• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The worst thing about being an audiophile

starfly

Forum Donor
The worst thing about being an audiophile is... having your right ear completely clogged up so you can't hear much through it, paired with ringing in your right ear. Can't enjoy music at all now :( Going for 9 days now, ugh. Going to an ENT tomorrow, hoping they can help resolve this. Did have a cold last week, which is I think what caused this, but the cold has already completely cleared up several days ago.

itz_all_about_the_music

The worst thing about being an audiophile is... having your right ear completely clogged up so you can't hear much through it, paired with ringing in your right ear. Can't enjoy music at all now :( Going for 9 days now, ugh. Going to an ENT tomorrow, hoping they can help resolve this. Did have a cold last week, which is I think what caused this, but the cold has already completely cleared up several days ago.
What's being an audiophile have to do with a hearing ailment? Sorry, I don't get it. Good luck with the ENT.

jae

Major Contributor
Is the ringing/tinnitus a new symptom? Seemingly innocuous viral infections and other problems can cause sudden and/or permanent sensorineural hearing loss. Oftentimes people don't realise this and don't get treated promptly because they assume the poor hearing is due to congestion from a routine illness (and the treatment window can be quite short for SSNHL). It's good that you have an appointment tomorrow, but err on the side of caution and don't delay further. I don't know where you live but depending on what country, ideally you go into the ENT's office with an audiogram in hand from an audiologist, since they will absolutely need or request one for a diagosis and many cannot/do not do basic audiometric tests and will just refer you to an audiologist in the first place, and then schedule you for another appointment which may take end up taking many more days or even weeks- where the effectiveness of most treatments for SSNHL begin to plummet.

Stay hydrated, avoid strenuous physical activity, discontinue caffeine, any stimulant nasal decongestants, or antibiotics you might have been taking for your illness. Still follow up with treatment even if your hearing suddenly seems like it gets better, because that is also a common sensation in sensorineural hearing loss.

OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor
Is the ringing/tinnitus a new symptom? Seemingly innocuous viral infections and other problems can cause sudden and/or permanent sensorineural hearing loss. Oftentimes people don't realise this and don't get treated promptly because they assume the poor hearing is due to congestion from a routine illness (and the treatment window can be quite short for SSNHL). It's good that you have an appointment tomorrow, but err on the side of caution and don't delay further. I don't know where you live but depending on what country, ideally you go into the ENT's office with an audiogram in hand from an audiologist, since they will absolutely need or request one for a diagosis and many cannot/do not do basic audiometric tests and will just refer you to an audiologist in the first place, and then schedule you for another appointment which may take end up taking many more days or even weeks- where the effectiveness of most treatments for SSNHL begin to plummet.

Stay hydrated, avoid strenuous physical activity, discontinue caffeine, any stimulant nasal decongestants, or antibiotics you might have been taking for your illness. Still follow up with treatment even if your hearing suddenly seems like it gets better, because that is also a common sensation in sensorineural hearing loss.

Thanks, I'll make sure to mention this to the ENT. I do suspect it's fluid build-up inside my ears and it's not able to drain out at this point, as while chewing/swallowing I hear a lot of popping sounds inside my right ear.

My tinnitus is not a new symptom by the way, I've had mild tinnitus for the past several years already. It is more intense sounding in my right ear now, though, ever since I got sick.

Otherwise don't think there's enough time to go to an audiologist beforehand, as my appoint is tomorrow morning.

Katji

Major Contributor
Good luck. Rest and sleep etc.
Thank goodness, I haven't had a cold or anything since end of 2016 when i almost died from pneumonia/
...And I stopped stressing about going to the supermarket. Today I noticed even the cashiers not wearing masks. I was thinking of how I'd slacked off, I used to come home and start sanitising and so on.

OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor
Good luck. Rest and sleep etc.
Thank goodness, I haven't had a cold or anything since end of 2016 when i almost died from pneumonia/
...And I stopped stressing about going to the supermarket. Today I noticed even the cashiers not wearing masks. I was thinking of how I'd slacked off, I used to come home and start sanitising and so on.
Try having a 3yr old in daycare :) they bring home everything, there's no escape.

itz_all_about_the_music

Having a passion or a hobby that is reliant upon your physical ability means that if that physical ability is no longer there, you can not enjoy said hobby or passion.
So "being an audiophile" isn't the cause of a devastating effect, e.g., lifting very heavy subwoofers causing permanent back injuries, or listening at excessive SPLs over excessive time causing permanent hearing loss (which of course happens).

I got it.

raif71

Major Contributor
1656626852410.png

OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor

So the ENT didn't at all seem concerned, said it was pretty minor. Did prescribe me steroid based eardrops to reduce swelling on/around eardrum, as well as oral corticosteroids to reduce help reduce swelling eustachian tube. Hopefully it helps, should know in a few days if there is any improvement.

Andysu

Major Contributor
worst i don't like about audiophiles is those rubbish hi-fi- shows with rubbish tower speakers rubbish home theatre demo rooms with rubbish mismatched L c R and seating all one level not even stepped up or the speakers raised off the floor and angled tilted down so the sound beams over the seating to be actually heard or listened by the few in the room that are listeners . i personally wouldn't go near a rubbish hi-fi show with a barge pole . i see any home theatre with mismatched L c R in front of tv's or projection screens i walk away . in fact if i even see hi-fi speaker i walk away . rubbish speakers that only produce sound . where PA speakers reproduce the sound .

this is the sort of demo room i wouldn't even step into , i see people getting up and walking out . guess they had enough of the bs talk , demo guys standing in front of those tiny speakers laying on the floor that dinky centre channel and none of those speakers matched or raised above that soon to be burned in oled , with tom cruise's burn in while smile teeth .

raif71

Major Contributor
weird . friend has to chop cut a ent tree down due to france weird 20 min weather storm of 200 miles and ice falling from the skies size of an apple . sad the ent tree has to be cut down as the tree was pushed out the ground by so far leaning over by 15 degrees . and during video talk m ent tree was mentioned , yesterday . ent . weird what are the odds of ent being mentioned elsewhere and ent mentioned here ? ent .
it's called coentcident :facepalm:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
worst i don't like about audiophiles is those rubbish hi-fi- shows with rubbish tower speakers rubbish home theatre demo rooms with rubbish mismatched L c R and seating all one level not even stepped up or the speakers raised off the floor and angled tilted down so the sound beams over the seating to be actually heard or listened by the few in the room that are listeners . i personally wouldn't go near a rubbish hi-fi show with a barge pole . i see any home theatre with mismatched L c R in front of tv's or projection screens i walk away . in fact if i even see hi-fi speaker i walk away . rubbish speakers that only produce sound . where PA speakers reproduce the sound .

this is the sort of demo room i wouldn't even step into , i see people getting up and walking out . guess they had enough of the bs talk , demo guys standing in front of those tiny speakers laying on the floor that dinky centre channel and none of those speakers matched or raised above that soon to be burned in oled , with tom cruise's burn in while smile teeth .
Oh Dear! Try to relax and enjoy the music.

Indy

Yeah I kind of missed the point on the post you quoted. Back to the original thread. I listen to music all the time so having any kind of major hearing loss would be very depressing.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No the worst thing about being an audiophile is taking shit from everyone for the frivolous spending of your own money. These are the same people who have a cigarette continuously hanging from their lips at $7 a pack (of which they smoke two packs daily), or driving one of those $30,000 donorcycles, or paying thousands for golf clubs and greens fees, or having $1000 a month bar bills.

At least I have something to show for my spending that will neither leave me with lung cancer nor make me an organ donor.

OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor
No the worst thing about being an audiophile is taking shit from everyone for the frivolous spending of your own money. These are the same people who have a cigarette continuously hanging from their lips at $7 a pack (of which they smoke two packs daily), or driving one of those $30,000 donorcycles, or paying thousands for golf clubs and greens fees, or having $1000 a month bar bills.

At least I have something to show for my spending that will neither leave me with lung cancer nor make me an organ donor.
It could leave you with tinnitus though ;)

kiwifi

The worst thing is when someone says that "it sounds okay"

Just "okay"? WTF!

BeeKay

Other audiophiles.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Other audiophiles.

Disagree. The best thing about being an audiophile is other audiophiles. Even if you don't care about their equipment selection or their philosophy, they still know about music that you don't. That is, unless they only listen to audiophile tracks.

Top Bottom