• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

There is something very, very wrong with today’s music

Jds81

Dont you have any sence of humour ? I like Bach, and he died 1750;)
Ah, the cmon I'm joking stage of the troll. He'll be a little troll butterfly soon, or moth, or bat... I'm not sure how it goes.
How's that for humor? Too current? ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How on earth did a thread about the merits (or not) of new music get hijacked by such bizarre hobby-horsing???
Internet.jpg

Tangband

Major Contributor
Go for artists that do. I mean, there's plenty on the section of "rock" I listen to, so it's quite possible than on the other subgenres, there are plenty who still play together.

I think Regatta de Blanc is more rounded. I'm partial to Ghost in the Machine not so much for the music but due to the reference to Koestler (i got some papers around his works) and the very dark tone of the album. ;)
Zenyatta mondatta is also a very good album.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Worth watching

Robin L

Master Contributor
Good or bad system, there is no evidence that listening or performing music makes any difference to intelligence. If you know of studies that back up your claim, post them. Otherwise its just more noise.

" . . . Indeed, considerable evidence suggests that the brains of older adults have the capacity for plasticity [11]. For example, engagement in physical activity (e.g., aerobic exercise [12,13,14]; non-aerobic exercise [15]; ballet [16]) and cognitively stimulating leisure activities (e.g., music [17], dancing [18], and chess [19]) have been shown to benefit the aging brain and cognition, as well as to reduce the risk of dementia [20]. Given the increasing aging population and the expected rise in the prevalence of Alzheimer’s disease over the next 40 years [21], it is important to determine lifestyle factors that benefit the aging brain.

Musical practice has been found to benefit cognitive function and brain health in older adults [17]. Musical training involves sensory systems, motor systems, and cognitive processes at multiple levels [22,23], and playing a musical instrument is associated with superior cognitive performance in older adults [17,24,25]. Interestingly, the cognitive benefits of music in older adults extend beyond tasks related to musical skills to include cognitive processes such as executive function, attention, inhibition, memory, cognitive flexibility, spatial ability, and processing speed [17]. Variables relating to musical practice, such as the intensity of the musical activity [26], maintaining the practice into older age [26,27,28], type of training [26], training duration [28], and earlier age of onset [26,27,29] have also been found to play a role in cognitive sparing and improvements . . . "

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
" . . . Indeed, considerable evidence suggests that the brains of older adults have the capacity for plasticity [11]. For example, engagement in physical activity (e.g., aerobic exercise [12,13,14]; non-aerobic exercise [15]; ballet [16]) and cognitively stimulating leisure activities (e.g., music [17], dancing [18], and chess [19]) have been shown to benefit the aging brain and cognition, as well as to reduce the risk of dementia [20]. Given the increasing aging population and the expected rise in the prevalence of Alzheimer’s disease over the next 40 years [21], it is important to determine lifestyle factors that benefit the aging brain.

Musical practice has been found to benefit cognitive function and brain health in older adults [17]. Musical training involves sensory systems, motor systems, and cognitive processes at multiple levels [22,23], and playing a musical instrument is associated with superior cognitive performance in older adults [17,24,25]. Interestingly, the cognitive benefits of music in older adults extend beyond tasks related to musical skills to include cognitive processes such as executive function, attention, inhibition, memory, cognitive flexibility, spatial ability, and processing speed [17]. Variables relating to musical practice, such as the intensity of the musical activity [26], maintaining the practice into older age [26,27,28], type of training [26], training duration [28], and earlier age of onset [26,27,29] have also been found to play a role in cognitive sparing and improvements . . . "

You’re right on this. I should have put there any isn’t evidence certain types of music benefit more than others and that music isn’t unique in the benefits it provides.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and the great links.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Zenyatta mondatta is also a very good album.
There are some oddities like Canary in a Coal Mine or Man in a Suitcase. However, they risked less. Best Police is weird Police.

You’re right on this. I should have put there any isn’t evidence certain types of music benefit more than others and that music isn’t unique in the benefits it provides.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and the great links.
Anecdotal evidence is just that, but I can confirm that engaging in activities that force your brain to create abstractions, do help.

I'm at a very dark moment of my life. For years I have been suffering from depression, anxiety and precarity. I have attempted suicide a couple times and there is no real help to get out. I try to survive in a dose of music, writing and exercise. There are no really good days, but the really bad are gone.

Tangband

Major Contributor
There are some oddities like Canary in a Coal Mine or Man in a Suitcase. However, they risked less. Best Police is weird Police.
Man in a suitcase is one of the best examples of music with great ” pace, rythm and timing ” . This was the song that started my journey of hifi . I listened to this song with a Linn lp12 as source in a store . I had never heard anything like it, such a great song with great musicians .

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Man in a suitcase is one of the best examples of music with great ” pace, rythm and timing ” . This was the song that started my journey of hifi . I listened to this song with a Linn lp12 as source in a store . I had never heard anything like it, such a great song with great musicians .
Offbeats from Caribbean music played with accuracy. Nothing particularly complex, but quite tasteful. :)

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Anecdotal evidence is just that, but I can confirm that engaging in activities that force your brain to create abstractions, do help.

I'm at a very dark moment of my life. For years I have been suffering from depression, anxiety and precarity. I have attempted suicide a couple times and there is no real help to get out. I try to survive in a dose of music, writing and exercise. There are no really good days, but the really bad are gone.
I’m sorry you are going through that. I also have depression and generalized anxiety disorder. It sucks. I’m glad music helps.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
... Anecdotal evidence is just that, but I can confirm that engaging in activities that force your brain to create abstractions, do help.

I'm sorry to hear this too. I wish you all the best fwiw.

Music is a truly great thing isn't it? The most difficult time of my adult life I listened to all of Faithless for as long as it took to get through. It surely helped. Of course I can't listen to them any more.

Your expressed musical taste is interesting. Mine is not precisely the same but personally I usually find upbeat music and latin or blues rhythms depressing, but darker or downbeat music reassuring or cathartic. As I said elsewhere in this thread perhaps, we all have different damage and thus enjoy different therapy.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I’m sorry you are going through that. I also have depression and generalized anxiety disorder. It sucks. I’m glad music helps.

I don't have to deal with that long-term. I sorry you do also, tough I imagine, take care.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm sorry to hear this too. I wish you all the best fwiw.

Music is a truly great thing isn't it? The most difficult time of my adult life I listened to all of Faithless for as long as it took to get through. It surely helped. Of course I can't listen to them any more.

Your expressed musical taste is interesting. Mine is not precisely the same but personally I usually find upbeat music and latin or blues rhythms depressing, but darker or downbeat music reassuring or cathartic. As I said elsewhere in this thread perhaps, we all have different damage and thus enjoy different therapy.
I do not fear my dissapearence, I fear not being able to endure suffering. A decade of it is something I do not wish upon almost anybody.

Lyrics like the following, help me put things in perspective:

"I have come to bring death, terror, and destruction
Yes, the arkhè of this world is fire!
But for all the smoke that rises
Something must also come down!
Should their scales be gripped
Should they sneer at the dance around balance
The sentencing from the stars will scream
Death, silence, and oblivion!"

JaccoW

I'm pretty sure the last 25 tracks I played were Bach, but in any case, this Boomer would like to say:

View attachment 223071
79ad03249954a1f3dc77bd57eeecf724d6-03-clint-eastwood-rnc.2x.h473.w710.jpg

While Gran Torino was a great movie, please take a seat instead of talking to it. The poor guy (Eastwood) is clearly senile.

I think a good mixture of modern music and some old classics is a great way to enjoy music. Nothing wrong with cherry picking the very best songs from the past couple of decades but to say old music was better... I have a 4 hour 80's radio recording on reel to reel that proves otherwise. There is some absolute uninspired garbage in there.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is somewhat telling that one of the greatest musicians Ritchie Blackmore liked to make rather simple songs compared with his skills. Does anyone remember a source? Some people just like simple music and there is nothing wrong with that.

egellings

Major Contributor
I think the more monetized music gets, the blander and more same-sounding it gets.

egellings

Major Contributor
No, it's just a general, overarching force on popular, high sales music.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The industry has also changed, and when it comes to pop/rock music in particular, AOR (album-oriented rock) is not the dominant format that it was from the 1970s through the mid-1990s.
There were also albums on which one side was dance music and the other was romantic, love making music.

As to the AOR: (particularly with Prog Rock) Perhaps because telling a story through a bunch of songs that are organized like a novel takes too much time & creativity for the money involved? Like the difference between writing a novel and a short story? Or because there are shorter attention spans? (People may not want to commit to a novel & just read a short story). Or people just have other things to do? Or are there other factors? I am genuinely curious about this. Me, I'd rather have the novel or a collection of somewhat related short stories. Both literally and musically.

Last edited:
Top Bottom