• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

There is something very, very wrong with today’s music

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I am fairly certain that creative expression through music peaked with the advent of the "banjo orchestra." :D:oops:

View attachment 223091

A banjo player returns home after a gig one evening...​

Parking his car by his housing, he realizes he forgot to bring in with him his banjo from the backseat. He let's it go, thinking it'll probably be there in the morning still. Next morning he approaches his car, and notices that the rear window of his car has been smashed in! Uproared, he rushes to the car, and what does he find once he gets there? Two banjos in the backseat.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you don't get me, bud. This is the type of stuff I like
Maybe not that stuff but I like a lot of different music. That sounds like a train going by from six feet away but I jumped around and only gave it a minute or two. ;) Just saying, and you have every right to love it. My son likes rap, I don't, you dislike country, I can take it or leave it. Our overlap may be small. I went out on limb with a personal diverse list to show that today's music is not limited to just the most popular segments and I don't agree with OP. I think that everyone wants to defend their music. We are not that far apart in sentiment and maybe have some compatibility in music if you are multidimensional in your listening. I tried to show mine. Again, there is a lot of good music out there and you made good points about having to search for it.

JPA

Forum Donor
As a fan of always-unfashionable progressive rock starting in the 1980s, I learned early on that I had to look beyond what was playing on radio, TV, or college dorms to find it. A new golden age of that genre sprung up in the 90s, but most people never heard of those bands. I just treat most music that way now. Thankfully, good streaming curation and algorithms can really help me to find them.
I'm classic prog rock fan. Who are some of these newer bands you like?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Sure, anyone's musical taste is the most subjective thing, that's what I meant.

You have taste in acoustic, jazzy, non offensive music with defined rhythm and melody that is easy to listen to.

What you call hip hop and what I call hip hop is very different. And what you call World music might be my local music.

I for example cannot listen to anything western, country, banjo (or shall we call it World music?) . And I was just at hard techno party this weekend which I assume is the worst possible musical experience for you :)
Tomorrowland?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Christian & Conservative Rap is censored heavily in the USA at this point in time. Since it sounds like the oldschool rap of the 90s and early 2000s for the most part, but doesn't fit with the agenda's. I agree that it is definitely something for another thread.

Music censorship has existed throughout history and has created some of the greatest music in history as the struggling populaces of the world often used music as an outlet of their frustrations or injustice. Many of the great classical pieces were written during dark times, sometimes under persecution.
Are their records sequestered? Are their records made a crime to be imported? Are their cover art banned under penalty of law to be printed?

I am asking because that is precisely what happened to Dismember in the UK in the early 90's.

Let's not equate unpopular or unfitting to wider tastes with ilegal to buy or have.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm classic prog rock fan. Who are some of these newer bands you like?
I can't exactly put my finger on progressive rock and I guess Muse would not qualify...
I always 'shut-up and listen' when Muse is playing!:cool:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Are their records sequestered? Are their records made a crime to be imported? Are their cover art banned under penalty of law to be printed?

I am asking because that is precisely what happened to Dismember in the UK in the early 90's.

Let's not equate unpopular or unfitting to wider tastes with ilegal to buy or have.
Their accounts have been banned/blocked/shadow banned on Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok. Spotify, Apple Music & Amazon Music have banned various artists in those genres or banned specific songs (even ones that have hit #1). They have been demonetized on Youtube mostly (for the ones that remain) and they are not allowed to purchase advertising through any platforms.

Meanwhile they are not "unpopular" or "unfitting to wider tastes" as some of these artists have literally taken Billboard #1 spot more than one time. They are constantly in the top 10 on iTunes and Amazon (hitting #1 multiple times) with both records and song sales. So I would say they actually have some of the most popular music right now in the USA but the metrics are being hidden and the popularity suppressed.
For those who still exist on Youtube; notifications typically don't go out, the constantly have subscribers removed, view counts dropped, videos removed from queues, trending lists / recommendations on YT (despite popularity), etc.

They haven't made any of the music itself illegal yet as it would be complicated with the current legal system. However I'm sure the establishment is trying to figure out how to do such a thing considering the growing popularity by the day. You just haven't heard about them likely if you are in the USA because no mainstream media platform will speak of any of these artists. They will instead mention how some new garbage lady gaga track reached #9 and not talk about how #8-1 are all from this other genre they are trying to shun.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Is anyone's most subjective thing, yours too. I think my taste in music is quite diverse and much of whats out there and popular sounds similar. Should have said over synthesized instead of synthesizers.

Here are some of my favorite songs to demo equipment chosen because most of the rest of the albums they come from is quite good also.

Big Band - Work Song - Ray Brown With The All-Star Big Band
Small Group Acoustic Jazz - Counceltation - You Get More Bounce with Curtis Counce
Soundtrack - Corn Field Chase - Interstellar (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Acoustic Guitar - Camaro Canyon - Imaginational Anthem, Vol. 9: Ryley Walker Presents
World/Dance - Deelahli - Yeahman - Otriconi
Funk/Dance - Afternoon Soul - Gramatic - Coffee Shop Selection
Soul - Brother or Other - James Hunter Six - Nick of time
Trip-Hop - Earth Vibes - MAFFYN - Planet
World - What Ever Lola Wants - Gotan Project - Tango Club
Blazing Rock -Soul Searching - The New Fools - Star Cave
Choral - Rivers of Light - Portland State Choir - Ēriks Ešenvalds: The Doors of Heaven
Vocal/Jazz - Lover Man - Sarah Vaughn - Swinging Easy
World/ Dance - Almada - Nortec Collective - Tijuana Sessions Vol. 3
Hip-Hop - Give Back what U stole from Me - Oscar Jarome - Breath Deep
Jazz/ Fantasy - Whatchamacallit - Esquivel - Space Aged Bachelor Party
World - Riba Bass Di Mi - Bandé-Gamboa - Horizonte - Revamping Rare Gems from Cabo Verde and Guinea-Bissau
Dance/Trance/Percussion - Fratzengulasch -Die Vogel - Fratzengulasch
Funk - House of Lett - Lettuce - Resonate
Country/bluegrass – Rose of the Summer – Robbie Fulks – Gone Away Backward
Jazz/Swing - Killer Joe – Quincy Jones – walking in space
Folk/Vocal – Over and Even – Joan Shelly – Over and Even
World/Jazz/Pop – Eclipse – Kyoto Jazz Massive – Spirit of the Sun

OLD SCHOOL below (Audio may not be as good but music is IMO)

Acapella – Ghain Gang – The Persuasions – We Came to Play
Rock– 2120 So. Michigan Avenue – Rolling Stones (band’s only instrumental) – Five by Five
Protest – Trouble Every Day – Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention – Freak Out
Psycodelic Rock – She has Funny Cars – Jefferson Airplane – Surrealistic Pillow
Blues/ Humor– Say Man - Bo Diddley – His Best Chess 50th
Electric Blues – Got a Mind to Give Up Living – Paul Butterfield Blues Band – East West
Blues – Merry Christmas Baby – Charles Brown – Driftin Blues, best of
Country – Walking After Midnight – Patsy Cline – Patsy Cline (United Audio)
Soul/Disco – Be Thankful for What You Got – William DeVaughn - Be Thankful for What You Got
DooWop – I Only Have Eyes For You – The Flamingos – Flamingo Serenade

Nice list. Thanks for sharing it.

The fun part is, I haven't heard most of them. That's the blessing and curse of music now, there is much to listen to, and not enough lifetime to hear it all. I obviously don't agree with those who have simply put their music curiosity on repeat. But who knows how I'll feel in three more decades.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Their accounts have been banned/blocked/shadow banned on Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok. Spotify, Apple Music & Amazon Music have banned various artists in those genres or banned specific songs (even ones that have hit #1). They have been demonetized on Youtube mostly (for the ones that remain) and they are not allowed to purchase advertising through any platforms.

Meanwhile they are not "unpopular" or "unfitting to wider tastes" as some of these artists have literally taken Billboard #1 spot more than one time. They are constantly in the top 10 on iTunes and Amazon (hitting #1 multiple times) with both records and song sales. So I would say they actually have some of the most popular music right now in the USA but the metrics are being hidden and the popularity suppressed.
For those who still exist on Youtube; notifications typically don't go out, the constantly have subscribers removed, view counts dropped, videos removed from queues, trending lists / recommendations on YT (despite popularity), etc.

They haven't made any of the music itself illegal yet as it would be complicated with the current legal system. However I'm sure the establishment is trying to figure out how to do such a thing considering the growing popularity by the day.

I don't know if any of this is true, but I'd love to hear (and/or hear about) an example or three of a #1 (or popular by another metric) song/group that's suffered this fate. Briefly I guess, not to derail the thread.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Nice list. Thanks for sharing it.

The fun part is, I haven't heard most of them. That's the blessing and curse of music now, there is much to listen to, and not enough lifetime to hear it all. I obviously don't agree with those who have simply put their music curiosity on repeat. But who knows how I'll feel in three more decades.
Yep, I'm always listening to new stuff. I love the weekly podcasts and monthly trending track lists in the electronic music genre's and I listen to tons of that. Always new stuff to listen to. I also follow similar playlists for jazz and classical and listen to new releases by various artists in different settings. Then I look for other conglomerate playlists or albums.
Today I just started playing this; https://tidal.com/browse/album/136320322
I will blow through this whole thing likely by the time I am finished coding for the night, unless I switch genre's.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I don't know if any of this is true, but I'd love to hear (and/or hear about) an example or three of a #1 (or popular by another metric) song/group that's suffered this fate. Briefly I guess, not to derail the thread.
Bryson Gray, Tyson James, Forgiato Blow, Topher, The Marine Rapper, Burden.
Each one of them has been in billboard top 10 (except maybe Marine rapper) in the last year. Topher took a #1 w/ "The Patriot" and Bryson Gray has had an entire albums worth of top chart songs on Amazon music, Apple Music (both in albums & songs), and billboard albums sold.
They have been in Rap, Christian, Gospel categories AFAIK.

Vacceo

Major Contributor

They haven't made any of the music itself illegal yet as it would be complicated with the current legal system. However I'm sure the establishment is trying to figure out how to do such a thing considering the growing popularity by the day. You just haven't heard about them likely if you are in the USA because no mainstream media platform will speak of any of these artists. They will instead mention how some new garbage lady gaga track reached #9 and not talk about how #8-1 are all from this other genre they are trying to shun.
None of those actions have been taken by a government with the full judicial system on its back.

Does it suck? Yeah, is it unfair? Quite probably. Is it comparable to being executed in Iran for having a The Clash (the bearded dudes still itch for Rock the Qasbah) record? Not even remotely. On a not so bad level, it does not compare to the German judiciary forbidding Cannibal Corpse to sell Eaten Back to Life in Germany for a number of years.

I have not heard about them because I'm not interested in hip hop nor in christian music.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Meanwhile, here's a track list from a fresh DJ mix:

supire - griffith
malibu - te deseo 2016
jahcoozi - black barbie (modeselektor remix)
fka twigs - oh my love
the veronicas - untouched (emoticon 200remix)
starx - get away
shitmat - uk swampcore sucks…
dj myosuke - prevail
matabi sound system - heartless angel
dr peacock - enough for the future (hyrule war remix)
junglist vampire, x.nte - blood + blood
lil uzi vert - live footage/love is fake
que - og bobby johnson (v1984 terminator stalks dark days remix)
aaron spectre - look out fi liar
asian dub foundation - witness (dj scud remix)
dj kurara - reizokotator
nicki minaj - coco chanel (dj fouz edit)
mekuso & y=0t - nothing on four days
dj whey - desalento
dj demasiado - cuando
skantia - esoteric
dizelkraft & russian village boys - drop your clothes
turinn - spawn
clickbait - s3rl ft. gl!tch
goreshit - lonely
wshngtn - devil’s flesh
cocorosie - werewolf
coone & zatox - i like to move it (emoticon 170 edit)
cocorosie - werewolf (acapella cover)
casper mcfadden - nike_swoosh
yeat - rich minion

You can listen at SF.Mix.28 (mixed by Swan Meat). Some new tracks, some classics. Nice intro, warms up about 3 minutes in (she's less tame than DJ Rush).

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Bryson Gray, Tyson James, Forgiato Blow, Topher, The Marine Rapper, Burden.
Each one of them has been in billboard top 10 (except maybe Marine rapper) in the last year. Topher took a #1 w/ "The Patriot" and Bryson Gray has had an entire albums worth of top chart songs on Amazon music, Apple Music (both in albums & songs), and billboard albums sold.
They have been in Rap, Christian, Gospel categories AFAIK.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Fyi I enjoy Being As An Ocean quite a bit, as far as Christian/gnostic bands go (they are post-hardcore).

Edit: Forgiato Blow is on Apple Music. Lots of red caps and pictures of PoTUS 45. Tyson is there too, and Bryson, and Burton, and ...
Edit2: while I appreciate the reply, I'm not going to actually listen on AM and have MAGA music mess with my feed :facepalm:
Edit3: if you want to withdraw your like for this post, I totally understand

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Fyi I enjoy Being As An Ocean quite a bit, as far as Christian/gnostic bands go (they are post-hardcore).
I've heard a few of their things and liked them. I found the aforementioned artists when I was searching for some cleaner rap to play in the car now that I have kids. Many of the Christian rappers today also kind of suck, but these ones I mentioned (there are more, I just gave you a sample of the charting ones) have a sound that is similar to 90s-2000s rap from when I was growing up. So I like the sound / style in general as most mainstream rap of today is mumble music and obviously also explicit which doesn't work with the little ones!
I don't typically listen to rap (or any music with lyrics) while working as it tends to distract me.
Classical and jazz sound pretty bad in most cars especially once you are spoiled by nice headphones and audio stacks lol...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
None of those actions have been taken by a government with the full judicial system on its back.

Does it suck? Yeah, is it unfair? Quite probably. Is it comparable to being executed in Iran for having a The Clash (the bearded dudes still itch for Rock the Qasbah) record? Not even remotely. On a not so bad level, it does not compare to the German judiciary forbidding Cannibal Corpse to sell Eaten Back to Life in Germany for a number of years.

I have not heard about them because I'm not interested in hip hop nor in christian music.
You are right. I didn't say it was the same thing. I said it was censorship, especially political or faith based.
A few of these artists did get raided by the FBI though over playing music at conservative political rallies and the such. And one had DCF go after him over the same thing, trying to bring up bogus charges of endangering children or something.
Still not the same as being executed; but most governments today are paper tigers.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You are right. I didn't say it was the same thing. I said it was censorship, especially political or faith based.
A few of these artists did get raided by the FBI though over playing music at conservative political rallies and the such. And one had DCF go after him over the same thing, trying to bring up bogus charges of endangering children or something.
Still not the same as being executed; but most governments today are paper tigers.
Russia does not seem to joke a lot when they incarcerate artists. Poland has completely banned some musicians from even entering the country. It does get nasty in many places still.

The fact that there are very hash measures do not justify that the US media silences bands. Still, the last time I checked for some Hatecore, it was still quite easy to get music from actually very nasty people, so the methods are, indeed, quite poor many often times. Luckily, I might add.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Russia does not seem to joke a lot when they incarcerate artists. Poland has completely banned some musicians from even entering the country. It does get nasty in many places still.

The fact that there are very hash measures do not justify that the US media silences bands. Still, the last time I checked for some Hatecore, it was still quite easy to get music from actually very nasty people, so the methods are, indeed, quite poor many often times. Luckily, I might add.
Note that I said "most governments" :) Not all, maybe luckily or unluckily.... dunno on that one really. Definitely a topic for another thread!

I agree though that there is some truly bad stuff out there regardless of censorship. The more you know how to use technology the easier it is to access as well.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note that I said "most governments" :) Not all, maybe luckily or unluckily.... dunno on that one really. Definitely a topic for another thread!

I agree though that there is some truly bad stuff out there regardless of censorship. The more you know how to use technology the easier it is to access as well.
So I only looked at one

Ok. I looked up the first four names on your list, and you know what? They are ALL on Apple Music. The second largest music service. I didn't check Spotify, because I don't have an account and hate them. But you know what? I think your full of shit and pushing an unfounded political agenda. Why Because when I put those names into DDK, I came up with feature in such conservative papers as the Washington Post. So no. These people are not in anyway being suppressed. They are not being censored. At the very most, they are being called out for being the insurrectionist, fascist, nazi adulated pieces of crap that they are in one or two articles. But that is too much for the offing snowflakes of the fascist right to deal with, so they lie, lie ,lie.

Why this effing right wing political propaganda continues to get the OK while a single thread about LGBTQ musical artist has to be shut down makes me rethink my contribution.
Edit to add: What Jimster is doing is called Gish Galloping (a well known phenomena in debating). Post as many lies as you can in the space you have allotted, because it always takes longer to defeat the lie than to state it. The fact that I had to spend time looking up his bullshit claims is an indictment. If you claim something, support it! don't make others deny it. Isn't that the very definition of science?

Last edited:
Top Bottom