• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Truth Pre Amp Review

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I reckon Bay Staters would say soddah.
Especially if they're from Reveah.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
or is it saunter?

Actually, I wouldn't know, as I am more of a mosey-er myself. :cool:

1623203436436.png

pma

Major Contributor
Why this poor design is getting so much attraction. Serious audio topics are disappearing from ASR. This seems to be a saga of every audio forum.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Why this poor design is getting so much attraction. Serious audio topics are disappearing from ASR. This seems to be a saga of every audio forum.

More and more problems are solved problems, so the only thing left in those areas is product differentiation and voodoo. Like old fashioned power amps, for example.:D

Now tell those kids to get off your lawn.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

To big extent Amir is limited by what people are willing and able to send him to test. It isn't as if he has deep pockets to buy all this junk. Unless something is very small, that means stuff owned by people in the USA, and for a lot of stuff, on the West side of the continent.

For those of us outside the US, as much as we might like to send something over to add to the tests, it is near impossible to contemplate.

If there is something you would like to see tested, see if you can dig out someone in the US that can be convinced to sent it in.
For other topics, anyone can start one. The conversation depends upon those participating.

This design is getting so much attention because it exemplifies a whole lot about what is nuts about audiophile equipment and the entire eco-system. It isn't the device itself really. Just what it represents.

Moderate Dionysianism

Drama and shitstorm will always prevail on the web, even if science is the starting point:)
OTOH it's not all that bad - I think the contributions from @Francis Vaughan, are great value - always informative and to the point, without being confusing to a layperson like myself. Kudos to you sir!

Maybe the whole aspect of adherence to the safety and design standards/good practices could one day be factored into the ASR's evaluation procedure. Besides the feature set, this seems to be a differentiating factor and possibly a good complement to the measurement-based recommendations.

Katji

Major Contributor
OK, this video just came out.
AvE, (a great YouTube channel, perhaps an acquired taste).

This is one of the best videos he has ever done. Watch every second of it. Everyone.
:confused: So, I will not be going up Table Mountain ever again.

The "sodder" thing? ...Is his accent identifiable, just Southern? Quite pleasant. Not like what I get on tv so often.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Maybe the whole aspect of adherence to the safety and design standards/good practices could one day be factored into the ASR's evaluation procedure. Besides the feature set, this seems to be a differentiating factor and possibly a good complement to the measurement-based recommendations.

Amir did go into this in this review of another amplifier. I agree construction/safety should be mentioned when there are issues.

ed schilling

Been too busy to even read anything since the link to the Stereophile review. So you all are spared.
As I said, the favorable review indicated they were listened to properly. I know FOR A FACT they were measured in free space. JA told me so.
Did not matter to anyone who bought them since all they had to do was send them back if not happy, just like The Truth.

About the block diagram. well, I invented the thing. I did not borrow ideas of how to build it. The Lightspeed was inspiration but so seriously flawed I went in another direction. I did build one (he posted plans and encouraged it at the time) and then an improved version with buffers but the optocouplers were a MAJOR problem. Matched pairs? Uh, no. The Truth does not require matched cells, they just need the same specs. I spent a considerable amount of time and went through more than 20 pairs of various photocells before I was happy enough to let Helen hear it. I had no one to help me in the selection of photocells. I had to learn about them and as I did I got closer to what I wanted. I started to see a relationship between what I was hearing and their specs.

I could care less if someone figures it all out and builds one for them self. I see no reason I should make it easy for them however, no one made it easy for me.

I do not build them "to sell". I build them for people that want one and if it does not kill what they have all they have to do is send it back.

Since I have not checked back in, was the offset on the "review" sample checked?
Ed

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cult like followings will typically receive a lot of attraction. If you knew of Ed and his ways, and you prefer those ways you'd understand.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Cult like followings will typically receive a lot of attraction. If you knew of Ed and his ways, and you prefer those ways you'd understand.
It takes a lot of elbow grease to make that turd shine!

Top Bottom