• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thiel Audio Liquidation Sale - speakers, drivers, electronics

chicago25624

In the very few reviews those post-Jim speakers had, they seemed to measure well. And the prices are very attractive.

But for those tempted to buy:

https://www.strata-gee.com/angling-at-auction-for-a-deal-on-thiel-heed-this-warning/
I was one of the many who was bidding, and just found your write up. As I read I was shaking in my boots until I got to the part about subwoofer drivers. Thank God that is the item I was successful in bidding on.

Any chance you have, or know someone who has, specs on the cabinet? We have some basic info, but would love to at least have a staring point for building the boxes.

Nice write up.

Mark

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was one of the many who was bidding, and just found your write up. As I read I was shaking in my boots until I got to the part about subwoofer drivers. Thank God that is the item I was successful in bidding on.

Any chance you have, or know someone who has, specs on the cabinet? We have some basic info, but would love to at least have a staring point for building the boxes.

Nice write up.

Mark

Sorry, I don't have that info. Jim Thiel's brother who used to work at Thiel is posting regularly in an Audiogon thread, but he left long before the last Thiel speakers were made.

The only possibility I can think of is contacting Rob Gillum at his website Coherent Source Service:

https://www.coherentsourceservice.com/

Rob was a long time Thiel employee, who helped build Thiel speakers. He continues to service Thiel Legacy speakers - all the Jim Thiel time/phase coherent designs before the company changed directions. However, I believe he was working for Thiel after Jim died and through some of the new company changes, so he may well be familiar with the newer speaker you are talking about.

Best of luck.

chicago25624

Sorry, I don't have that info. Jim Thiel's brother who used to work at Thiel is posting regularly in an Audiogon thread, but he left long before the last Thiel speakers were made.

The only possibility I can think of is contacting Rob Gillum at his website Coherent Source Service:

https://www.coherentsourceservice.com/

Rob was a long time Thiel employee, who helped build Thiel speakers. He continues to service Thiel Legacy speakers - all the Jim Thiel time/phase coherent designs before the company changed directions. However, I believe he was working for Thiel after Jim died and through some of the new company changes, so he may well be familiar with the newer speaker you are talking about.

Best of luck.
I set him a note a week ago, and he had the same bad news. No information, or leads.

Well, building enclosures used to be trial and error, and we shall see how many errors I make.

Thanks for quick response

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I set him a note a week ago, and he had the same bad news. No information, or leads.

Well, building enclosures used to be trial and error, and we shall see how many errors I make.

Best of luck! You are clearly vastly more DIY-friendly than I am.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Would this be if any help? Cheap, effective, and relatively straightforward.

Top Bottom