• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The VSX-LX505 or TX-RZ50

DrStranger

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Make a poll, I would prefer Denon or Yamaha, in fact I've seen used A20*0 Yamaha AVRs going for around $600 I would probably take that, unless you really need 8K?

Magnus0322

The Pioneer Onkyo and Integra AVRs all share the same components. That said one big negative for the LX505 is that Pioneer does not allow individual crossover settings for the speakers. You're stuck with the same crossover for all your channels. Meanwhile Onkyo allows individual crossover for the Front LR / Center / Side surrounds / Rear surrounds / Ceilings.

Since the RZ50 and LX505 do not support DLBC (for now if ever) you cannot set the crossovers via Dirac. Functionally the two AVR should sound similar but I still prefer the added flexibility of the RZ50 and that's what I pre ordered.

spamilton

+1 for the Onkyo. I looked through both manuals, and the Onkyo appeared to have a bit more tweaking ability. I'm considering getting it, but may just wait for a processor.

Golfx

Forum Donor
+1 for the Onkyo. I looked through both manuals, and the Onkyo appeared to have a bit more tweaking ability. I'm considering getting it, but may just wait for a processor.[/QUOTE
If you read through the reviews on this website Denon is the highest rated for bench numbers and value for features.

spamilton

I'm guessing they want full 2.1 inputs and/or a cheap way to get Dirac in a receiver. Otherwise I'd suggest the Denon as well. Or wait until the 2022 Denons.

Magnus0322

Denon has crappy HDMI 2.1 support and doesn't have Dirac. Those are the reasons to get these AVR.

That said my options were X4700H for Auro3D or RZ50 for Dirac. Unfortunately I can't afford both. If money wasn't an issue I would look at the HTP-1.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Denon does not have DIRAC. It has Audyssey which received a good review on this website when used with the optional App. DIRAC is good too. Regarding their HDMI 2.1 support, they provided free an external device fix for earlier AVRs that contained the bad Panasonic chip. That seems like a pretty responsible thing to do.

OP
D

DrStranger

Thank you all for your inputs. I had my thoughts for the Denon 6700 at first, but the distributor and reseller here in my country is really are not so supportive when it comes to finding out info Denon have solve the HDMI issue and also if I can be guaranteed a non-problematic sample if I order it.

I really have hard time to choose which one. But reading from you all the Onkyo makes more sense. Do they still suffer from heat issues anyone know? Also do we believe the Denom 2022 come early or mid/late?

Thank you all for your inputs.

Magnus0322

Denon does not have DIRAC. It has Audyssey which received a good review on this website when used with the optional App. DIRAC is good too. Regarding their HDMI 2.1 support, they provided free an external device fix for earlier AVRs that contained the bad Panasonic chip. That seems like a pretty responsible thing to do.
Granted most people will only have 1 HDMI 2.1 device, if any at all, for the foreseeable future. Dirac is supposed to be much better than Audyssey. When I get my RZ50 I'll be able to compare my Audyssey MultiEQ XT AVR vs Dirac

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
I have not heard or read that Denon’s external adapter still does not correct the issue with Xbox gamers. Do you have a published source for that?

Geronimo.USMC

I see this as a no brainer. If you like the "ELITE" aesthetics, need an extra trigger, or an IR out, Get the PIONEER. Otherwise, ONKYO all the way.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
I see this as a no brainer. If you like the "ELITE" aesthetics, need an extra trigger, or an IR out, Get the PIONEER. Otherwise, ONKYO all the way.
Does anyone know if onkyo still skimps on there preouts voltage to an exterior amp? That's my only beef with them they're only rated to 1vrms on those preouts usually

Otherwise totally agree always loved onkyo

Magnus0322

I have not heard or read that Denon’s external adapter still does not correct the issue with Xbox gamers. Do you have a published source for that?

You know I follow a few Reddit subs and I remember reading some Xbox Series X users reporting the adapter still didn't fix the 4K/120Hz passthrough with all the advanced features turned on such as ALLM, VRR, HDR etc. but for the life of me I can't seem to find the posts anymore and have found the opposite instead. Looks like they finally got the HDMI 2.1 fixed but you're still only left with 1 port. I know not an issue for most as most people only have 1 device. I'm sure the 2022 Denon AVR will have to step up their game since Onkyo / Pioneer seem to be bringing Dirac w/ DLBC + Auro3D to market

wireburn

Does anyone know if onkyo still skimps on there preouts voltage to an exterior amp? That's my only beef with them they're only rated to 1vrms on those preouts usually

Otherwise totally agree always loved onkyo
I haven't measured the main channels, but the sub out on my old Integra 50.2 reached 11.2V RMS on my Fluke. I think the confusion stems from the spec sheet listing the tested voltage (usually 200mV) which is not the max voltage.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
I haven't measured the main channels, but the sub out on my old Integra 50.2 reached 11.2V RMS on my Fluke. I think the confusion stems from the spec sheet listing the tested voltage (usually 200mV) which is not the max voltage.
Do you know how one goes about measuring the preouts true voltage? What equipment would I need and how do I do it?

wireburn

Do you know how one goes about measuring the preouts true voltage? What equipment would I need and how do I do it?
Well, I'm no expert, but my method was to set the meter to VAC and probe the open end of an RCA cable.

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
The Pioneer Onkyo and Integra AVRs all share the same components. That said one big negative for the LX505 is that Pioneer does not allow individual crossover settings for the speakers. You're stuck with the same crossover for all your channels. Meanwhile Onkyo allows individual crossover for the Front LR / Center / Side surrounds / Rear surrounds / Ceilings.

Since the RZ50 and LX505 do not support DLBC (for now if ever) you cannot set the crossovers via Dirac. Functionally the two AVR should sound similar but I still prefer the added flexibility of the RZ50 and that's what I pre ordered.
That is incorrect, see page 134 of English manual (same text as the Onkyo one):
(Being non native English speaking, I misread this) https://www.pioneerhomeusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/SN29404025_VSX-LX505_En_210422_web.pdf
EFF0754A-F0CE-4FDB-8E67-C8E63C236A4C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: jam

Geronimo.USMC

Top Bottom