• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Truth Pre Amp Review

KSTR

Major Contributor
Is there any pot that doesn't eventually get noisy with age?
Eventually, everything falls apart. Sealed/dust-proof industrial type, large size and multiple fingers on the wiper is usually good for many 10,000 cycles.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Solderdude, you crossed a line by posting a schematic of something that you didn't have permission to do so. I won't answer any questions about it. You know what you should do.
Sorry.
Ed
How is that wrong if he reverse-engineered it from photos? How is he giving away any secrets?

Reactions: Tks

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
How is that wrong if he reverse-engineered it from photos? How is he giving away any secrets?
This is part of the PT Barnum act. Don’t ascribe truth value to it, it’s entertainment.

pma

Major Contributor
This preamp is almost as good as Jack Bybee’s devices. (Bybee Quantum Purifiers)

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Solderdude, you crossed a line by posting a schematic of something that you didn't have permission to do so. I won't answer any questions about it. You know what you should do.
Sorry.
Ed
Creating a schematic of something from visual observation and posting that schematic is fair game. If he had somehow published your personal schematic, it would be different, but Solderdude is the author of his schematic. It might not even be accurate, but he has every right to post it.

Actually its such as simple device, I'm almost inspired to create my own preamp using a nice microcontroller stepped relay with quadrature encoder scheme with the best buffer I can find. Using the PWM output of the microcontroller I could drive a real VU meter which indicates the position of the volume control (although that would be limited to 20db or so) - that may just be the golden gimmick since VU meters are so trendy and nobody else as far as I know has used a VU meter for that function. I may fire up Altium and just do it. Although my wiring will look more NASA inspired. I've been looking for a good use for all the lacing twine I've got stored away. ;)

BTW, I've got to stop editing this post with every new idea I come up with, or I'll never get anything else done. o_O

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
I've been looking for a good use for all the lacing twine I've got stored away.
Yeah, lacing twine, mil/aerospace style cable bundling... also very good for controlled crosstalk ;-)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Yeah, lacing twine, mil/aerospace style cable bundling... also very good for controlled crosstalk ;-)
You don't bundle adjacent channels together, obviously, and shielded wire is a given. But otherwise mil/NASA all the way. This might be the first preamp to be qualified for landing on Mars. ;)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...I'm not entirely sure what the takeaway from that story was meant to be, but personally I got "thank god I wasn't born in the 60s".
Distilled down it was violence is the correct form of attack, truth isn't an acceptable form of debate, seems like the lesson was learned.

There is a lot of sealioning going on in this thread.

H-713

OK, this video just came out.
AvE, (a great YouTube channel, perhaps an acquired taste).

This is one of the best videos he has ever done. Watch every second of it. Everyone.

"Inconceivable" that a cable fails. Seriously? Seriously?

A lot of the professional sailboat racing teams have a policy to replace shrouds every x number of years for this very reason. I have seen it happen many times, and it's always a mess.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A lot of the professional sailboat racing teams have a policy to replace shrouds every x number of years for this very reason. I have seen it happen many times, and it's always a mess.

I crew for my brother on a Nacra 5.8 (high performance off the beach catamaran.) He is an engineer, and religiously changes over standing rigging on a regular cycle. However this season just gone, we suddenly both found ourselves in the water next to a capsizing boat. The failure was the common trapeze line failing at the hounds, it fractured inside the swage. :oops:
No failure is inconceivable. This was arguably an issue with a common load point. The design had changed from the previous use of fully separate lines to a neater design, but one that imposed twice the load on the part that failed.

H-713

I crew for my brother on a Nacra 5.8 (high performance off the beach catamaran.) He is an engineer, and religiously changes over standing rigging on a regular cycle. However this season just gone, we suddenly both found ourselves in the water next to a capsizing boat. The failure was the common trapeze line failing at the hounds, it fractured inside the swage. :oops:
No failure is inconceivable. This was arguably an issue with a common load point. The design had changed from the previous use of fully separate lines to a neater design, but one that imposed twice the load on the part that failed.

In the last few years, I've seen at least three cases where broken forestays have destroyed jibs on E-Scows or small keelboats. All I can say is that a forestay is a whole lot less expensive than a jib. Fortunately none resulted in dismastings, though I've seen at least a few boats lose their mast on the starting line from broken shrouds. Usually those shrouds are at least 10 years old.

The point is, the whole "that doesn't seem like it could ever break" or "It's old, but it looks okay to me!" mindset isn't always accurate.

D

Deleted member 26571

Are those Daven attenuators in there?
In where? If you mean my HPA, yes. Look a little farther down the thread and I posted some pictures of the mods I made to them.

Otherwise, I don't know.

Top Bottom