• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Things I Thought I Knew Were Wrong...Where To Go From Here?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate the terms lofi and midfi. Its just price point audiophile magazine type bullshit. Glad you realized that there's nothing wrong with modernizing, tho. I did that almost 40 years ago. If you like your speakers, you like your speakers.

OP
M

MidFi

if you already have one, a full size camera tripod (with a few female to male thread adapters) will work too...
No such luck.

Right about now, I'm imagining a guy/gal at AMAZON thinking, "Why can't this clown order all of this crap at one time. Our driver is tired of this nonsense."

OP
M

MidFi

I hate the terms lofi and midfi. Its just price point audiophile magazine type bullshit. Glad you realized that there's nothing wrong with modernizing, tho. I did that almost 40 years ago. If you like your speakers, you like your speakers.
My apologies if my screenname, or any of the terminology I may have used got under your skin. I do hope your day gets better.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My apologies if my screenname, or any of the terminology I may have used got under your skin. I do hope your day gets better.
I just comment on it when I see that terminology, as it's just so wrong. The gear remains hi-fi. Maybe not the hi-fi-est but even high end stuff often isn't.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I looked at that Eico, and that doesn't look like a good amp with such a small output transformers. It looks it's a cheap EL84 PP amp with transformers that are to small to be good. I would replace that amp anyway as main amp. Output transformers are the most critical part of a tube amp, and those in the EICO look not up to the task concerning size.

0aC2ZAq.jpg

The 902 also roll of early like the 288 (even earlier), and proballty can use a supertweeter. And that 511B horn does not help (but is ok for the rest) I guess you got an A7 or so with a 515 as bass? It's not a bad set, but a bit limited in bandwith. I prefer the 288/416 combo (but don't own none).

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Enjoyed reading this thread. It's nice to read something positive with a lot of useful suggestions.

There are a couple of other things worth saying, but not that much.

regarding EQ. If you are going to continue using the turntable and are going to use EQ to improve speaker output, you'll need to do that in a way that can take analogue input from a turntable. Roon isn't that, as it's a file player. You'll need a device that can digitise and process the audio from the phono amp (or from the turntable and apply the RIAA processing to it). Of course, you can still play from the turntable without the EQ straight into a different amp input. Some people prefer to do that. You could digitise your records, or just ditch them for streaming, of course.

I would definitely investigate more modern speakers, but only when everything works with the ones you have already.

Top Bottom