• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

There is something very, very wrong with today’s music

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I was born in 1962 so technically I am a boomer.

Millennials stand to inherit over $68 trillion from Baby Boomer and early Gen X parents by the year 2030, setting them up to potentially be the most wealthy generation in U.S. history

So if y’all start making better music we will think about handing our money over ROFL
Just kidding 0.o
Overflood the second hand market with McIntosh gear that I can resell in Europe for ridiculous prices. Help a Spaniard in need. :D

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Lol!

I wish I could help you out, unless you know someone… as the saying goes they cost an arm and a leg lol
I´ll give you an example: MI347 amplifier, 5500 $ in the US, 8000 € over here. Imagine what could be overcharged for vintage stuff...

Andretti60

" . . . Indeed, considerable evidence suggests that the brains of older adults have the capacity for plasticity [11]. For example, engagement in physical activity (e.g., aerobic exercise [12,13,14]; non-aerobic exercise [15]; ballet [16]) and cognitively stimulating leisure activities (e.g., music [17], dancing [18], and chess [19]) have been shown to benefit the aging brain and cognition, as well as to reduce the risk of dementia [20]. Given the increasing aging population and the expected rise in the prevalence of Alzheimer’s disease over the next 40 years [21], it is important to determine lifestyle factors that benefit the aging brain.

Musical practice has been found to benefit cognitive function and brain health in older adults [17]. Musical training involves sensory systems, motor systems, and cognitive processes at multiple levels [22,23], and playing a musical instrument is associated with superior cognitive performance in older adults [17,24,25]. Interestingly, the cognitive benefits of music in older adults extend beyond tasks related to musical skills to include cognitive processes such as executive function, attention, inhibition, memory, cognitive flexibility, spatial ability, and processing speed [17]. Variables relating to musical practice, such as the intensity of the musical activity [26], maintaining the practice into older age [26,27,28], type of training [26], training duration [28], and earlier age of onset [26,27,29] have also been found to play a role in cognitive sparing and improvements . . . "

Watch out, those studies do not show that listening (or playing) music (among other activities) “improve the intelligence”, rather improve the “cognitive functions”, they are very different.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Watch out, those studies do not show that listening (or playing) music (among other activities) “improve the intelligence”, rather improve the “cognitive functions”, they are very different.
Really? Show us how an improvement in cognitive function doesn't ultimately indicate an improvement in intelligence. As far as I'm concerned, it does. It's up to you to prove otherwise.

Andretti60

Really? Show us how an improvement in cognitive function doesn't ultimately indicate an improvement in intelligence. As far as I'm concerned, it does. It's up to you to prove otherwise.
The issue here is to define what “intelligence” means. We still don’t have a good definition, rather we have various definitions that applies to different aspect of intelligence (for example verbal or visual). There are activities that stimulate certain areas of the brain and therefore help to keep us sharp (including physical activities that help the blood flow in the brain), but they do not necessary make us more intelligent.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"Hey everybody, I'm Rick Beato, so I've been on this kick lately about music becoming less and less complex over the last, I don't know, 30 years, 40 years or so, and I keep thinking:

What is the most complicated song I've ever played that ls a pop song, and I was reminded of a gig that I played in 1983."

ambience

"Hey everybody, I'm Rick Beato, so I've been on this kick lately about music becoming less and less complex over the last, I don't know, 30 years, 40 years or so, and I keep thinking:

What is the most complicated song I've ever played that ls a pop song, and I was reminded of a gig that I played in 1983."

Considering the bel canto era of the early 1800's, technically music has been in decline for longer than that.

According to Wikipedia:
The phrase was not associated with a "school" of singing until the middle of the 19th century, when writers in the early 1860s used it nostalgically to describe a manner of singing that had begun to wane around 1830.[2]

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well I seem to be bucking trends. In my working days the only station on FM I could get was a classic rock station. They played those hit songs that I grew up on to death to the point I was sick of hearing them. So that trend still exist and except for very few select "classic songs" I never listen to them anymore.
I would like to argue that for someone like me it's harder and easier to find music I like, harder in the since that I never find a song anymore through radio, but easier in the since that I have access to music library's that I never had in the past through streaming services, but that can be daunting at times filtering through them, which is hard.
There is a lot of good music being released all the time if ya look for it.

Last edited:

12Many

Good thread. I think people are sheaple and just like what is shoved at them and what they are told is cool. There is lots of great music being made with great lyrics, it is just not mainstream. One of the highlights of my week is when I find a band I like or even a few songs that I really like. I spend time each week looking. My son's music teacher would joke about how ****** mainstream music is right now. One of the pop songs was 2 chords in it and he said any beginner guitar player could play it. Many bands don't have any great musicians in them. Just simple stuff and autotune. I blame the listeners accepting junk music, but that is life. I drive by Mcdonalds and everyday it is packed - yet they serve crap food. Starbucks is bitter or full of sugar. Most movies are crap - even the actors complain about green screen and constant CG. But those movies are top of the box every weekend. Same story with audio quality. That's life. I just try to be happy.

ADU

Major Contributor
Good thread. I think people are sheaple and just like what is shoved at them and what they are told is cool. There is lots of great music being made with great lyrics, it is just not mainstream. One of the highlights of my week is when I find a band I like or even a few songs that I really like. I spend time each week looking. My son's music teacher would joke about how ****** mainstream music is right now. One of the pop songs was 2 chords in it and he said any beginner guitar player could play it. Many bands don't have any great musicians in them. Just simple stuff and autotune. I blame the listeners accepting junk music, but that is life. I drive by Mcdonalds and everyday it is packed - yet they serve crap food. Starbucks is bitter or full of sugar. Most movies are crap - even the actors complain about green screen and constant CG. But those movies are top of the box every weekend. Same story with audio quality. That's life. I just try to be happy.

I have some difficulty taking all the above at face value, 12Many. You are certainly entitled to your opinion though, just like everyone else.

I like older movies. But also happen to like alot of newer music and musicians. But that is just my opinion. And it doesn't really mean anything. If you get the chance, maybe you'll post some examples of the music and artists you like in one or two of the threads here so others can check them out.

Last edited:

hodmx

I'm sitting here listening to Emerson, Lake and Palmer (ELP) on vinyl through a tube amp. They just make them like that anymore.
I listen mostly Tidal and Deezer, both streaming services have learned my musical preferences so now the suggestions they send are mostly on target. Just two days ago Deezer send me this
It makes me remember ELP

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen mostly Tidal and Deezer, both streaming services have learned my musical preferences so now the suggestions they send are mostly on target. Just two days ago Deezer send me this
It makes me remember ELP
Yes, absolutely. I like it very much. But can they do it live with only 3 people? (Like ELP?) Maybe more people is OK.
But live, for an audience, out of a studio?

In 1972 Edgar Winter formed The Edgar Winter Group which included Dan Hartman, Ronnie Montrose and Chuck Ruff

The Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein (1973 Live @ The Old Grey Whistle Test)​

Originally called the drum song in development, there was so much tape on the cutting room floor the song earned its name and Edgar's fame.

By the time he was of college age Edgar had become competent on keyboards, bass, guitar and drums.

And they could play it live! (Just like ELP!)

In live performances of the song, Edgar Winter further pioneered the advancement of the synthesizer as a lead instrument by becoming the first person ever to strap a keyboard instrument around his neck, giving him the on-stage mobility and audience interaction of guitar players.

Rick Derringer & Edgar Winter Frankenstein performing Frankenstein with Ringo Starr's all Star Band 2010

Well worth watching both of these to see the songs evolution in live performances!

Axo1989

Major Contributor
It makes me remember ELP

Ok ELP are so much before my time but a friend of mine (a weirdo of course, he's an engineer and Christian) loves them so I have heard them. These women are impressive, resurrecting that sound.

Also, welcome.

ferrellms

I see ways of looking at it.
1. we are past the peak of our culture and the stagnation in the entertainment industry is indicative of this.
2. We are just having a lul inbetween explosions of creativity that will catapult our culture into the future.
How about the enduring bias toward boomer culture due to boomer affluence?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Rap, hip-hop, you can't even call that music in my book...
You know @Sal1950 :oops:
Soulfulness, love, hate, feelings of oppression or depression and being drunk/stoned has brought us much of the music of the 20th Century.
To NOT call rap and hip-hop music is almost akin to ghosting Motown, or cancelling C&W or calling the Blues racist. :(
But if you had included "disco" in your negativity; you woulda gotten a "Like" from me! ;)

sq225917

Major Contributor
Kiyo and sen, ladies talk, live on YouTube. Yeh they can hustle.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
kiyo and sen

ummm... this is what i would call "Gran Turismo" music

and this is from someone who loves Gran Turismo and that genre of music that the creators, Sony Polyphony Digital, have introduced to a western audience

i would say music and cinema is driven by money... what is going to sell

a good example would be the movie "Master and Commander" 2003, the Russell Crowe period piece. This is probably one of the best movies ever made but even for 2003 I question how this was ever greenlit and obviously such a movie could not be made today.

And so from someone who grew up in an era of INXS and Cold Chisel I wonder where this generation's equivalent music is?

To me my music tastes come and go but its always of the same era... I'm currently hooked on Elton John... and only relatively recently did I 'discover' Steve Perry and Journey. I kind of know that's strange being they have been defunct for decades.

On a more recent sort of thing. I quite like Lady Gaga but I dont tend to like any of the music she writes herself. But her stuff like Tony Bennett is what I love.

Top Bottom