• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Things that cannot be measured"

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
So my Goldmund Reference, Oracles, SMEs etc may well look nice and handle well but they are not as effective as the Linn, or Thorens, Pink Triangle, Systemdek etc variations on the AR.
And my nice old Heybrook, too.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
...To through some extra fuel... :) What about "things that can be measured, but are currently not being measured (for whatever reason - lack of understanding, ignorance...)?

In @mansr's analogy with a racing car. What if - while we can perfectly measure its speed - when you ask the riders "what was their experience?", with the "pretty crappy" answer... And when you start digging, you find out that it was "excessive bumpiness", or "too strong seat-leather smell", or something else... All are perfectly measurable - though not with the original "speed" metric - yet no one initially thought of measuring? :)

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless, of course, you believe electromagnetic theory is incomplete. "Move over Maxwell, and give Farraday the news!" :p

Yes and some guys listening to cables and bickering on forums will beat theses nerds at CERN for the punch for sure o_O

Why don’t we have dark matter conduits in our cables yet and screens against neutrinos ( a light year of lead may seems a bit unpractical to you )

Speaking of unusual materials wonder why we haven’t seen designs similar to pre plastic power cables yet.
The kinds with oil and paper insulation lead jacket steel armour and asphalt outer layer ?

The raw materials are still aviable some kinds of submarine HVDC cables are still,oil isolated and I know of one papermill still making cable paper what are we waiting for :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of unusual materials wonder why we haven’t seen designs similar to pre plastic power cables yet.
The kinds with oil and paper insulation lead jacket steel armour and asphalt outer layer ?
When I re-wired my 400+ years old thatched cottage 45 years ago it obviously was originally built with no thought of electricity there was still some early cabling in it fitted with little thought to safety. It was 2 cotton insulated conductors in a lead sheath, which was the earth. It was still in use in 1975 when we bought it. We moved here in 1981 and sold the cottage to a friend who lost everything a few years later when there was an electrical fire in the neigbouring house which spread to theirs :( It may have had equally old wiring in it.
My Tune Audio Animas have internal wiring with waxed cotton insulation and were kindly supplied with speaker cables of the same construction. They work fine :)

rkbates

Forum Donor
Yes and some guys listening to cables and bickering on forums will beat theses nerds at CERN for the punch for sure o_O

Why don’t we have dark matter conduits in our cables yet and screens against neutrinos ( a light year of lead may seems a bit unpractical to you )

The raw materials are still aviable some kinds of submarine HVDC cables are still,oil isolated and I know of one papermill still making cable paper what are we waiting for :)
Paper and oil is still king for >315 kV submarine cables;)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I re-wired my 400+ years old thatched cottage 45 years ago it obviously was originally built with no thought of electricity there was still some early cabling in it fitted with little thought to safety. It was 2 cotton insulated conductors in a lead sheath, which was the earth. It was still in use in 1975 when we bought it. We moved here in 1981 and sold the cottage to a friend who lost everything a few years later when there was an electrical fire in the neigbouring house which spread to theirs :( It may have had equally old wiring in it.
My Tune Audio Animas have internal wiring with waxed cotton insulation and were kindly supplied with speaker cables of the same construction. They work fine :)

I've read in some of the Nordic hifi rags about cotton insulated cables . Think some Danish guy made them popular , that was a fad a while . The wax must obviusly be from an organic bee farm ;) the bees must only harvest nectar and pollen from the most delicate and fine flowers and trees.

Old in house wires can be linnen and tar they get brittle with age they are fine until moved or touched at all , then you have to rewire your house.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

CERN is just making measurements, and measurements are fine but they can't possibly tell us everything. :p

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Things that cannot be measured" - I still don't get how it can be a thing if it can't be measured

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I still don't get how it can be a thing if it can't be measured

IMG_0031.PNG

Valhalla

One thing I keep wondering about is that measuring a device in a single frequency can't tell us everything about linearity when actual music is feeding. Needless to say I'm not expert in electronics though.

KSTR

Major Contributor
One thing I keep wondering about is that measuring a device in a single frequency can't tell us everything about linearity when actual music is feeding. Needless to say I'm not expert in electronics though.
Which is why we don't. We have IMD19kHz+20kHz and multitone which is quite like music and many many more, varying various parameters (frequency, level, ...). But, the more complex a test signal the less easy it is to read clear results in absolute terms that's why single sine tests are preferred. Nonentheless I would agree that the 1kHz SINAD measurement is close to useless as a reliable item for ranking sound quality. Amir has decided he wants some ranking (for good reasons) and had to choose something and the SINAD rating is least telling us something technically about the devices.

Top Bottom