• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Truth Pre Amp Review

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
This is a gag review, right? I hope this is just a joke because I cannot believe something so shoddy could make its way out of anybody's shop. Looks like it was assembled by a drunk.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Doesn't surprise me in the least. For a big name model like the SLO you need reliability and consistency. Vactrols are, in the modern world, a device that has no reason to exist.
I understand why he used them at the time. Relays when it was initially designed weren't great - at least at sizes that made sense for that PCB. Plus, the popping upon channel switching complicated the circuit design with the need for anti-pop resistors or mute FETs.

Tube guitar amps however so value the vintage mojo that is gets little short of clinically obsessive.

Yep. Tube rectifiers, low quality iron, barely sufficient capacitance in the power supply, AC heaters....

Anyway, back on topic, this thing is a piece of junk and I am baffled it costs over $1000.

Mosfet

"The bottom line is simple, this component will improve the sound of any compatible system. One must simply accept to live with the low budget look and feel of the unit. At the $1000 asking price it's worth the investment for all but the most low budget systems."

o_O:eek::rolleyes:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1622392329751.png

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
OMG…. Snake Oil at its best !!!! Honestly it looks like a 6th Grader Science school project went south

Last edited:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Perhaps the panthers have schemed up some sort of secret union rules for maximum / minimum photo appearances?

bboris77

Did they write IN / OUT with marker? :oops:
It's like you're getting an autograph free of charge. The whole look reminds me of road worn/pre-aged electric guitars. I think we really do need to see a proper teardown/analysis of the unit @amirm tested at this stage.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
Do you realize the big gap and the mental gymnastics that amir imposes on us, he makes us pass from Trinnov to this thing!:)

AndreaT

Expensive for the low quality. It might sell because people equate hand-made with high quality, but a look at the interior reveals poor soldering and signal path planning. Another great review to help us direct our passion without wasting Dollars.

B4ICU

How many fall to the name and purchased one of the True Pre-Amp?
Do they have a return / refund policy?
If not, I assume that the feeling being stuck with this "masterpiece", is like flashing down the toilet $1k.

Nomad

Just for my own knowledge: is there a specific reason why the 1khz signal is not set to 0 dB but something like -8 dB?

BTW, thanks for the review! Admirable how you keep testing these, while being confronted by so much anger in other threads.

KSTR

Major Contributor
As for the gut shot of a seemingly different version in post #17, OMG, what a hack job! And it's illegal and dangerous. PE wire going through a measily switch (a ground lift, probably) on its way to the chassis, baam!

Top Bottom