• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The VSX-LX505 or TX-RZ50

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Don't think so. Don't believe any Onkyo AVR's have that function. Edit-at least the 3 I've owned did not.

Some of that adjustability was part of Dolby's PLII - since they replaced it in 2014 with "Dolby Surround" - some of those features have disappeared... - and I guess as that change has trickled through generations of AVR's things have changed....

Lots of people swore by PLII for music - including or especially in a LCR setup (3 channel stereo) - results with "Dolby Surround" appear much more hit and miss with music. :(

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of that adjustability was part of Dolby's PLII - since they replaced it in 2014 with "Dolby Surround" - some of those features have disappeared... - and I guess as that change has trickled through generations of AVR's things have changed....

Lots of people swore by PLII for music - including or especially in a LCR setup (3 channel stereo) - results with "Dolby Surround" appear much more hit and miss with music. :(
Yes, I remember I preferred PL II over most other settings on my old AVR's before true DD existed.

Flak

Industry Insider

OP
D

DrStranger

Has anyone been able to get their hands on any of these two AVR’s , or know what the European version of the RZ50 will be called? Onkyos website is so poorly updated and a bit of a mess.

Would be really nice if anyone who got them where able to send it for testing.

By the time these two are able to hit the masses I assume next gen will be announced.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The RZ50 is being called the RZ50 in Australia.... and we usually get the same as Europe

Ata

Forum Donor
Has anyone been able to get their hands on any of these two AVR’s , or know what the European version of the RZ50 will be called? Onkyos website is so poorly updated and a bit of a mess.

Would be really nice if anyone who got them where able to send it for testing.

By the time these two are able to hit the masses I assume next gen will be announced.
I remember someone saying they are sending their RZ50 unit to @amirm for testing, this was maybe 3 months ago. I assume that did not happen.

If any of those full DIRAC capable units measures anything close to the current DENON units, they will be a hit on this forum.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember someone saying they are sending their RZ50 unit to @amirm for testing, this was maybe 3 months ago. I assume that did not happen.

If any of those full DIRAC capable units measures anything close to the current DENON units, they will be a hit on this forum.
I would have sent mine directly to Amir if I had known the other member hadn't sent his in. I received it a couple weeks ago and looks identical to my old RZ810 from the front and almost identical on the back but the Dirac Live makes a tremendous difference is SQ, but only with multichannel listening IMO. Huge improvement from Audyssey.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Many of us are hoping for a thorough ASR Amirm review of one or more of the members of the Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer current generation family! (especially the Dirac capable ones)

andrewskaterrr

I find it ridiculous that we have so many people here with the RZ50, yet Amir hasn't received one yet. I'm tempted to try and get one and send it to him.

RndmLstner

I find it ridiculous that we have so many people here with the RZ50, yet Amir hasn't received one yet. I'm tempted to try and get one and send it to him.
I also read a member's post that affirmatively stated that he sent an RZ50 to Amir a few weeks ago. As I'm sure Amir knows that a review is highly anticipated, I figured we'll be seeing it any day. That being said, I've started wondering if it was never sent in. I'll reach out to Amir directly. I have a unit sitting unopened for the last few weeks. It's replacing an Integra 80.2 pre pro with a crackling/popping rear right channel that I finally decided just had to be replaced (the crackling/popping became more frequent).

andrewskaterrr

I also read a member's post that affirmatively stated that he sent an RZ50 to Amir a few weeks ago. As I'm sure Amir knows that a review is highly anticipated, I figured we'll be seeing it any day. That being said, I've started wondering if it was never sent in. I'll reach out to Amir directly. I have a unit sitting unopened for the last few weeks. It's replacing an Integra 80.2 pre pro with a crackling/popping rear right channel that I finally decided just had to be replaced (the crackling/popping became more frequent).
Thanks for checking. It could be that he's still writing it up? He seems to get quite a lot of things to review now, but this is a hot item unlike a lot of the products he's reviewed lately.

RndmLstner

Thanks for checking. It could be that he's still writing it up? He seems to get quite a lot of things to review now, but this is a hot item unlike a lot of the products he's reviewed lately.
That's exactly my line of thought. In addition, I get the impression AVR's take longer to test/draft reviews so he may have been trying to get through lesser backlog before tackling the RZ50. I sent a PM to Amir.

Keened

Forum Donor
I'm mildly underwhelmed by my RZ-50 as a speaker system, but to be fair: I followed the AVS procedure first with leveling the speakers the same, had the test tones at borderline working volume (multiple re-measurements), and didn't play too much with the curves beyond grabbing a +6 Harmon.

It is much much clearer and my ears no longer hurt playing at music at reasonable volume for hours, but it also is lacking some of the 'thickness' and low-end that you get just using the non-eq settings. I think can be fixed to a degree by changing the target curve and/or the correction points, how much I'll have to see.

But the headphone out is :D

Maybe it's just the amount of sheer power it has on tap, but it made my DD IEMs smack. Even the crude tone controls I used on it only made things better and didn't make anything worse.

andrewskaterrr

I'm mildly underwhelmed by my RZ-50 as a speaker system, but to be fair: I followed the AVS procedure first with leveling the speakers the same, had the test tones at borderline working volume (multiple re-measurements), and didn't play too much with the curves beyond grabbing a +6 Harmon.

It is much much clearer and my ears no longer hurt playing at music at reasonable volume for hours, but it also is lacking some of the 'thickness' and low-end that you get just using the non-eq settings. I think can be fixed to a degree by changing the target curve and/or the correction points, how much I'll have to see.

But the headphone out is :D

Maybe it's just the amount of sheer power it has on tap, but it made my DD IEMs smack. Even the crude tone controls I used on it only made things better and didn't make anything worse.
I imagine when running uncorrected, the mains are hitting a room resonance/mode, so it gets boosted. My room has a 83hz room mode and so when a speaker plays that low, it gets boosted and there's more bass around 83hz.

Flak

Industry Insider
He didn't try different target curves with possibly even better results, especially for movies...

Last edited:

andrewskaterrr

He didn't try different target curves with possibly even better results, especially for movies...

He said in the video why, because he wanted the standard experience and similar flat response to other room correction software. Audyssey can also make custom curves

Timobi_1

Hey guys...first time poster :) I have been a Pioneer Elite owner since maybe mid 1990s...I want either one of these to be able to natively get Multichannel DSD from HDMI. The older Elite SC-57 & SC-99 convert to PCM. However my cheapie ;) VSX-LX503 receiver does show DSD on the front panel. All that to say the PDF sheet on the first page is confusing. One area says DSD playback via HDMI..then another line says with PCM conversion. My guess both of these units will be the same on that. I have a lot of 5.1 SACDs.

mahdlokg

So I FINALLY looked into the Onkyo getting Dirac news. I avoided it because Onkyo is lower end, but $1400 for Dirac and 7.1.4??? WOW! I've been looking at Processors like the AV40/JBL SDP-55 (-58 HDMI 2.1) but they're just so expensive. I really want Front Wides, but I may give that up and save $3100+. I'm sure the DACs aren't nearly as good, but IDK if it's worth the extra money. I've got a Marantz SR5010 that I got for $500 back in 2016? and am upgrading to a HDMI 2.1 device. Any thoughts on it?

Sorry but I didn't find it in the manual. Is the RZ50 able to turn off it's internal amps when using pre-outs?
I have an Outlaw 7000x for 7.x.x, but will prolly run the x.x.4 ceiling off the internal amps, or get another 7000x or 5000x.
Any issues with the Outlaw amp. thinking of getting the 7000X.

Top Bottom