• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

There are a lot of streaming services?

stalepie2

Major Contributor
Sometimes I see a new show or movie advertised and it's only on Apple TV+ or Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. Are you supposed to subscribe to all of these services to keep up with the latest movies? I don't understand. I have no interest in subscribing to any of them. I would rather just pay $4 for the occasional movie rental through youtube.

Personally, I love the variety. For decades we had cable T.V and were gouged front and back! We now have cut the cord and are saving more than half of what we were paying.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you have an internet connection, all you pretty much need is Prime video, then ustvgo.tv . Once you learn how to navigate them both, you can pretty much watch almost anything for FREE. Then of course you have Youtube, so your covered.
So all you are paying for is your internet and Prime video.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The category is relatively new .. Give it some time... Only a few will remain/survive. My bet is on:
1) Netflix ( hate when they cancel a show and don’t give a rat a^^ about people’s reactions... but they are #1 and poised to remain there for a while ...
2) Amazon Prime Video ... Run as a sideshow by Amazon but they have the backup of one of the world largest company so.. They'll be there ... for a while too..
3) Hulu ..'Cause they were just in the beginning, along with Netflix(almost?)t and hung there. They're getting pretty good...
4) HBO Max .. They get the HBO DNA but ...

From there , a crapshoot .. a free for all. Time will tell

Last edited:
OP
S

stalepie2

Major Contributor
I just want like one streaming service to rule them all.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just want like one streaming service to rule them all.

Just wait until Disney buys up every other American video entertainment company, their streaming service costs as much as cable used to, and keeps half their catalog "cycled out" and not streamable at any given time.

Do I end this with a :( or a ;)?

OP
S

stalepie2

Major Contributor
I can't believe they took off Dumbo? Is this true??

Semla

I can't believe they took off Dumbo? Is this true??
No, they just restricted it to parents' profiles.

Disney took even more drastic action years ago with "Song of the South" - I watched a copy in a film museum during a course on banned/controversial cartoons, good luck finding an official copy on home video or DVD.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for reminding me that it's time to juggle my streaming services and maybe give Amazon Prime, CuriosityStream and Netflix a rest. My viewing time with those services has been in decline for awhile, partly due to change in the seasons (currently summer in the northern hemisphere).

Apple just started charging me for their TV+ service, and I'll keep that for the time being.

For shows like Twilight Zone, Discovery of Witches and American Gods, I can just borrow DVDs from the library.

Have been meaning to sample Mubi: Their premise is a small, constantly changing selection of "curated" movies.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Piracy will come back. Nobody will pay for all those streaming services.

Also. I don't know how many people this really affects, but I feel international distribution rights are part of the problem. Want to watch the new Game of Thrones Episode when it airs? Guess what, if you're not in the US, you can't.

I tried to buy The Walking Dead season 01 when it came out, even installed iTunes for that, and then Apple told me they don't want my money. Okay then...

OP
S

stalepie2

Major Contributor
Yeah, Mubi is good. I used it for a short while, and there's a Criterion Collection streaming site too.

OP
S

stalepie2

Major Contributor
Piracy will come back. Nobody will pay for all those streaming services.

Also. I don't know how many people this really affects, but I feel international distribution rights are part of the problem. Want to watch the new Game of Thrones Episode when it airs? Guess what, if you're not in the US, you can't.

I tried to buy The Walking Dead season 01 when it came out, even installed iTunes for that, and then Apple told me they don't want my money. Okay then...
One time I wanted to buy music from a Japanese game but it was only on Amazon MP3 in Japan so I used a VPN to give them money for it.

Top Bottom