• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

They forgot about the ears......

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
More nonsense from What (TF)! Hifi

Apparently it wasn't the limitations of my ears stopping me enjoying hi res, it was the fact I hadn't spent at least a grand on speakers.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
i actually tried reading that on my phone but it was too infested with overlaying adds...but then again, it's whathifi so i didn't miss much i'd dare saying

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i actually tried reading that on my phone but it was too infested with overlaying adds...but then again, it's whathifi so i didn't miss much i'd dare saying
TLDR buy more shit at a higher price. Preferably from people that pay us to advertise.

Reactions: GDK

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You might try the duckduckgo phone web browser or Brave browser. They'll block all those overlays. It is getting where most websites are unusable on an Android if you use Chrome. These two browsers make it usable again. I hate that the phone version of Chrome doesn't let you use ublock origin or similar add ons.

mansr

Major Contributor
You might try the duckduckgo phone web browser or Brave browser. They'll block all those overlays. It is getting where most websites are unusable on an Android if you use Chrome. These two browsers make it usable again. I hate that the phone version of Chrome doesn't let you use ublock origin or similar add ons.
No need to go out on the fringes. Firefox on Android supports ad blockers.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No need to go out on the fringes. Firefox on Android supports ad blockers.
It does, but the two I mention do so without any add ons, and also do a better job than Firefox with add ons. Brave isn't all that much fringe anyway. It is quite a good browser and has been growing in terms of users pretty rapidly. It has some better ability to interface with websites than Firefox because underneath it is based upon the Chromium engine.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
There really ought to be a law that these guys (or gals) should have to prove they can actually hear what they are claiming to hear when they publish crap like this. They should have to show that they can identify hi-res from 320kb mp3 in some reasonably-authoritative way...on any speakers they choose.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
"...now more and more audio kit supports hi-res as standard, too. Heck, your iPhone can now too."

They mentioned the "iPhone" is hi-res (in the iPhone article) because the DAC in that cheap dongle can 24/48. My acer monitor can do 16/48 and my motherboards cheap realtek chip "can" do 24/192, I guess what-hifi would consider that "hi-res" too.

"..but hi-res audio and Bluetooth still don’t exactly see eye to eye. Push that ceiling higher to truly lossless 24-bit, or find an alternative way to wirelessly transmit higher-quality music on the go (as Apple might well be doing), and the hi-res world opens up exponentially."

Hypothetically, let's say there is a true lossless bluetooth and your wireless headphones can handle "hi-res". There is a bit of a problem still, the amp. Only thing limiting you now is the amp, I say this because wireless headphones are removing the 3.5mm input, so your stuck with the amp. You could have the best sounding drivers but have a terrible amp. That is why lots of true music lovers use wired because they have better control of quality. Why do you think wireless HDMI isn't much of a thing these days.

"While FLAC is open and therefore widely natively supported by devices (save Apple ones), Apple and ALAC are restricted to use with Apple creations, while MQA technology requires specific MQA-licensed product compatibility for optimal playback. Wouldn’t it just be easier if everything played nice, eh?"

There is pretty misleading what-hifi, in your another article you said iPhones support FLAC. Even if other Apple products don't support FLAC, just convert it to a ALAC and stop being a baby. What hi-fi should be thankful were not streaming WAV's. I'm not gonna talk about MQA, we all know MQA is garbage.

"Just because something can play hi-res audio and might wear a badge to say as much doesn’t mean it’s qualified to do it justice."
Then why did mention the iPhone article earlier and call the stock dongle "technically hi-res".

"We’re all for consumers warming up to the better audio quality now available to them.."
I guess they forgot the Compact Disc existed since 1982.

Finding a quote in the next section is like finding diamonds at the center of the earth. Basically to sum it up at the end of the article "Most people cannot tell the difference between a 320kbps stream (Unknown format) and hi-res when using junk equipment. A few hundred pounds in equipment lands you in CD territory and not able to enjoy hi-res. They want people to get "decent" gear to play hi-res audio"

I don't know Becky Roberts well but I am very certain you shouldn't get "hifi" advice from somebody that spends there own time watching horror movies and eating gluten-free cake while being a major company ass kisser.

Taddpole

More nonsense from What (TF)! Hifi

Apparently it wasn't the limitations of my ears stopping me enjoying hi res, it was the fact I hadn't spent at least a grand on speakers.

I'd not long finished reading that. I thought my word the author is robbing a living, can't have been doing it long, oh 8 years.

It was such an empty article.

Top Bottom