• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The tweeter is the most critical part...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just remember that guy listened The '' state of the art '' Stealth who have perfect fr and bla bla, he just think the Stealth sounds like shit.

There is always people who complain about something in audio and believe his opinion is very important.
That is off topic and ad hominem... And yes, the individual perception of headphones is unfortunately quite varying due to the different HRTFs of humans.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
That is off topic and ad hominem... And yes, the individual perception of headphones is unfortunately quite varying due to the different HRTFs of humans.
That was an ad hominem..?
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? lol.
Where I did a personal attack, can you clarify this? Please.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ad hominem is an argument which tries to disqualify someone because of something irrelevant he said or did in the past. Mentioning his Stealth review here and commenting it that some people take their opinions too seriously was as said off topic and ad hominem.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
and commenting it that some people take their opinions too seriously was off topic and ad hominem.
I clearly wrote '' There is always people who complain about something in audio and believe his opinion is very important.'', in that text there is no Oluv name.

cheers

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I clearly wrote '' There is always people who complain about something in audio and believe his opinion is very important.'', in that text there is no Oluv name.
Wow, you didn't write his name again in a post which was only about him and directly after commenting on his review so it is has nothing to do with it... :facepalm:

fmessier6

If the loudspeaker doesn't get the midrange right -- to me... it's an epic fail.

With the HS8, I always felt the mids had great presence and were materializing in front of me. With the Neumann's KH310, I felt the mids were coming from behind the speakers. I've talked to a few colleagues (composers) and two of them actually both went back to the HS8 for this reason, and I'm happy I'm not the only one.

But what creates this? I didn't find anything scientific supporting theories of having the mids "forward" or "behind".
Hope someone can clarify this for me.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
With the HS8, I always felt the mids had great presence and were materializing in front of me. With the Neumann's KH310, I felt the mids were coming from behind the speakers. I've talked to a few colleagues (composers) and two of them actually both went back to the HS8 for this reason, and I'm happy I'm not the only one.

But what creates this? I didn't find anything scientific supporting theories of having the mids "forward" or "behind".
Hope someone can clarify this for me.

I would think it was frequency response, no more and no less (??).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yamaha HS8 has a widening of the directivity at upper mids / lower highs and thus is accentuated there:

Yamaha-HS8-isboare.jpg

source: https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/yamaha-hs-8/

A increased level around that region (2-6 kHz) pushes perception of the localisation of the sound more forward:

440px-Akustik_-_Richtungsb%C3%A4nder.svg.png

(vorn = front, hinten = rear, oben = up)
source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blauertsche_Bänder

Mixing with it will make recordings having in these regions usually too low level and not sound neutral with neutral loudspeakers.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The HS8 is the worst speaker I've ever heard, sounded so dull and tonality was way off

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The quoted research points to two self evident features of dome material they may effect frequency response and dispersion ? Resonances are not in that research but if we add that , what’s more ?

There is no homeopathic property that imprints some “ aluminium dome sound on everything “ ? Like I thought in the past .

Implementation differences then ? hard dome will spread hf energy differently . Wonder if all speaker designers always been on top of thier game , making the balance of direct and indirect sound make sense ? Making the transition designing speakers with a soft dome vs a hard dome ?

To compound the matter dome material including Alu ( before be and diamond ) is a marketing property and some designs makes you hear that :) a proper implementation might instead give a subtle improvement that don’t stand out that much. Suppose it works the other way to with a silk dome ?

Larry B. Larabee

A increased level around that region (2-6 kHz) pushes perception of the localisation of the sound more forward:
Can you tell us more about this theory

The HS8 is the worst speaker I've ever heard, sounded so dull and tonality was way off
Thanks that helped. Besides dull and poor tonality did it have a forward sounding image?
I suppose you didn't bother taking any time in setup when you heard them either.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

dasdoing

Major Contributor
in general the midrange is clearly the most important.
for 2 reasons:
1) it's sonicly the most clouded range. every instument/voice is present there.
2) equal-loudness-contours; our ears are most sensible in the mid-range

midrange is like a black and white picture. everything is there. bass and treble just give it colour.
now if you leave the colour only, you wont get picture at all

dasdoing

Major Contributor
But what creates this?

in my experience with targets a flat direct sound makes this forward impression.
use FDW of 5 cycles in REW and make it flat. the messurement needs to be minimum phase though (create MP in REW - export MP - reimport).
on a 500ms window the result will have the typical HS/NS mids-rise

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yamaha HS8 has a widening of the directivity at upper mids / lower highs and thus is accentuated there:

Yamaha-HS8-isboare.jpg

source: https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/yamaha-hs-8/

440px-Akustik_-_Richtungsb%C3%A4nder.svg.png

(vorn = front, hinten = rear, oben = up)
source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blauertsche_Bänder

Mixing with it will make recordings having in these regions usually too low level and not sound neutral with neutral loudspeakers.
Since a listener’s sampling of that directivity plot would be represented by a horizontal vector (or two?) through the graph, how does the widening represent accentuated sound in that area?

fredstuhl

Since a listener’s sampling of that directivity plot would be represented by a horizontal vector (or two?) through the graph, how does the widening represent accentuated sound in that area?
Think about the reflections in the room

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nearfield less of course.
Ok thanks, hadn’t considered reflections.:facepalm:
I need to remember the old adage “Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.” :)

Top Bottom