• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Theatrical sound coloration: make sure your 500 are as loud as in these SMPTE measurements…

TheZebraKilledDarwin

Hi everybody. This is my first post here. Hopefully I can give this very well informed community something back...

Personal tastes vary a lot. I personally always loved the "theatrical" sound color.

After years of acoustics, speaker and dsp optimizations, a good transient and nice time domain behaviour, and a great sounding setup, I was still not having that "theatrical sound coloration", despite all kinds of known and unknown tweaks.
I assumed that this coloration and sound characteristics was simply not possible to achieve in my smaller room, with my speakers and without real theatrical horn speakers.

One day I stumbled over an SMPTE paper, called
TC-25CSS B-Chain Frequency and Temporal Response Analysis of Theatres and Dubbing Stages

Taking a close look at the measurements I noticed not very flat frequency responses (even very good dubbing stages). So a flat response obviously may not be a crucial criteria for the the theatrical sound I was after.

I kept looking at the measurements and began to notice a pattern.
As you can see, a lot of them show the 500 Hz region being louder/the loudest.

By looking at the measurements only, this would not be a speaker/setup, I would want! But being humble means, that if the shown sound is good enough for dubbing stages, maybe I should not discard it, too? Forget theories, interpretations and ideals, just follow the practitioners mixing movies in their dubbing stages. Maybe there is more to it, than meets the eye?

I compared the measurements to my REW measurements and noticed a very significant difference:
My 1k range was louder than the 500 range and my bass was also louder. My setup lacked a kind of 500 Hz midrange peak, many of these systems seem to have.

Only out of curiosity and expecting to degrade the sound of my setup, I tweaked the DSP and brought the 1k slightly below the 500 Hz level… (IIRC it was a significant cut of around -4dB at first try)

But with only the very first word coming out of the center, I already had a smile on the face…
That was the key. I optimized it further to maximize the color, guided by the real world measurements in that paper.

The characteristics of the mids, and with them the color of the whole setup and it's perceived quality, changed torwards "theatrical". As if the speakers and the room had been exchanged against theatrical equipment. The already very good sounding setup was turned into a theatrical sounding setup.

Besides the almost surreal improvement in sound coloration, I noticed a few additional improvements. I remember:
Vocals received more body and warmth(!), but without any additional muddyness.
Transients and plosives also sound warmer, are less hard (especially pleasing in loud scenes), while low volume transients are becoming less masked by 300 Hz mud.
The overall sound is fuller, despite reduced bass, and sounds warmer, despite the gentle midrange "peak" below 1k.
Intelligibility at very low master volume levels is improved, despite reduced treble peaks (mimicking the measurements but adjusting to my personal taste - a less strong x-curved treble).
Strangely dynamics also feel more energetic and powerful, despite these counter-intuitive changes with reduced bass and treble.
Midrange has way more punch, but without the tendency to hurt the ear at higher levels.
Directivity, ambience and spaciousness improved, too. With a RT60 of around ~250 ms in my room, now I can hear ambiences and reverbs in mixes, which I could not hear before.

If you want to give this a try and work torwards a theatrical sound coloration, I recommend to pay attention to the mentioned "theatrical" midrange balance first: the 500 Hz range loud enough, with the 1k not louder than the 500. If you hear success, then work from the mids away: adjust sub and bass levels, in a way the mids begin to shine even more - use the SMPTE measurements as guidance.
And for the treble (as low as from 1.5 kHz work upwards), also guided by the SMPTE measurements and adjusted for your personal taste.

Last edited:
OP
T

TheZebraKilledDarwin

Am I the only one preferring a more theatrical sound coloration? Nobody who finds this useful?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The various theater sound targets have been controversial for some time. There is a thread here:

Having said that, if you like the sound of what you did, that's kind of inarguable.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Am I the only one preferring a more theatrical sound coloration? Nobody who finds this useful?
I don't like the sound quality in most movie theaters. It's too loud, the midrange is usually muddy, the bass is deep but soft & boomy, and the highest frequencies are attenuated. I wear my custom mold musician's earplugs at movies, which helps. When we go to theaters, my wife is always asking, "What did they say"? When we watch movies at home she doesn't have that problem. A movie theater is the very LAST thing I would want my home system to sound like.

PS: OK maybe not the very LAST thing. A high school band playing in an untreated gymnasium would be even worse.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like the sound quality in most movie theaters. It's too loud, the midrange is usually muddy, the bass is deep but soft & boomy, and the highest frequencies are attenuated. I wear my custom mold musician's earplugs at movies, which helps. When we go to theaters, my wife is always asking, "What did they say"? When we watch movies at home she doesn't have that problem. A movie theater is the very LAST thing I would want my home system to sound like.

PS: OK maybe not the very LAST thing. A high school band playing in an untreated gymnasium would be even worse.
I tend to agree. Some few theaters aren't bad, but most are kind of a mess. I'm cynical how much attention to careful EQ most get.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Even if theaters get the EQ right (which is rare), the muddiness in bass and mids suggests they have serious CSD problems.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if theaters get the EQ right (which is rare), the muddiness in bass and mids suggests they have serious CSD problems.
I suspect 99% of the movie goers have no idea what good audio sounds like, though. If they feel the explosions and are deafened by the general on-screen mayhem they're happy.

OP
T

TheZebraKilledDarwin

The various theater sound targets have been controversial for some time. There is a thread here:

Having said that, if you like the sound of what you did, that's kind of inarguable.

The reference sound I am talking about, ofcourse is not from bad sounding theatres, but from good sounding ones.
I guess I know all the arguments against the x-curve, too.

Now, if the x-curve was that bad and flat frequency responses were that great: there seem to be lots of people with setups with decent acoustics and flat frequency responses with intelligibility problems...

I also did not only say "I like it", which would be inarguable. But I gave a detailed description of the benefits of a relatively louder 500 Hz range, in contrast to louder 1k.

Instead of trying to immediately dismiss my tip with an argument that there are bad sounding theatres, I would have appreciated a discussion of open minded people who try things out first, before they judge...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

This has been hardly my experience in IMAX theatres.

OP
T

TheZebraKilledDarwin

I suspect 99% of the movie goers have no idea what good audio sounds like, though. If they feel the explosions and are deafened by the general on-screen mayhem they're happy.

And how many home theatre setups sound horrible and the owners believe, they sound as good as even better than theaters, because they see a flat frequency response in REW?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And how much home theatre setups sound horrible and the owners believe, they sound as good as theaters, because they see a flat frequency response in REW?
Hopefully they see the classic downward sloping trend, which is in reality the sort of thing theaters should shoot for. Toole covers all this, BTW. Not that it was a big revelation.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
See Amir's Estimated In-Room Response of this speaker for a good example worth emulating:

OP
T

TheZebraKilledDarwin

See Amir's Estimated In-Room Response of this speaker for a good example worth emulating:

Over years I have tried a lot of house curves.

My experience with flat curves is this: if they are tilted only a bit too much, intelligibility becomes much worse (there are a lot of movies with muffled dialogue, which suddenly need subtitles). But if the curve is not tilted enough, the treble, especially in the 4k range, can painfully poke the ears at higher levels.

I think the "margin of error" becomes smaller with flat responses (helpful for mixing and judgement, less helpful for consuming lots of differently sounding sources). When watching movies, it's helpful to have a setup with a wide "margin of error": I want to understand movies with muffled dialogue, but also bright movies without my ears falling off. There is so much criticism of the x-curve, but (besides the IMO beautiful theatrical coloration it helps to achieve), the positive technical aspects should not be ignored: very good intelligibility without harshness.

Frontino

If you want to give this a try and work torwards a theatrical sound coloration, I recommend to pay attention to the mentioned "theatrical" midrange balance first: the 500 Hz range loud enough, with the 1k not louder than the 500. If you hear success, then work from the mids away: adjust sub and bass levels, in a way the mids begin to shine even more - use the SMPTE measurements as guidance.
And for the treble (as low as from 1.5 kHz work upwards), also guided by the SMPTE measurements and adjusted for your personal taste.
What target should I use?
Like the X Curve's -3dB/octave but starting from 500 Hz?
And where should I start cutting bass?
Thanks.

Top Bottom