• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Third World USA

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That said, on the subject of eating and the exit side of things, one of the great gifts of SE Asia to the world is food, culture isn't limited to music or painting and the culinary heritage of SE Asia is rich. I'd happily forgo most European foods for Malaysian, Indonesian and Thai food, looking further East I'd also take Korean and Japanese food over most alternatives too. Chinese food is very variable, some is fabulous but I find a lot of (real) Chinese food rather bland.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
So if there's a real distinction between 'first world' and 'third world'...

If the globalists get their way and run the world as a single homogenised economy - which, ironically perhaps, coincides with the 'no borders' aspiration that many liberal/progressive people espouse - will there still be 'first world' and 'third world' regions of the planet? Will the US be a better or worse place to live than it is now? (which is not the same as asking whether it would be a good or bad policy for humanity as a whole).

graz_lag

Major Contributor

A place where - anyone in the street, can shots and kills you for a matter of "too loud music" ... to me that place is third world, it's country name is totally irrelevant at that point ...
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...rdan-daviss-death_us_565354d0e4b0258edb324a26

Ohh ... I take an example involving music out of the thousands sadly available from that part of the world (although evidently racism was the reason for which that poor teenager was killed) as this is - primarily, a forum debating sound, music and related topics ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That said, on the subject of eating and the exit side of things, one of the great gifts of SE Asia to the world is food, culture isn't limited to music or painting and the culinary heritage of SE Asia is rich. I'd happily forgo most European foods for Malaysian, Indonesian and Thai food, looking further East I'd also take Korean and Japanese food over most alternatives too. Chinese food is very variable, some is fabulous but I find a lot of (real) Chinese food rather bland.

I'm with you on that- I'm not a huge fan of Japanese and Korean, but that's more because of my culinary restrictions (vegetarianism)- but I could live happily off regional Indonesian, Indian, Malaysian, Chinese, Thai... and eschew most European foods. But I'm not sure I could ever give up pizza.

BTW, the very best Chinese seems to be in HK because of the better access to high quality ingredients.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That said, on the subject of eating and the exit side of things, one of the great gifts of SE Asia to the world is food,
My mouth just waters thinking about a big bowl of fish heads and rice. o_O;)
MI0001427064.jpg

OP
Rod

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ahh ... so you want to get the fish' heads, right ? You're the one in the table going to pay the bill then ... ;)
Hmm, miss the smell of salted fish in the tropical heat.

OP
Rod

Rod

Sometimes I really miss that place. Very beautifull in many places. I mean if anyone gets a chance, its something you will cherish, what you see will stick for a lifetime. Plan on when my wife retires I will retire there with her, have a house and condo there, preparing.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes I really miss that place. Very beautifull in many places. I mean if anyone gets a chance, its something you will cherish, what you see will stick for a lifetime. preparing.

Completely agree. In the summer we visited Borobudur and Prambanan in Central Java, stunning. There is some gorgeous scenery in Central Java. Bizarrely, one of the best Chinese meals I've ever had was in a small Indonesian Chinese restaurant somewhere in Central Java, it was one of those small villages you drive through without really noticing.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If the globalists get their way and run the world as a single homogenised economy - which, ironically perhaps, coincides with the 'no borders' aspiration that many liberal/progressive people espouse - will there still be 'first world' and 'third world' regions of the planet? Will the US be a better or worse place to live than it is now? (which is not the same as asking whether it would be a good or bad policy for humanity as a whole).

We're already seeing slow but steady equalising of things like pay, and many industries have operated integrated trans-border processes for many years. The emerging economies are modernising rapidly (nowadays when I go to China I sometimes ask myself which part of the world is really third?) and there has been a huge expansion of middle classes and education in much of the emerging world. A lot of people in the developed world still think countries like China are sweat shops selling cheap labour, the reality is that in many industries their workers are not that cheap and they have a large pool of extremely well educated and skilled technical people. They're following the same trajectory of most countries, as Korea did before them, and you can see countries like Vietnam following. So eventually I think that in economic terms we will see a much more level field. However, in cultural terms it's very different and people tend to still be very wedded to their national or regional identities.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Why do so many people want to move to the UK then? If it's such a terrible place, surely people should be leaving in droves.

Edit: measured by net migration per 1000 population, the UK is #37 out of a list of 221 countries. This means we're more popular as a destination than Portugal, Greece, New Zealand, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, France, etc. etc.

Our population density is high: #10 out of a list of 54 European countries.

Last edited:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Why do so many people want to move to the UK then? If it's such a terrible place, surely people should be leaving in droves.

Good question.

And you could go further: If it’s true that globalism is successfull in lufting people in developing countries out of poverty, why do they above all want to go to the West?

Maybe the process will reach an equilibrium as living standards are equal around the globe. Not saying what «equal» is «equal to»...so not a forecast of an absolute standard, just relative standards.

OP
Rod

Rod

Good question.

And you could go further: If it’s true that globalism is successfull in lufting people in developing countries out of poverty, why do they above all want to go to the West?

Maybe the process will reach an equilibrium as living standards are equal around the globe. Not saying what «equal» is «equal to»...so not a forecast of an absolute standard, just relative standards.
Well the equilibrium can be quit low for most workers. The gig economy looks awfully like a third world economy for one example. A uplifing equilibrium worldwide cant be achieved because of policy's of globalist. Austerity and debt will cause economic destabilization and will always make new desperate people. Desperation can be created out of policy.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Well the equilibrium can be quit low for most workers. The gig economy looks awfully like a third world economy for one example. A uplifing equilibrium worldwide cant be achieved because of policy's of globalist. Austerity and debt will cause economic destabilization and will always make new desperate people. Desperation can be created out of policy.

How low is low? I always liked this visionary tale:

graz_lag

Major Contributor

Edit: measured by net migration per 1000 population, the UK is #37 out of a list of 221 countries. This means we're more popular as a destination than Portugal, Greece, New Zealand, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, France, etc. etc.

Our population density is high: #10 out of a list of 54 European countries.

You wrote "to the UK" but in fact you're meaning London *, right ?
An immigrant from - say Moldavia, may end up for different reasons to - say Blackburn, Lancs., :facepalm: , but his dream was logically to get to London in the first place ...

Your statistics account for what : temporary immigrants/workers/residents or permanent ones ? I do not recall now the exact "millions" of students of any age who come to the UK (however and again, 50% of whom to London) every year for the very popular (and expensive) English's courses ...

All that said, the UK is a super-attractive country for many reasons, not last the audio and music industries, which have given the birth to many of the finest brands in the world as far as our passion for the Hi-Fi is concerned ... :)

* Which is the right one ? London or the Greater London ? Maybe both, right ?

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
You wrote "to the UK" but in fact you're meaning London *, right ?
An immigrant from - say Moldavia, may end up for different reasons to - say Blackburn, Lancs., :facepalm: , but his dream was logically to get to London in the first place ...

Your statistics account for what : temporary immigrants/workers/residents or permanent ones ? I do not recall now the exact "millions" of students of any age who come to the UK (however and again, 50% of whom to London) every year for the very popular (and expensive) English's courses ...
Don't hold me to any of it. I was merely quoting statistics and making suggestions with the same degree of care, objectivity and rigour as the Guardian did with their austerity story (or pretty much any of their stories these days).

Top Bottom