• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thinking of leaving NAD but like BluOS streaming - help

PHH

First post, newbie, audiophile/snob wannabee. Story - I have a second place where some lightly-used Tannoy Precision 6.2 speakers await that I now need an A/V system for. I'm stuck between cascading stuff from the main place to it, or buying something new for it. The main place has a NAD T787 (factory refurbished) and a 5.1 populated with Golden Ear speakers (I've been very happy with Golden Ear!). I've made believe thus far that NAD was the way to go ALTHOUGH I had to return the first T787 due to problems, the second had to go in for repairs in yr 3, and the second now won't retain some of the speaker setup selections. I'm terrified to do the factory reset fearing that it will be the death of it (advice on that, like don't risk it?). Luckily I can redo the settings in about 5 seconds using my phone EVERY TIME I power up. Was toying with getting a T778 and cascading the T787 to the other place but the T778 seems to have even more serious reliability issues. In that second place I did take delivery of a NAD T777v3 (factory refurbished) but the front display did not work - sent it back. Have nothing there now. MAIN ISSUE - I really like using the BluOS ecosystem, streaming from Tidal, imagining that MQA is something. I have a BluOS Node 2i, Rotel amp, and some Elac speakers that join in in a neighboring room. But, I'm thinking that I need to move on from NAD. I need 2 reliable/quality A/V systems, not projects, I have enough projects. What streaming ecosystem do people like? Want IOS control for sure. Thanks!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Do not fear the factory reset. I’ve used it a couple times.

Golfx

Forum Donor
If you have a stand alone Bluos node 2i you can use it with any future AVR/AV regardless of brand. No need to change. I plan on using it with Anthem’s AVM90 which lacks streaming hires files above 44/16.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
You say you really like the BluOS app. I’m not surprised. It‘s probably the best, especially now with Tidal Connect.

I’m afraid moving to another app would be a giant leap of faith. Just check out any of of the Matrix Audio streamer threads on this forums. No one discusses sound quality. It’s all complaints about the app.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Roon integration with Tidal isn‘t very good.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
No, still the case. Sorry, I meant from a playback perspective its fine. For library management I prefer to use the Tidal site/ app.

Everybody‘s requirements are different. I use/edit playlists all the time. Switching between Roon and the native Tidal app would be real pain for me.

Obviously not an issue for some people.

Just thought the OP should know.

Top Bottom