of the structure of the ’wire’, gives rise to complex impedance, as we know it, as a set of lumped parameters. LCR is a lumped parameter, and that L, C, and R are each lumped parameters all on their own - when in full analysis.

Those lumped parameters, the LCR and the individual lumped L, C, and R, are for engineering or building. One has to go back to the theory as it is all theory when seeking solutions to complex layered problems. That is....if we can recognize the problem in the first place.

If one wishes to analyze problems in interpretation and projection into solution seeking or problems in observation vs measurement, then one should consider going down to those basics and analyze at the fundamental physics level. Otherwise one might find themselves going in circles, or arguing without understanding the actual questions at hand...

---endquote---

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Heh, TEO. Ken has always been a poet; I've had delightful exchanges with him over the years where he's accused me of being part of the conspiracy to cover up the miracle of cold fusion and being a secret government agent dedicated to thwarting progress in audio.

I am not being sarcastic about the adjective "delightful." He is massively entertaining.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
----quote----
This means.. the true fluid metal alloy in the Teo cables, while under signal loading... is constantly switching or sliding between being quantum and classical, with a indeterminate Schrodinger-like complexity,
---endquote---

Look, the cat is either dead, or alive, or both dead and alive. And then when you look at it, it’s either dead or alive but not both dead and alive. I don’t see what’s so complex about that.:oops:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hats off that is some quality next level BS.

This is what 6 moons had to say about this.

The liquid angle of course is the perfect setup for a major marketing spin. In the hands of a well-paid ad copy writer, all manner of squirrely claims could be made, snazzy buzz words coined, a new science invented

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Look, the cat is either dead, or alive, or both dead and alive. And then when you look at it, it’s either dead or alive but not both dead and alive. I don’t see what’s so complex about that.:oops:
If it shits in my garden it better be prepared to die ,, again .. if I look at it.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Does anyone have a simple Master list of cables and their costs (per unit length)?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Heh, TEO. Ken has always been a poet; I've had delightful exchanges with him over the years where he's accused me of being part of the conspiracy to cover up the miracle of cold fusion and being a secret government agent dedicated to thwarting progress in audio.

I am not being sarcastic about the adjective "delightful." He is massively entertaining.

Meh, aside from the claims made for the product, I find his stuff tiresome - an attempt to adduce "Philosophy 101" tidbits to justify (and obscure) claims about cables and high end audio in general. And of course to reject the relevance of blind testing or whatever part of the scientific method doesn't support wild claims about cables. He'll drop a "deep sounding" post on a forum, but essentially cut and run. Press Teo philosophically and his "entertaining" musings don't go very deep.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Meh, aside from the claims made for the product, I find his stuff tiresome - an attempt to adduce "Philosophy 101" tidbits to justify (and obscure) claims about cables and high end audio in general. And of course to reject the relevance of blind testing or whatever part of the scientific method doesn't support wild claims about cables. He'll drop a "deep sounding" post on a forum, but essentially cut and run. Press Teo philosophically and his "entertaining" musings don't go very deep.

Ken's stream-of-unconsciousness is definitely not for all tastes.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

agtp

To be taken seriously, the word “quantum” must be included in any product name.
:facepalm:
Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 5.38.59 PM.png

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sorry, I meant the finished overpriced products. (Might be asking too much on my part)
Really? There's only about 100,000 of them.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

This is one reason why it's a good thing for "objectivists" to have their say in audiophile forums. At least some people may become
informed enough to save some money. But for most subjectivists, the objectivist case for why stuff like this is snake oil is just a Buzz Kill.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Ken's stream-of-unconsciousness is definitely not for all tastes.
Ken's poetry is special, but his favorite "just around the corner" free energy scams have not played out well.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I have seen those but there is not much information on it, such as whether it is solid brass or not. Also, the Parts Express ones can take pretty large cable gauge. I can't tell from small pictures on Bluejeans whether they can do the same.
I have some kicking around in a box somewhere. I will try and track them down and post some pics

Top Bottom