• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Walnut DAP EQ response measured - AKA "Jazz is Flat"

freddi

wondered why "Jazz" always had the clearest sound and also how basically useless the other curves are due to HF boost occuring a bit too low plus a "flat" setting which rolls off below 200Hz. There's no LF boost available so brightly voiced IEM sound very thin with the seal I typically get.

twmoT9u.png

OP
F

freddi

is not music - that's how much rolloff that EQ setting seems to have - it sounds like muffled AM radio. The measurements were made with
averaged pink noise. Line out on "Jazz" measures pretty much dead flat from 20Hz to ~18.8KHz on mp3 pink noise and `3dB on the low end
at 16Hz. "Jazz" should be good to run the Walnut line out into a decent portable headphone amp with some low frequency EQ ability.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Those EQ curves are completely goof ball.

If I'm understanding correct, those are default EQ choices in the Walnut DAP (which I'd never hard of)? Why would they make such weird choices?

One of these things?

OP
F

freddi

Mine (from which the curves were obtained) is the Walnut V2 which dispensed with the needless "screen" gimmick - If one loaded maybe 20 favorite concerts/albums the that could work quite well by sifting back and forth to recognizable beginnings. The volume pot is handy if there's somehing which happens to be much louder than a previous file.

There's a Zishan Z1 for those who don't like all that complexity (but assume cannot be operated blind as easily as one needs to rely upon an LED to show some function ststatus.

I think V3 may share a 10 band EQ featured in Zishan's V3 and T1. I'm ey ing the T1 with dual AK4493 DAC (~$77) as is said to have a capacitance
screen vs the cheaper AK4490 DAC model (~$56) resistive touch screen.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Mine (from which the curves were obtained) is the Walnut V2 which dispensed with the needless "screen" gimmick - If one loaded maybe 20 favorite concerts/albums the that could work quite well by sifting back and forth to recognizable beginnings. The volume pot is handy if there's somehing which happens to be much louder than a previous file.

There's a Zishan Z1 for those who don't like all that complexity (but assume cannot be operated blind as easily as one needs to rely upon an LED to show some function ststatus.

I think V3 may share a 10 band EQ featured in Zishan's V3 and T1. I'm ey ing the T1 with dual AK4493 DAC (~$77) as is said to have a capacitance
screen vs the cheaper AK4490 DAC model (~$56) resistive touch screen.

Why would you buy again from folks who can't make a flat EQ curve flat?

Top Bottom