• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Things I Thought I Knew Were Wrong...Where To Go From Here?

MidFi

What I thought I knew.
  1. There is no way I could be content listening to a digital music source.
  2. There is no way I could be content listening to a solid state amplifier.
  3. There is no way I could be content listening to anything but my Altec horn-based speakers.

A few months ago, I decided to revive my old LoFi stereo system. The system consisted of a pair of Altec drivers/horns with JBL woofers, 4 tube amplifiers, and a vintage turntable. As the system had been sitting for quite a few years, I knew this would be a process, rather than an event. I rolled up my sleeves, and got my checkbook out.

The first issue I ran into was that my turntable would need some work done to it. So that I would have a sound source while I serviced the turntable, I purchased a cheap DAC and DVD player. When I hooked this stuff up, I was taken aback. This was not the cold, sterile, flat digital sound that I remember from 25 years ago. In fact, it sounded distinctly better than the old turntable. Are my old ears failing me? Is the old turntable in that bad of shape? Has technology advanced to the point that digital music can be rendered tolerable, even enjoyable? I have unanswered questions. However, I will admit that what I thought I knew was wrong.

The second issue that I ran into was that my amplifiers would need to be upgraded and/or serviced. So that I would have some amplification while I underwent this process, I purchased a cheap little solid state amplifier, and hooked it up. Oh, dear God. Say it ain't so. This $100 solid state toy sounds better than my vintage push-pull el84 amps, and every bit as good as a single-ended 6l6 amplifier. I don't have an operational 300b amplifier, at the moment, so I can't make a legitimate judgment call there. In any case, this is just not the cold, sterile, flat solid state crap that I remember from 25 years ago. Again, are my old ears failing me? Has technology advanced to the point that solid state amplification can be rendered tolerable, even enjoyable? I'm at a loss. All I can say is that it appears that what I thought I knew was wrong.

The third issue that presents itself involves the old Altec/JBL speakers. NOPE!!! I have not found that they suck. However, given that everything else that I thought I knew was wrong, am I wrong about this too?!?!?

At this moment, I am sitting and listening to (even enjoying) some bluegrass playing through what seems to be a bizarre (and wildly inexpensive) MidFi stereo system. I have more questions than I have answers.

As it operates, the system consists of:

Altec drivers/horns with JBL woofers.
SMSL D-6 DAC with a $30 DVD player
Aiyima A07 Pro amplifier
SVS subwoofer

The ten million dollar question is, “Where do I go from here?”

I would love to hear any thoughts you might have about this. At this point, it's all just food for thought, and all in fun. Thanks for the platform, and for your time/consideration.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I thought I knew.
  3. There is no way I could be content listening to anything but my Altec horn-based speakers.

A few months ago, I decided to revive my old LoFi stereo system. The system consisted of a pair of Altec drivers/horns with JBL woofers, 4 tube amplifiers, and a vintage turntable. As the system had been sitting for quite a few years, I knew this would be a process, rather than an event. I rolled up my sleeves, and got my checkbook out.

The first issue I ran into was that my turntable would need some work done to it. So that I would have a sound source while I serviced the turntable, I purchased a cheap DAC and DVD player. When I hooked this stuff up, I was taken aback. This was not the cold, sterile, flat digital sound that I remember from 25 years ago. In fact, it sounded distinctly better than the old turntable. Are my old ears failing me? Is the old turntable in that bad of shape? Has technology advanced to the point that digital music can be rendered tolerable, even enjoyable? I have unanswered questions. However, I will admit that what I thought I knew was wrong.

The second issue that I ran into was that my amplifiers would need to be upgraded and/or serviced. So that I would have some amplification while I underwent this process, I purchased a cheap little solid state amplifier, and hooked it up. Oh, dear God. Say it ain't so. This $100 solid state toy sounds better than my vintage push-pull el84 amps, and every bit as good as a single-ended 6l6 amplifier. I don't have an operational 300b amplifier, at the moment, so I can't make a legitimate judgment call there. In any case, this is just not the cold, sterile, flat solid state crap that I remember from 25 years ago. Again, are my old ears failing me? Has technology advanced to the point that solid state amplification can be rendered tolerable, even enjoyable? I'm at a loss. All I can say is that it appears that what I thought I knew was wrong.

The third issue that presents itself involves the old Altec/JBL speakers. NOPE!!! I have not found that they suck. However, given that everything else that I thought I knew was wrong, am I wrong about this too?!?!?

At this moment, I am sitting and listening to (even enjoying) some bluegrass playing through what seems to be a bizarre (and wildly inexpensive) MidFi stereo system. I have more questions than I have answers.

Aiyima A07 Pro amplifier
SVS subwoofer

I would love to hear any thoughts you might have about this. At this point, it's all just food for thought, and all in fun. Thanks for the platform, and for your time/consideration.
Well 3. is obviously correct.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you are happy with the sound then you have arrived, if you perceive any problems then address them... it is very likely that your system would benefit from the addition of DSP to smooth out and possibly extend the high end as well as correcting room issues, but that is easier said than done.

I have heard so many DIY systems that were seriously over "corrected" by a heavy handed equalization approach. Usually less is more.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are happy with the sound then you have arrived, if you perceive a problem then address them... it is very likely that your system would benefit from the addition of DSP to smooth out and possibly extend the high end as well as correcting room issues, but that is easier said than done.

I have heard so many DIY systems that were seriously over "corrected" by a heavy handed equalization approach. Usually less is more.
Yes, this. It took me years to master EQ. You can ruin things really easily.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously, my only suggestion is you can better Altec drivers using TAD drivers.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
What I thought I knew.

Aiyima A07 Pro amplifier
SVS subwoofer

Welcome Aboard @MidFi and enjoy your journey of rediscovery. So much has changed in 25 years. ;)

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I thought I knew.

Here's hoping it doesn't set you back $10M to get to wherever your preferences lie... :)

I am in my late 50s. Have considered myself an "audiophile" my entire life, but always driven by a genuine love for music. But I *did* get drawn into gear territory, and ended up with a $50k system *(which may not sound like that much to some on here) with the usual - great clean power (Accuphase) and big-ish tower speakers from a highly regarded company (won't mention names to not offend anyone later on).

I lived and loved that system for many years - lived in that house for 14 years. Then divorce. Then a smaller, downsized place for me. And the big-multibox gear (and there are much bigger ones out there) and the tower speakers both looked out of place and sounded questionable in my new place. So I decided to put the gear in storage (where it still is), and get myself something more compact. I was lucky that this exercise happened when the KEF LS50 came out, because they are super versatile and sound good anywhere, pretty much. But I ended up with a system that consisted of Totem Element Fire, a Benchmark DAC2HCG DAC, a NAD M22 amp, and a sub. And it *did* sound better to me than my previous system had in the same place.

Then one day, the Benchmark broke and needed to go back to get serviced. And several things happened: a friend was very interested in the Totems (he plays piano and loved the black lacquer look, and the new Totems no longer had the gunmetal framing around the woofers) and took them home to try them out.

So I went for an emergency solution: I got a NAD D7050 out of a box (I had broken up my my GF and had moved some stuff out of her place) and put the racing red LS50 I still had (no way I was parting with those) on the stands. Connected the D7050 to my Squeezebox streamer and to the TV, connected the sub and set xover at 70Hz. I lokked at it and said, "Wow this looks VERY nice and tidy!" and then listened to it - usual test tune setup optimization... then my favorite tracks and went "Wow, and it sounds great, too!".

I love the looks and am totally satisfied with the SQ in my place.

When the Benchmark came back from the shop, I didn't put things back together. Some months later I sold the Benchmark and the NAD power amp. I still live with my "emergency solution" and am very happy with it - I stopped looking for gear, although stuff like the LS60 or the Kii do pique my interest. I also kept the old mega gear in case I move into a larger place again.

Re-thinking beliefs we have held for a very long time is always a very healthy exercise. :)

Last edited:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's a real mind-bender isn't it :) Enjoy the music.

One thought... try a simple, good, streamer (WiiM mini is peanuts, connect to your WiFi, optical cable to your DAC) and see your music library explode.

Good luck

Philbo King

What I thought I knew.

Aiyima A07 Pro amplifier
SVS subwoofer

Just goes to demonstrate the old adage:
Don't believe everything that you think.

OP
M

MidFi

If you are happy with the sound then you have arrived, if you perceive any problems then address them... it is very likely that your system would benefit from the addition of DSP to smooth out and possibly extend the high end as well as correcting room issues, but that is easier said than done.

Thanks for the reply.

Whether, or not, I "have arrived" is an interesting question. I never thought I would be where I am with this, at this point.

Before I do anything else, I will get out of my own way, and listen to some opinions/advice of some of those with greater knowledge than I have.

I do appreciate your input. Thanks a million.

OP
M

MidFi

It's a real mind-bender isn't it :) Enjoy the music.

One thought... try a simple, good, streamer (WiiM mini is peanuts, connect to your WiFi, optical cable to your DAC) and see your music library explode.

Good luck
Yes, this has been eye-opening, to say the least.

I was actually considering the possibility of adding a streamer just this morning. In fact, I was reading about the one you are suggesting.

Forgive me, I have about ZERO knowledge about how all of these gadgets interconnect. Would I be able to subscribe to say Tidal, and use my laptop as my "source," were I to tread this path?

My apologies if I am using the wrong terminology here. And, thanks for your insight.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
The new adage follows.

I'm an idiot!!!
You already sound smarter than 90% of the newbies we get. Idiots are unable to learn new things and maintain an open mind. You already proven your able to do both. Yes you can stream from your laptop to a preamp. You might need a few new cables. Streamers have revolutionized how music is consumed. Take your time and enjoy the learning and discovery. It really is the best part!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...checks fpitas' avatar...

'tis about right.

I don't care to sense that I am sitting in the front row of an Alison Krauss concert. I prefer to sense that she is sitting in the room with me.
Exactly. Horns are big and expensive, and the EQ and crossover design are brutal. But what you said ;)

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I thought I knew.

Aiyima A07 Pro amplifier
SVS subwoofer

You could go active with Genelec or Neumann, use the SMSL and a phone and you’d need nothing else.

JeremyFife

Yes, this has been eye-opening, to say the least.

I was actually considering the possibility of adding a streamer just this morning. In fact, I was reading about the one you are suggesting.

Forgive me, I have about ZERO knowledge about how all of these gadgets interconnect. Would I be able to subscribe to say Tidal, and use my laptop as my "source," were I to tread this path?
I'm finding my way here too - it's fascinating.

For streaming, subscribe to whatever service appeals to you. If you go with WiiM then the app (phone, rather than laptop) can basically use your subscription to play music directly. Your phone becomes a remote control, it's not in the signal path.
You can use the WiiM app itself, or use the Tidal (or other) app and 'cast' it to the WiiM but that's a feature to worry about later - I don't bother.
It's much, much easier to do than to explain!

Give it a try.
Eventually you'll get sucked into a Roon conversation but start simply

Top Bottom