• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This $850 Fiio K9pro has a built in EQ, through the app. How does it sound better than a cheaper dac/amp?

AmalfiMan

The review claims this has better sound for HD800s headphones. Better than RME ADI-2fs. It also has an EQ in the phone app.

What tech causes sound in a dac/amp to be better?
Is this an example of snake oil?

Review:

FiiO K9Pro Amplifier Headphone Amps Bluetooth High Resolution Desktop Portable Support Lossless Sound 384 kHz/DSD256/MQA/LDAC/AptX Adaptive/AptX HD for PC/Speaker/Home Aduio(K9Pro ESS) https://a.co/d/hdAcTwM

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

I can't see any actual measurements or blind testing being performed in this video... on what basis is it supposed to sound "better"?

JSmith
He claims with his ears. Lol. He has a RME right next to it and claims he can hear more details than the RME.

JSmith

Master Contributor
He claims with his ears. Lol. He has a RME right next to it and claims he can hear more details than the RME.
Ok... sighted bias and;

JSmith

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

Ok... sighted bias and;

JSmith
Yes, I was already advised to get the cleanest signal dac and enough amp to power 250ohms, at the cheapest price point. I am testing the Topping EX5 now.
But I wonder if maybe for $500 more, I get better sound??

JSmith

Master Contributor
But I wonder if maybe for $500 more, I get better sound?
... as a DAC only or as a headphone amp?

JSmith

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

... as a DAC only or as a headphone amp?

JSmith
Both

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

I can't see any actual measurements or blind testing being performed in this video... on what basis is it supposed to sound "better"?

JSmith
Here is another review about the better sound on this FiiO compared to Topping.
Can it really sound way better?

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

No! It's as much better as homeopathic sleeping medicine against insomnia vs nothing.
What about the features?
Good:
Bluetooth 5.1 - amps supports AAC/SBC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/aptX adaptive lossless
Uses 2 separate DAC chips for left and right vs one chip
Phone App to control it's own EQ
Has IN RCA, and USB ports

coolajami

AFAIK the EQ is available only in BT streaming (so it happens to the streaming source, not in the device). I don't own the device, but I thoroughly checked it to buy it, and Fiio clearly mentioned it on the support pages. AFAIK the EQ does not work with the other inputs (from the technical standpoint I can see why). If that changed, and now you can use EQ on all inputs, the K9 Pro price is a steal.

timiark

I'd prefer some setup like MiniDSP Flex + Topping A30Pro if I cannot afford RME. You get some real cool and customizable hardware EQ and tons of amp power. I had listening to K9 but I really cannot say it is objectively better than others... either my ears are only this sensitive or it is actually just like that, nothing more.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The review claims this has better sound for HD800s headphones. Better than RME ADI-2fs. It also has an EQ in the phone app.

I looked at the EQ in the app - it's a 1980s boombox style five band graphic deal. Based on that it's clear this thing isn't in the same class as Quedlix or RME. Those still seem to be the two options for high fidelity headphone amps. It would be really nice for there to be more ones worthy of consideration.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Also user settable EQ but 5 bands graphic only so more of a tone control than usable for correcting headphones/speakers.

RME ADI-2 DAC has parametric EQ, can be used for correction of headphones. K9pro only has 5 band graphic.
RME has clock slave, handy in a studio or when using more than one of them on the same source. K9pro can't.
RME has 6.3 + IEM output (both not balanced), the K9Pro has Pentaconn, XLR-4 out and 6.3 but no IEM (3.5) out all not balanced.
FiiO has analog in (RCA + Pentaconn) so can be used as a stand alone headphone amp or pre-amp with extra input. The ADI-2 DAC not (but ADI-2 pro can).
FiiO has BT input, otherwise the same digital input options.
RME has remote + informative display, FiiO has some LEDs and buttons, no remote.
RME has crossfeed + loudness + output level control + balance + mono + phase , the FiiO only a balance control as 'extra' and 3 gain settings (for amp).
FiiO has MQA, RME does not.
FiiO also has USB-C port (on the side, not rear) as well as USB-B, RME only has USB-B.
Output power ADI2 = 1.2W in 32ohm, FiiO 2.1W in 32ohm, RME and FiiO = around 300mW in 300ohm.
FiiO is somewhat cheaper than RME.
For reliability, and service the RME very likely has the edge. But as soon as the newest model comes out with a bit more power or lower distortion the FiiO is likely to get replaced within a few year anyway.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Top Bottom