• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Think it's time for new speakers

Martini

Forum Donor
So last year I replaced all my electronics and went with a Benchmark system: DAC-3B, LA4 and AHB2. It was a nice improvment, though since I did them all at the same time, I can't say what had the greatest impact. Anyway, I have them driving a pair of MartinLogan Aerius-i, which are around 20-25 yrs old now. Plus, I'm relegated to using a sm. medium sized office/bedroom for my listening room. It carpeted, has curtains and large soft sofa in it, so it's not lively. Using REW, I can see a lot of nasty peaks and valleys; in the bass they are quiet broad, so was considering adding a single sub. The high has a large drop-off beginning around 10K. Anyway, I was thinking of moving to the Revel 226be and a sub, but unless I find a good deal they are a little out of my range. I'd prefer to not significantly exceed $5k. I was eyeing a pair of 226's offered here, but some finances weren't in place yet and I missed them. So, keeping in mind the room I'm in does not allow for the speakers to be moved out much from the front wall significantly (the MLs would probably like more), what should I investigate? Someone mentioned waiting to check out the Paradigm Founders series, but I've no idea when they'll be available. I've heard the Revel 208 & 228be and liked the 228 better, but it wasn't a great environment and the 228s are definitely out of my range. So throw me some strong options :D

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BMR Monitor - $1700 - http://philharmonicaudio.com
I have a pair in my office. They offer amazing clarity and flat response down to 38Hz. The tweeter is awesome and the bass kicks. I have not heard a better speaker in this price range.

11.png

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sell your benchmark gear (which is amazing) and go with active speakers. The usual suspects -- Genelec, Dutch and Dutch, and Neumann may have options you like in the < $10k range. I think you get more bang for your buck that way. The Studio Dutch and Dutch 8c are just under $10k. So, if you sell your Benchmark stuff for $5k, you would be set. (Not sure if that is realistic based on resale values.)

LearningToSmile

For floorstanders Revel F208 makes a lot of sense, particularly if it's for a dedicated listening room and looks don't matter(I'm not a fan of the design but it's not the ugliest thing out there either). How large room are we talking exactly? Because European small/medium sized is often very different than US small medium sized. And what listening distance?

Might be worth considering 2.2 setup with two bookshelf speakers and two subwoofers to make fighting room modes easier.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
BMR Monitor - $1700 - http://philharmonicaudio.com
I have a pair in my office. They offer amazing clarity and flat response down to 38Hz. The tweeter is awesome and the bass kicks. I have not heard a better speaker in this price range.

View attachment 120829
Hmm, I'm going to have to research this a little. I don't mind doing a little DIY, accept for the cabinet. Although, I have race car that tends to eat up most of my spare time (and money), so... this route would have pluses & minuses.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So last year I replaced all my electronics and went with a Benchmark system: DAC-3B, LA4 and AHB2. It was a nice improvment, though since I did them all at the same time, I can't say what had the greatest impact. Anyway, I have them driving a pair of MartinLogan Aerius-i, which are around 20-25 yrs old now. Plus, I'm relegated to using a sm. medium sized office/bedroom for my listening room. It carpeted, has curtains and large soft sofa in it, so it's not lively. Using REW, I can see a lot of nasty peaks and valleys; in the bass they are quiet broad, so was considering adding a single sub. The high has a large drop-off beginning around 10K. Anyway, I was thinking of moving to the Revel 226be and a sub, but unless I find a good deal they are a little out of my range. I'd prefer to not significantly exceed $5k. I was eyeing a pair of 226's offered here, but some finances weren't in place yet and I missed them. So, keeping in mind the room I'm in does not allow for the speakers to be moved out much from the front wall significantly (the MLs would probably like more), what should I investigate? Someone mentioned waiting to check out the Paradigm Founders series, but I've no idea when they'll be available. I've heard the Revel 208 & 228be and liked the 228 better, but it wasn't a great environment and the 228s are definitely out of my range. So throw me some strong options :D
Revel F208, F228Be or F226Be sounds like a great idea but how are you going to integrate the subs? The Benchmark DAC and Preamp don't support any bass management.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Sell your benchmark gear (which is amazing) and go with active speakers. The usual suspects -- Genelec, Dutch and Dutch, and Neumann may have options you like in the < $10k range. I think you get more bang for your buck that way. The Studio Dutch and Dutch 8c are just under $10k. So, if you sell your Benchmark stuff for $5k, you would be set. (Not sure if that is realistic based on resale values.)

I watched Erin's review of the Dutch & Dutch, also saw the one on the Revels. The DD's augument sounds very complelling. Especially, the ability to place them close to the front wall and the REW integration. I wonder about the longevity of it's digital system; in 15-yrs will you still be able to update it or will it have become obsolete like so many smart phones.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
For floorstanders Revel F208 makes a lot of sense, particularly if it's for a dedicated listening room and looks don't matter(I'm not a fan of the design but it's not the ugliest thing out there either). How large room are we talking exactly? Because European small/medium sized is often very different than US small medium sized. And what listening distance?
Room size is L=14', H=8', Width (at Speakers) is 11'3", then after 5'7" it widens to 13'4"
Listening position is 9' from the speakers.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Revel F208, F228Be or F226Be sounds like a great idea but how are you going to integrate the subs? The Benchmark DAC and Preamp don't support any bass management.
The LA4 has an XLR out to sub, wouldn't that do the trick with something like a Rythmik F12SE? I've never messed with subs before, so might be completely off here. Concerns about integration is something that makes me lean toward a more full range speaker.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, I'm going to have to research this a little. I don't mind doing a little DIY, accept for the cabinet. Although, I have race car that tends to eat up most of my spare time (and money), so... this route would have pluses & minuses.
The $1700 is for a finished pair of BMRs not the DIY.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The LA4 has an XLR out to sub, wouldn't that do the trick with something like a Rythmik F12SE? I've never messed with subs before, so might be completely off here. Concerns about integration is something that makes me lean toward a more full range speaker.
No , you need to high pass filter before the amp for your main speakers to avoid overlapping.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No , you need to high pass filter before the amp for your main speakers to avoid overlapping.
FWIW, I run my 3-way floorstanders at full range alongside two 12” subs, and the in-room response when I measured was actually marginally better than when I crossed them with a MiniDSP 2x4. I think crossing over your subs is more relevant for smaller speakers where they will struggle with the LF.

EDIT: I also use Audiolense XO for room correction, which may help matters.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I run my 3-way floorstanders at full range alongside two 12” subs, and the in-room response when I measured was actually marginally better than when I crossed them with a MiniDSP 2x4. I think crossing over your subs is more relevant for smaller speakers where they will struggle with the LF.

EDIT: I also use Audiolense XO for room correction, which may help matters.
Sometimes you get lucky. I’m of the firm belief that bass management can get better results and faster.

blestin

If you want to keep your gear and stay with passives within your budget I recommend either the Revel F208 $3500-$4000 , Revel F226be for $5000-6000, Philharmonic BMR $1700, BMR Tower for $3700, or Selah Ceramica $3,995

I went through the same options you did recently and actually purchased and sold the Revel f226be recently, as I believe it did not interact with my room well.

BMR tower may likely not need a subwoofer for music as it goes low, for movies only you may want a Revel + Subwoofer. I believe Dennis will provide measurements next week.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'll second the recommendation being made for Revels.
Get a pair of the best ones you can afford, be patient and see if another great used pair don't pop up

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a 14' x 12' room size I would highly recommend the BMR. The sound is crystal clear and the BASS is amazing. You could always add a sub, but I haven't found a need with my BMR's. I power mine with a 60W Hegel H90 integrated amp and usually never go past 55 on the volume. The volume reaches 75dB at that level and completely fills the 14' x 12" room. I set them out two feet from the wall and listen 8' away. This 3-way speaker looks great and sounds even better. You can spend a lot more but I'm glad I didn't.

Top Bottom