• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This $850 Fiio K9pro has a built in EQ, through the app. How does it sound better than a cheaper dac/amp?

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

staticV3

Master Contributor
AFAIK the EQ is available only in BT streaming (so it happens to the streaming source, not in the device)
If the EQ is limited to the Bluetooth input, then most likely DSP is done on the QCC5124 Bluetooth receiver that's built into the K9, not on the device that's sending Bluetooth audio.
Though that's easy enough to check.
Get one Bluetooth device with the App, program some EQ, then disconnect and connect another Bluetooth device and play music from that one.
If the EQ is still active, then DSP is handled by the QCC5124 inside the Fiio K9.

panther

Also user settable EQ but 5 bands graphic only so more of a tone control than usable for correcting headphones/speakers.

RME ADI-2 DAC has parametric EQ, can be used for correction of headphones. K9pro only has 5 band graphic.
RME has clock slave, handy in a studio or when using more than one of them on the same source. K9pro can't.
RME has 6.3 + IEM output (both not balanced), the K9Pro has Pentaconn, XLR-4 out and 6.3 but no IEM (3.5) out all not balanced.
FiiO has analog in (RCA + Pentaconn) so can be used as a stand alone headphone amp or pre-amp with extra input. The ADI-2 DAC not (but ADI-2 pro can).
FiiO has BT input, otherwise the same digital input options.
RME has remote + informative display, FiiO has some LEDs and buttons, no remote.
RME has crossfeed + loudness + output level control + balance + mono + phase , the FiiO only a balance control as 'extra' and 3 gain settings (for amp).
FiiO has MQA, RME does not.
FiiO also has USB-C port (on the side, not rear) as well as USB-B, RME only has USB-B.
Output power ADI2 = 1.2W in 32ohm, FiiO 2.1W in 32ohm, RME and FiiO = around 300mW in 300ohm.
FiiO is somewhat cheaper than RME.
For reliability, and service the RME very likely has the edge. But as soon as the newest model comes out with a bit more power or lower distortion the FiiO is likely to get replaced within a few year anyway.
Is it a big deal that the k9 pro ESS hp out atpre not truly balanced. I had not realized I when I was considering it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is it a big deal that the k9 pro ESS hp out atpre not truly balanced. I had not realized I when I was considering it.

That depends on the headphone and above all the used cable.
When using a Pentaconn connector (to headphones) it really makes no difference if the signal is differential or not as the cable for certain does not have a common return wire.
'Truly balanced' = differential

As long as one does not need to take advantage of the double output voltage (higher impedance headphones), that would be possible using differential outputs, there is no real benefit concerning the output of a headphone.
Things will differ when an interlink is differential (ground path differs) and there will be a higher rejection of external noise components than when not differential connections are used.

Basically 'balanced' out (technically differential out) can provide max. double the output voltage which, in the end, is limited by the internal power supply voltage rails inside the amp. There are voltage rail limitations to most parts.

Top Bottom