• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Things that are GOOD!

MAB

Major Contributor
3-4 years ago, I would not have believed that I would like watching tv. And not the ads. Now I enjoy some of the ads.

VW gets it right, the best car ads.

This one, so good with the video games thing, like the start line with green milk crates that shatter into pieces...

Yes when VW gets it right, it all comes together!

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes when VW gets it right, it all comes together!

Wow, so they were doing it like that even more than 20 years ago. ...And you only get to see the ad names, that the ad/marketing people used, on youtube.
They do the localization so well. ...I mean really well, accurately focussed on the market demographics and so on.

This one was very popular...

"Volkswagen South Africa, Ogilvy & Mather Cape Town and director Grey Gray of Velocity Films deliver a cuteness overload with a charming little vignette that steers the Golf brand well on the path of being, first and foremost, a family car."

:) So I followed the link, some ad guy's channel...like an ad review, with detailed explanation :-o

“For the Love of the Drive”, follows the story of a little girl, from when she arrives at kindergarten to when she is picked up by her dad. Throughout the day, she’s singing and humming to herself (this is not a song you’ll quickly or easily recognise, unless you happen to be a diehard rock fan). Throughout the montage, we hear her little voice singing little snatches of lyrics, slightly out of tune; she clearly has an “earworm” going through her head.
The girl doesn’t stop singing — whether it’s while painting, jumping rope or playing in the playground.
They both buckle up. “Are you ready?” he asks. “Yeah!” she laughs. His hand swipes in front of the car stereo console and the 1993 Lenny Kravitz anthem, “Are You Gonna Go My Way” bursts forth.

She goes her own way.
...I wonder how rhey find kids like this, good actors, and natural. I suppose the family notices, and someone suggests to them...

Can you overdo cuteness? Is there a cuteness quotient or saturation point beyond which you get to a point of too much cuteness? This week’s Ad of the Week puts the cuteness factor to the test. It marks the launch of a sleeker, sportier-looking Golf, the new Golf 2017, which is nonetheless a family a model. This means a big part of the communication is what the car offers in terms of safety features, fuel economy and indoor comfort that appeals to a wide urban demographic.

The ad, “For the Love of the Drive”, follows the story of a little girl, from when she arrives at kindergarten to when she is picked up by her dad. Throughout the day, she’s singing and humming to herself (this is not a song you’ll quickly or easily recognise, unless you happen to be a diehard rock fan). Throughout the montage, we hear her little voice singing little snatches of lyrics, slightly out of tune; she clearly has an “earworm” going through her head.
The girl doesn’t stop singing — whether it’s while painting, jumping rope or playing in the playground. She gets a weird look from one of her classmates during music class, and even her teacher seems amused by her.

Yellow is clearly her favourite colour: she is wearing a yellow jersey, her painting is predominantly yellow, and it becomes clear why, when Dad comes to pick her up — his shiny new Volkswagen Golf is a trendy metallic mustardy-yellow colour.

They both buckle up. “Are you ready?” he asks. “Yeah!” she laughs. His hand swipes in front of the car stereo console and the 1993 Lenny Kravitz anthem, “Are You Gonna Go My Way” bursts forth.

Dad hams up the spoken line, “What I want to know is…” Then they both join in on the chorus: “Are you gonna go my way?” The little girl is really cute as she mimes to the drums and sings along.

The ad ends with the slogan, “New Golf. For the love of the drive.”

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Wow, so they were doing it like that even more than 20 years ago. ...And you only get to see the ad names, that the ad/marketing people used, on youtube.
They do the localization so well. ...I mean really well, accurately focussed on the market demographics and so on.

This one was very popular...

"Volkswagen South Africa, Ogilvy & Mather Cape Town and director Grey Gray of Velocity Films deliver a cuteness overload with a charming little vignette that steers the Golf brand well on the path of being, first and foremost, a family car."

:) So I followed the link, some ad guy's channel...like an ad review, with detailed explanation :-o

“For the Love of the Drive”, follows the story of a little girl, from when she arrives at kindergarten to when she is picked up by her dad. Throughout the day, she’s singing and humming to herself (this is not a song you’ll quickly or easily recognise, unless you happen to be a diehard rock fan). Throughout the montage, we hear her little voice singing little snatches of lyrics, slightly out of tune; she clearly has an “earworm” going through her head.
The girl doesn’t stop singing — whether it’s while painting, jumping rope or playing in the playground.

She goes her own way.
...I wonder how rhey find kids like this, good actors, and natural. I suppose the family notices, and someone suggests to them...

Can you overdo cuteness? Is there a cuteness quotient or saturation point beyond which you get to a point of too much cuteness? This week’s Ad of the Week puts the cuteness factor to the test. It marks the launch of a sleeker, sportier-looking Golf, the new Golf 2017, which is nonetheless a family a model. This means a big part of the communication is what the car offers in terms of safety features, fuel economy and indoor comfort that appeals to a wide urban demographic.

The ad, “For the Love of the Drive”, follows the story of a little girl, from when she arrives at kindergarten to when she is picked up by her dad. Throughout the day, she’s singing and humming to herself (this is not a song you’ll quickly or easily recognise, unless you happen to be a diehard rock fan). Throughout the montage, we hear her little voice singing little snatches of lyrics, slightly out of tune; she clearly has an “earworm” going through her head.
The girl doesn’t stop singing — whether it’s while painting, jumping rope or playing in the playground. She gets a weird look from one of her classmates during music class, and even her teacher seems amused by her.

Yellow is clearly her favourite colour: she is wearing a yellow jersey, her painting is predominantly yellow, and it becomes clear why, when Dad comes to pick her up — his shiny new Volkswagen Golf is a trendy metallic mustardy-yellow colour.

Dad hams up the spoken line, “What I want to know is…” Then they both join in on the chorus: “Are you gonna go my way?” The little girl is really cute as she mimes to the drums and sings along.

The ad ends with the slogan, “New Golf. For the love of the drive.”
Love this!

Katji

Major Contributor
Love this!
It's good when you don't mind how many times you see it while you're watching tv.

Oh, btw, i'm watching now, World Athletics Championships @ Eugene Oregon. Producers were smart enough to do intro with a few seconds aerial video of Portland and some forest trail. Bright blue sky.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning

MAB

Major Contributor
I feel like this isn't a genre talked about much in this forum. It's up there for me. They're nice for doing some chores around the house, trying to relax, but also for serious listening.
Yeah, new to me too. I can't quite put my finger on it... Which is great!

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
American Business Penmanship in action.

I can’t think of anyone alive today who has a smoother way of executing this classic handwriting technique than this man.

OP
JeffS7444

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
American Business Penmanship in action.

I can’t think of anyone alive today who has a smoother way of executing this classic handwriting technique than this man.
It's beautiful, though the pace is much slower than I'm accustomed to.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I was going to post the one thing that has recently occurred, It is very good, and admit I laughed :D, I also phoned a friend and said “you watching this shit?, about bloody time”.

OP
JeffS7444

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I've found a dream car: Caterham 170S: 450 kg. 660 cc 3-cylinder engine, built to Japanese kei-car standards.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
It's beautiful, though the pace is much slower than I'm accustomed to.
Yeah I guess this is neat letter writing pace.

Out of interest, what do you mean by accustomed to? Are you an arm movement writer yourself?

Midnight Audiophile

I dislike that auto tune is being used and basically hidden but it's good people are starting to point it out:
It's going to suck if it becomes widespread on classic recordings and its use is not disclosed.

OP
JeffS7444

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of interest, what do you mean by accustomed to? Are you an arm movement writer yourself?
No, not at all, in fact this is the first time I've heard that term. But I feel that even as a child learning to write, I might have been admonished to write faster.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

Tassin

The world's best beer

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJtaXJyb3IuZ2V0Zmxvd2JveC5jb20uZXUtd2VzdC0xLmxpdmUiLCJrZXkiOiJhSFIwY0hNNkx5OTNkM2N1YVc1emRHRm5jbUZ0TG1OdmJTOXdMME5qWlVodFVrbDFiSEphTHc9PS90aHVtYm5haWwiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6IndlYnAiLCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjY0MH19fQ==

Old Listener

["White blood cells have been made into a kind of micro-robot that could treat and prevent life threatening scientists in China."]

... now I read that again, the author could have phrased that much better, proof read or at least used a comma! :D :facepalm:

JSmith
Way more fun this way.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Car ad

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom