• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The VSX-LX505 or TX-RZ50

Ekkoville

Does anyone know if onkyo still skimps on there preouts voltage to an exterior amp? That's my only beef with them they're only rated to 1vrms on those preouts usually

Otherwise totally agree always loved onkyo

I called Onkyo support on this issue. I was also concerned at the 1V spec and it’s ability to drive my Rotel amp which has a sensitivity of +-1.5V. Whoever I talked to at Onkyo went and talked with an engineer, came back and said I’d have no problem. He never gave a max voltage number, but he assured me it would be fine.

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
Magnus is correct. You are reading it wrong. Look there is only one "crossover" setting. Magnus is saying that the PIONEER unit has a universal RIGID crossover applied to speakers set to "SMALL"
Aha, thanks,
I did a deep dive and compared the two spec sheets and found Onkyo's says "Crossover adjustment for each channel (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/180/200 Hz)"
and has "LPF of LFE" where the 505 has "Crossover".

I found other differences that may or may not be only naming differences or marketing "scope variations" (haven't completed the deep dive yet so this is subject to updates):
20558089-8AA5-4302-8883-957168CCFB2C.jpeg

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"PIONEER unit has a universal RIGID crossover applied to speakers set to "SMALL""
That was the way that the precedent Pioneer AVR were behaving.
Let us wait for a review to see if it is still like that on the 505.
For me it is a no go.

Ata

Forum Donor
Granted most people will only have 1 HDMI 2.1 device, if any at all, for the foreseeable future. Dirac is supposed to be much better than Audyssey. When I get my RZ50 I'll be able to compare my Audyssey MultiEQ XT AVR vs Dirac

I am planning to compare Audyssey MultEQ XT (not XT32) in my x2500h to Dirac Live on a Mac. Maybe a week or two away.

EB1000

"PIONEER unit has a universal RIGID crossover applied to speakers set to "SMALL""
That was the way that the precedent Pioneer AVR were behaving.
Let us wait for a review to see if it is still like that on the 505.
For me it is a no go.

Also, you can't watch one video source while listening to another audio source on Pioneer like you do with Denon/Yamaha (Not sure about Onkyo)

danzilla31

Forum Donor
I called Onkyo support on this issue. I was also concerned at the 1V spec and it’s ability to drive my Rotel amp which has a sensitivity of +-1.5V. Whoever I talked to at Onkyo went and talked with an engineer, came back and said I’d have no problem. He never gave a max voltage number, but he assured me it would be fine.
Okay thanks!

Geronimo.USMC

Also, you can't watch one video source while listening to another audio source on Pioneer like you do with Denon/Yamaha (Not sure about Onkyo)
On the RZ50 at least, you CAN do that.

Screenshot 2021-09-16 154539.jpg

EB1000

On the RZ50 at least, you CAN do that.

View attachment 153741

It appears that it's limited to some sources like CD or BT and it requires pressing two buttons. On Denon you can simply assign any video signal to any audio source including HEOS. with Pioneer this is not possible at all. I really don't see any reason for Pioneer to continue to exists anymore...

Geronimo.USMC

It appears that it's limited to some sources like CD or BT and it requires pressing two buttons. On Denon you can simply assign any video signal to any audio source including HEOS. with Pioneer this is not possible at all. I really don't see any reason for Pioneer to continue to exists anymore...

PAGE 113 adds:

"Setting the video source to be displayed on TV beforehand: When playing the audio of "TUNER", "NET" and "BLUETOOTH", you can set the input selector to be displayed on TV beforehand using "Video Select" ( →p142) on the Setup Menu. If a value other than "Last" is set, step 2 in the operation procedure is not required"

and they give an example using the PHONO input.

Safe to say it is not limited to CD, BT only.

andrewskaterrr

So I FINALLY looked into the Onkyo getting Dirac news. I avoided it because Onkyo is lower end, but $1400 for Dirac and 7.1.4??? WOW! I've been looking at Processors like the AV40/JBL SDP-55 (-58 HDMI 2.1) but they're just so expensive. I really want Front Wides, but I may give that up and save $3100+. I'm sure the DACs aren't nearly as good, but IDK if it's worth the extra money. I've got a Marantz SR5010 that I got for $500 back in 2016? and am upgrading to a HDMI 2.1 device. Any thoughts on it?

Sorry but I didn't find it in the manual. Is the RZ50 able to turn off it's internal amps when using pre-outs?
I have an Outlaw 7000x for 7.x.x, but will prolly run the x.x.4 ceiling off the internal amps, or get another 7000x or 5000x.

wseroyer

Hi,

I am hoping for some recommendations and “votes” of which you members would buy. Now I know the Pioneer have better watt and with that, higher price . But is it worth it? Do you guys think the pioneer will be a better quality/ build that it will be worth the money ?

https://www.pioneerhomeusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/[email protected]

https://www.onkyousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/TX-RZ50_US-1.pdf

Thank you.

I think the Yamaha RX-A6A is going to be the one to get.

Geronimo.USMC

So I FINALLY looked into the Onkyo getting Dirac news. I avoided it because Onkyo is lower end, but $1400 for Dirac and 7.1.4??? WOW! I've been looking at Processors like the AV40/JBL SDP-55 (-58 HDMI 2.1) but they're just so expensive. I really want Front Wides, but I may give that up and save $3100+. I'm sure the DACs aren't nearly as good, but IDK if it's worth the extra money. I've got a Marantz SR5010 that I got for $500 back in 2016? and am upgrading to a HDMI 2.1 device. Any thoughts on it?

Sorry but I didn't find it in the manual. Is the RZ50 able to turn off it's internal amps when using pre-outs?
I have an Outlaw 7000x for 7.x.x, but will prolly run the x.x.4 ceiling off the internal amps, or get another 7000x or 5000x.
Supports external amps via pre outs, but you cannot turn off internal amps. If running 7.x.4, both rear (back) surrounds MUST be externally powered no matter what. I'm going all external myself for 7.2.4, + a MiniDSP 2X4 HD. Just waiting for my pre-order to kick in.

andrewskaterrr

Supports external amps via pre outs, but you cannot turn off internal amps. If running 7.x.4, both rear (back) surrounds MUST be externally powered no matter what. I'm going all external myself for 7.2.4, + a MiniDSP 2X4 HD. Just waiting for my pre-order to kick in.
Hm well I’d have to order another Outlaw then. The DAC quality is what worries me. I have a MiniDSP 2x4 HD as well for my 4 subs. Great unit but going 4 subs I didn’t even have to time align them to fix all nulls in my main 3 seats lol.

Geronimo.USMC

I wanted DIRAC for a long time and almost pulled the trigger many times for the SDP55 as well. As far as DACs I’m not too worried. You can get the RZ50 now, and learn the ropes with DIRAC and upgrade later when JBL gets their act together with the software and/or release a stable 58 Model.

With a grain of salt, ONKYO might release a higher end later on in 2022 with better DACs, and a preamp mode that shuts down the amps as they have done so in the past. I’ll be upgrading to such a model if they release one.

By the way. Take the time and get your subs PROPERLY integrated. It will pay off.

andrewskaterrr

Ya I saw the rumors/leak about the RZ70/90 and may wait for those. The SDP-58 is what I was thinking about before but I don’t really want to spend that much if I don’t have to.

I will when I have time, but there’s not much more room for my subs to get better. The only null I have is at my couch’s chase 2 seats over. I used REW’s auto EQ with custom room curve and it measures great. Couldn’t believe how good 4 subs in a square pattern improved over single and calibrated dual subs.

Ata

Forum Donor
Hm well I’d have to order another Outlaw then. The DAC quality is what worries me. I have a MiniDSP 2x4 HD as well for my 4 subs. Great unit but going 4 subs I didn’t even have to time align them to fix all nulls in my main 3 seats lol.

The DACs are likely AKM4458 or their ESS multichannel equivalents (ESS9007?). There is nothing wrong with these chips per se and if the implementation is half decent the objective performance can be very good (SINAD 90 or better, good IMD, etc.). The DAC chips are the same as this forum's favourite DENON/Marantz AVRs, the SONY STR-DN1080, and many others.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

lower end??

Geronimo.USMC

From what I see and have seen others say, Onkyo is typically on the lower end of the AVR spectrum. Denon/Marantz in the middle, then Arcam, NAD, PrePros etc on the high end
There are tiers in the brands themselves as well. The RZ50 is NOT lower tier, or low end, EVEN when compared to other brands. I'm curious. Do you think Pioneer ELITE is lower tier?

Personally I'm going to sell my DENON X3700H, with the better DACs, in the classifieds as soon as my RZ50 comes in, and I consider that an upgrade.

Top Bottom