• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Things that cannot be measured"

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone just dropped this argument on me when trying to justify speaker break-in without any data or evidence:

"We do not know how to measure yet and, therefore, it would be more appropriate to say: our current forms of measurement have not caught up with ability of the brain to discern changes. And that still might take a while."

Weird hobby overspending on audio equipment for decades and indulging in forum activity gives you some kind of authority :D
Literally the only hobby where you can make our own cred ?

Sawdust123

Weird hobby overspending on audio equipment for decades and indulging in forum activity gives you some kind of authority :D
Literally the only hobby where you can make our own cred ?
I remember taking one of AP's developers to his first ever hi-fi show (I think it was RMAF). I told him to watch the bonding ritual that occurs when two strangers meet at such shows.
Step 1: Did you hear that room? or: What did you think of that room?
Step 2: Mention some piece of gear you have or had and relate it to said room.
Step 3: Reply with a question indicating you have knowledge of gear mentioned in step 2 (e.g. Did you have the original version, before the floobydust filter mod?) Alternately, provide anecdote loosely related to gear mentioned in Step 2 to show you at least know the industry.
Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 for a few cycles until someone admits they only wish they could afford the gear they are discussing.
Step 5: Now that street cred has been established mention something important such as where free food and drink can be found.

posvibes

"We do not know how to measure yet and, therefore, it would be more appropriate to say: our current forms of measurement have not caught up with ability of the brain to discern changes. And that still might take a while."

There is some evidence that the brain makes up its own mind without your intervention........yep, I'm not kidding.

Katji

Major Contributor
[...] but hobbyists wanting to inflict huge placebo costs on one another is truly reprehensible, and probably driven by wanting to feel better about the resources they've wasted by finding/creating company.
Why [they] may sometimes get upset by my comments like "bullshit" and so on. Such comments spoil the hobby, social group psychology, talking about wishing for expensive gear to try out (like that wow synergy) and the wife permission/acceptance re that. iow, I'm not playing the game. No, I don't like head games. ...Unless it's the music.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Why [they] may sometimes get upset by my comments like "bullshit" and so on. Such comments spoil the hobby, social group psychology, talking about wishing for expensive gear to try out (like that wow synergy) and the wife permission/acceptance re that. iow, I'm not playing the game. No, I don't like head games. ...Unless it's the music.

Until some sensitive soul keeps reporting you because they feel offended or ..................... .
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif

Wombat

Master Contributor
Someone just dropped this argument on me when trying to justify speaker break-in without any data or evidence:

There's that generalised Royal we again. :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
There is some evidence that the brain makes up its own mind without your intervention........yep, I'm not kidding.

Yep. Some people are on autopilot. :D

Coach_Kaarlo

I usually say "there is a cure for ignorance but it doesn't work if you are stupid"

Ricky Gervais nailed it I think;

“Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.”

― Ricky Gervais

Benedium

Forum Donor
Ricky Gervais nailed it I think;

“Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.”

― Ricky Gervais

So this is why the victims are intentionally sending the hurt back.

Wombat

Master Contributor
So this is why the victims are intentionally sending the hurt back.

????

The victim(deceased) is inactivated, not sending anything.. Any hurt is a manifestation of a remainer's conscious or otherwise response.

OR, do you think those remaining are victims because someone has died?

krott5333

There likely are things that we aren't aware of yet. Not every measurement we currently use has always existed. New discoveries and methodologies will continue.

There's likely a lot of differences in the way our ears and brains process sounds compared to a computer and a microphone. The very physical shape of our ear canal itself can have an effect.

That being said, I'll still believe measurements over someone on YouTube using too many adjectives.

Top Bottom