• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

They say speaker cables do not matter ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sngreen

Lately tried ACC 8TC braided speaker cable (often mentioned in the online reviews); it gets quite different presentation than fully shielded ofc variant. But I wonder why. With the braided cable I get somewhat more rounded sound with middle frequencies upfront (yet with very smooth and clear highlights), but not very exciting when listening at very low volumes. The 4n ofc gives to some degree brighter and more joyful sound (clear bass as well), but can get tiresome when played loud. What is the physics behind it?

thanks.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome!
gets quite different presentation than fully shielded ofc variant
How on earth fully shielded speaker wire would even be a thing?
What is the physics behind it?
In that case: none. There's a very high probability (to not say 100%) that you imagined differences that never existed.;)

Try to test again... but blind and see how it goes.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get somewhat more rounded sound
Here's the problem
1631517966530.png

OP
S

sngreen

Welcome!

How on earth fully shielded speaker wire would even be a thing?

Not because it is shielded, but because it is differently constructed (if I may say so), I should have reworded my post.

In that case: none. There's a very high probability (to not say 100%) that you imagined differences that never existed.;)

Try to test again... but blind and see how it goes.

The difference is not even subtle, if the system it is connect to does pick it up of course, and yes, I would pass the blind test on my system at any time.

The braided cable (exactly the one as in the image) gives a rather forward presentation, but very smooth, almost addictive; the first choice for the classical music or when played louder. Non-braided cable (the same as in the image) puts the stage back and gives more relaxed presentation, to some degree brighter, is my choice for the late night listen and at the very low volumes. Of course, I would not be switching them back and forward.

And so I wonder, what makes the braided cable sound so different from the other types of cables. Well, that was my question.

Attachments

• 8TC.jpg
    8TC.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 312
  • TODN.jpg
    TODN.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 2,011
OP
S

sngreen

That's another thing, different speakers are more preferred on different systems. One set sounded excellent in one setup, and I was about to sell the other, till I connected them both - one set at a time, to a more resolving system and ... voilà! - It is day and night, the ones I was about to sell stay! Same cable :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The difference is not even subtle, if the system it is connect to does pick it up of course, and yes, I would pass the blind test on my system at any time.

Good. Now let's see you do it.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Ohh lord please...not another one like this...why should we be punished every 15 days with this kind of thing...? Is it maybe time to put some sticky for this kind of matters...?

So instead of YOU trying to open a book or research a little bit about the matter, and maybe arrange some study/experiment and present us with actual proofs as to why “cable do matter”...you pretend the other way around?
For us to do the dirty work and waste time to change your mind, meaning that WE must show you proofs as to why cables doesn’t matter (at least in the way audiophool snake oil present it) ??

No boy, if you have claims of cables making a difference, you bring us the justification. And guess what, a single subjective perception means actually nothing. We are not inside your head to corroborate anything, and neither know the control taken for such comparison.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want these people to help you and discuss about physics, psychoasoustics, etc etc, it doesn't comes for free. You will have first to prove them that there is a difference that a human, you in this case, can hear. If you can eventually prove it to them, you will be rewarded with lots of questions and attention to explain what is going on. Otherwise, this thread is doomed. You have to understand that differences such the one you are describing are very unlikely if the only thing that changes is the speaker cable. If you want to convince anybody that these are real, you have to put some effort in it: set up an experiment, record the results, etc.

boswell

You should always use the cables that sound best to you as they will sound different to others. Cable implementation is very subjective and it is necessary to spend a lot of time getting the ones that sound best for you.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You should always use the cables that sound best to you as they will sound different to others. Cable implementation is very subjective and it is necessary to spend a lot of time getting the ones that sound best for you.
Complete and utter tosh.
Keith

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still cannot see how this is "fully shielded":
index.php

I would pass the blind test on my system at any time.
Then do it and come back after that.

Until then, we are not able to comment about a phenomenon that doesn't exist to begin with...
Do you know how often we've heard this before?
I lost the count a while ago.

I suggest this to new members creating such polarising first thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iles-posting-at-asr-for-the-first-time.17598/

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The braided cable (exactly the one as in the image) gives a rather forward presentation, but very smooth, almost addictive; the first choice for the classical music or when played louder. Non-braided cable (the same as in the image) puts the stage back and gives more relaxed presentation, to some degree brighter, is my choice for the late night listen and at the very low volumes. Of course, I would not be switching them back and forward.

And so I wonder, what makes the braided cable sound so different from the other types of cables. Well, that was my question.
There is one possibility that can account for a difference in sound. Braided cables have very low inductance and very high capacitance. Some amplifiers are very sensitive to this, as they have been badly designed with marginal stability. What you may be hearing isn't the difference in the cables, but the effects of a crappy amplifier. ANY amplifier worthy of being sold as HiFi, should be unconditionally stable, and immune to cable differences. Sadly, there are several that aren't unconditionally stable, these tend to make a virtue of that fact, with such bollocks as the amplifier is voiced for a certain cable. All it means is that the designer wants to create a mystique for their amps. That, or they have no idea how to design an amp.

S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom