• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thinking about a Quad sub, minidsp'ed stereo setup

Willem

Major Contributor
That looks like a reasonably smooth response down to about 20 Hz. Next time change the vertical scale a bit, because as it is now even a very ragged response would still seem quite smooth. Keep us informed when you have added the fourth sub, and when you have used MSO.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

That looks like a reasonably smooth response down to about 20 Hz. Next time change the vertical scale a bit, because as it is now even a very ragged response would still seem quite smooth. Keep us informed when you have added the fourth sub, and when you have used MSO.
Will adjust the vertical scale
I will update once I add the 4th sub and work on MSO

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here is a post of mine from yesterday on how I am planning on setting up my quad sub system (as soon as I get 2 more subs built). I'm using a miniDSP Flex with Dirac, and I plan to use 2 of it's output channels to feed a miniDSP 2x4HD which will allow me to use MSO filters on each individual sub to balance each L/R sub pair. Basically use MSO to get as good of a response as possible from each L/R sub pair, then present that to Dirac. It might give you some ideas, but there are obviously other ways to get this done as well.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Quad sub setup completed
Magnified the vertical axis & put in separation, for easy viewing

Quad Sub 171222.jpg

Willem

Major Contributor
So that is clearly better again, at least in your room. The next question would be to see variation between listening positions, and, of course, the effect of MSO.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

I have stopped using dirac on my system, not finding it useful for bass management
Just using REW now, with a Harman 6 db house curve
Pretty pleased with the result
The bass now seems to come from the front Speakers

Did a recording, using Rode NT5 mics & a Audient ID 14 Mk II

poxymoron

I have stopped using dirac on my system, not finding it useful for bass management
Just using REW now, with a Harman 6 db house curve
Pretty pleased with the result
The bass now seems to come from the front Speakers

Did a recording, using Rode NT5 mics & a Audient ID 14 Mk II
Super. Once you add subs 5 and 6 the sound will seem like it's coming from inside your head.
Smiley face emoji.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

The subs disappearing with a well calibrated system, is a really nice experience
Yet to try 6 subs in a room, I know you jest but hey, may be worth a try :D

Top Bottom