• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Third time around with the AKG Tiesto K167 Headphones.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I was researching headphones a couple of years ago, looking for something that was good for both Classical and Techno/Current Pop with lots of deep bass. I landed on the AKG Tiesto K167 Headphones, headphones that were regularly discounted 75% at B + H Photo, to $50. I saw an number of warnings about them being easier to break than usual, probably why B + H has such a steep discount. When I got them, I heard my solution. Amir speaks of "ear-rattling" bass with the right combo of 'phones that go deep and enough power to drive them. These check off both boxes: impedance is around 35 ohms, the bass output at 20 hz is in the middle of the headphones average frequency response, there's a little bump around 50hz but nothing unseemly, the biggest bump is in the presence range. Distortion looks tolerable for a transducer.

Screenshot 2019-12-04 13.49.16.jpg

When I got the pair, knowing they had a reputation for breaking, I bought a second pair, as insurance. Those went to my friend Allen, who also loved the way they sounded. When I moved to Lacey, felt like I had to cut down on stuff, so I gave the original pair to my stepson, how happens to DJ himself. I gave him the choice of Sennheiser Urbanite XLs or the Teistos, he said there was no comparison.

Anyway, I found myself missing them. B + H was selling them for $50 again, the pair showed up today, and are everything I remembered about them. Upper registers had more presence and bite, Material's/William S. Burrough's "Soul Killer" rattled my ears again, there was more "there" there.

1349967045_855176.jpg

For somebody looking for closed back headphones with deep bass but no bloat, this just might be the ticket.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Lol @ Tiesto. I wonder if they were released following the same branding idea as the Dre Beats.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Lol @ Tiesto. I wonder if they were released following the same branding idea as the Dre Beats.
Yes they were. Obviously, it didn't turn out the same. There's a larger version, the 267, never saw that one discounted.

Top Bottom