• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Truth About Vinyl Records

Holmz

Major Contributor
... Take Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon. The original analog master tape is almost 40 years old, so arguably an original ‘73 Blue Harvest release LP in good condition will currently hold more detail than the said master.

Confucius say, “Good student become better than master.”

Peterinvan

I attended a listening session at my local high end retailer, where they were demoing Wilson Sasha (?) speakers and very expensive turntables, pre amps, amps and connectors. I would guess $150,000 worth of gear.

I was curious to see what the best vinyl could sound like. There were about 15 vinyl lovers, and some brought their best demo records to hear.

My bias: I gave up vinyl and CD years ago and listen to Tidal streaming (on decent gear). I kept my mouth shut as I suspected I was in the minority.

I was amazed at the 5 minute ritual one goes through to clean the record, and the needle, and trying to drop the needle on the start of the demo track. Then I was distracted by the snap-crackle-pop on the first album. The retailer said it had been played 3 or 4 times, and to expect some snaps.

The Wilsons sounded bright with great bass and overall SQ, but the retailer was playing at between 70 and 84 db (as per my iPhone app). I left after three tracks to avoid any further damage to my old ears.

Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor
I attended a listening session at my local high end retailer, where they were demoing Wilson Shasha (?) speakers and very expensive turntables, pre amps, amps and connectors. I would guess $150,000 worth of gear.

I was curious to see what the best vinyl could sound like. There were about 15 vinyl lovers, and some brought their best demo records to hear.

My bias: I gave up vinyl and CD years ago and listen to Tidal streaming (on decent gear). I kept my mouth shut as I suspected I was in the minority.

I was amazed at the 5 minute ritual one goes through to clean the record, and the needle, and trying to drop the needle on the start of the demo track. Then I was distracted by the snap-crackle-pop on the first album. The retailer said it had been played 3 or 4 times, and to expect some snaps.

The Wilsons sounded bright with great bass and overall SQ, but the retailer was playing at between 70 and 84 db (as per my iPhone app). I left after three tracks to avoid any further damage to my old ears.
Playing around with antique technology can take many different forms. I don't take vinyl SQ too seriously but do enjoy the "original" sound of some original pressings complete with some noise for a change of pace and some historical and artistic context to the music. I can grab an album from my collection and throw it on the TT and start playing music as fast or faster than using the clunky search function on my streaming app. I clean old albums when I get them if they are dirty but don't bother much after that unless they get dirty. Trying to get "perfect" sound from an LP would drive me crazy but for some it is part of the fun.... at least with vinyl you can have fun trying vs digital where SQ is what it is.

EarlessOldMan

Having had the misfortune of hearing LPs produced in the US during the 1970s oil crisis, I can understand why some members have a VERY strong Pavlovian response to vinyl. If I was in their position, I'd likely have the same too. UK pressings are typically much better, often considered among the best in fact, so I haven't had to suffer the flaws of vinyl as much as our American friends.

This might explain much of someone like Sal's response to vinyl. He is certainly of the right age and from the right place to have experienced the worst of vinyl at a formative time in his life.
Ain't it the truth. So much '70s US vinyl sounds pretty bad. To me, a lot of it has a sort of "boxy" sound.

That poor quality has sent me back to records from the '50s and early '60s. I've been very impressed by the sound out of some of the Dot and Command disks that I have. Enoch Light had some kind of cheesy taste, but he could manage a recording. Same with Billy Vaughn.

atmasphere

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm guessing that the author hasn't spent a lot of time around an actual LP mastering operation as there is a bit of misinformation in the OP.
The process of creating a record begins with the mastering process on quarter inch tape.
For a master, 1/2" tape at 15 i.p.s. was considered the ideal format. 1/4" masters did happen but were always considered a bit of a compromise.
Great care must be taken to prepare the master recording to fit the requirements of the disc mastering process.
Really the care is up to the mastering engineer, not the people making the recording- their job was/is to secure the musical event as best they can.
Low frequencies up to 150hz should be kept mono
This statement is false. What's important is to minimize out of phase bass. Typically what is used (to save time) is a passive processor that senses out of phase bass information (which can knock the stylus out of the groove) and makes it mono only for the duration of the event (our processor had a cutoff frequency of 80Hz, keeping the mono bass in a region where its entirely reverberant in most rooms due to the wavelength). However, it should be noted this is really a time-saving thing (and really only a problem when there are multiple bass tracks recorded separately). If the engineer is allowed time to spend on the project, I found that you can find a way to deal with the out of phase bass by using a variety of techniques. One is to reduce the overall amplitude of the cut, since a dB might not seem like much to audibility, but a 1dB reduction in modulation can have a big effect on the cut (this is becase a 3dB reduction in cutter amplifier power will result in 1/2 the modulation in the groove). That and increasing the groove depth often gets around any need to use mono bass. To sort that out you have to make a few test cuts; we kept lacquers on hand that had short cuts on them for that purpose alone.
Attenuating these frequencies is important to avoid distortion on a record.
This statement is false. If there is a problem with silibance its usually due to poor EQ on the master tape or file. This was a common problem in the old days though (due to cruder styli of early cartridges) so there are HF limiters designed to halt such nonsense. If you are aware of a problem like that in the master recording a bit of EQ to calm it down will avoid the use of the limiters. You can of course save time by pushing the 'HF Limit' button, which does not roll off the audio.
Use compression to control any excessive dynamics. During a traditional mastering session, compression is used to control dynamics. This is done to balance the dynamics, avoid distortion, and allow for pushing the signal into a louder territory. When mastering for vinyl, controlling dynamics takes on a different and wholly unique purpose. If a metal master used for cutting a lacquer is too dynamic, then the greater amplitude will cause a significant cut into the lacquer. The significant cut can cause consumer-grade needles to jump out of place, and cause what is often referred to as a skipping record. With that said, greater amounts of compression or dynamic control may be needed to adequately prepare a master for the vinyl cutting process.
The limit of LP reproduction, as pointed out here, is in playback, not record. The cutter head can cut undistorted grooves no cartridge can track. But that is not the same as saying you have to compress the signal, although certainly you have to find where trouble spots might be and set levels accordingly. Compression is used as a time-saver, which can be read as a money saver since the engineer's time is really expensive ($500/hour is common).

One of the most notable and perhaps more interesting effects is how the shape of the vinyl record, eventually causes higher frequencies to be attenuated, the closer the needle gets toward the centre.
I find this to be one of the most common myths of LP reproduction. Its not a fault on the record side, its on the playback side. This myth came into being due to early stereo cartridges that simply didn't have the precision of modern cartridge styli. Anecdotally we used a Technics SL1200 in our mastering lab, equipped with a Grado Gold. It was intended as a 'typical playback' machine; if we could play a cut on it we knew the cut would be OK. It could reproduce 25KHz no worries (at 1mil modulation) just before the lead-out grooves. That is why I say this bit is probably older information that comes from studies done in the early 1960s or thereabouts (I've seen such articles referenced before on this account that proved to be from that era; there has been 40-60 years of evolution in cartridges and styli in that time...).
Opinions vary as to the actual frequency range of a vinyl LP. There are reports that they are capable of reproducing supersonic frequencies maybe as high as 100KHz. However, the high frequencies are a moot point as the RIAA preamp will only pass frequencies from 20Hz to 20KHz. The low end is less spectacular with a realistic threshold of around 24Hz.
Most of the info about the mastering lathe is correct but I have to address this comment as its really inaccurate. Our cutter system, the Westerex 3D with 1700 electronics, was bandwidth limited to roll off at 6dB/octave starting at 42KHz (which, due to RIAA pre-emphasis, meant that it went to 'flat'; a 'zero' was introduced). Of course CD-4 systems went a bit higher, but as you can imagine that was possible with only minor mods to existing systems. The Westerex 3D cutter was the first stereo head (introduced 1958) and later cutters such as the Neumann had wider bandwidth. The low frequency limit is well below 24Hz; that limit is described by the mechanical resonance of the playback apparatus! The Westerex cutter and its electronics had no problem doing well below 10Hz (we couldn't play it back but we could see the modulation on the 'scope easily enough).

So a realistic bandwidth of an LP is around 10Hz to around 40-50Hz. Is that bandwidth always used? Hardly- but mostly due to time saving issues, not because the LP couldn't do it and the microphones themselves usually don't have that kind of bandwidth anyway. FWIW most phono preamps made in the last 60 years have bandwidth well past a mere 20KHz!

The LP has the widest bandwidth of any analog audio format, and is wider than 16 bit Redbook which doesn't go past 19KHz as we all know.

WRT noise floor, as described on other threads, if the cutter is set up properly (angle, depth, 'tracking' force and temperature) then the cut it makes is very quiet; on lacquers (I don't have experience with DMM) quieter than any playback electronics. The surface noise comes in during the pressing process!

Analog Productions runs a pressing plant known as QRP. According to Chad (the owner, in a conversation I had with him), they took the time to damp their pressing machines to prevent vibration during the pressing process, in particular as the pressing is cooling. By doing so they have created LP surfaces that are nearly as quiet as the dead silence of the lacquers. Its pretty impressive to hear- we did a project through them that used a digital master. The LP tests we got back were so quiet that I wondered if there was something wrong with the phono preamp until the music erupted from the speakers. They typically don't get noise floors like that with a lot of their reissues simply because the master tapes are too noisy. The noise floor of our tests had to be very close to 80dB down based on it being quieter than the playback electronics, which were -75dB. Of course this takes no more room on the disc than if its got a poor noise floor since this is about the pressing quality and nothing else.

About 3 1/2 years ago the Appollodisc plant that produced 80% of the lacquers made worldwide burned to the ground. They do not appear to be rebuilding, at least not at the time I sold my lathe this last spring. It seemed a good time to get out. I've not looked back; digital is quite satisfying. But I did feel compelled to correct the more obvious errors in this otherwise informative post.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Punter

Punter

I'm guessing that the author hasn't spent a lot of time around an actual LP mastering operation as there is a bit of misinformation in the OP.

For a master, 1/2" tape at 15 i.p.s. was considered the ideal format. 1/4" masters did happen but were always considered a bit of a compromise.

Really the care is up to the mastering engineer, not the people making the recording- their job was/is to secure the musical event as best they can.
Thanks for the corrections atmasphere, I freely admit almost no close experience with vinyl mastering, my post was based on a bunch of internet research. Interesting that you played your lacquers, my info said "NO!" It's always great to get some first-hand info like this :)

atmasphere

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks for the corrections atmasphere, I freely admit almost no close experience with vinyl mastering, my post was based on a bunch of internet research. Interesting that you played your lacquers, my info said "NO!" It's always great to get some first-hand info like this :)
Thanks!
In a mastering studio its commonplace to play lacquers, even ones that are going to press. You have to, in order to know if a tricky bit is going to work. Here's how you get away with it:

A lacquer for a 12" LP is actually 14" in diameter. Its made of a machined aluminum disc with the lacquer 'painted' on. Only one side is used for a pressing so two have to be cut to do one LP.

So when you are doing something tricky you have several options. One I mentioned in my prior post, which is to set aside a lacquer for test cuts. But you can do test cuts on the lacquer that is going to the pressing plant too. One obvious way is to do a test cut on the wrong side (the sides are marked BTW because one side is the quiet side). The other way is to do the test cut outside of the lead-in grooves. This can be easily played back by any tonearm. If you play around with these little tricks you can avoid compression, limiting, mono bass, overcuts and the like, using a source that might be the same as used for the digital release.

Lacquers are also available in 12" size, which are either used for 10" releases or as 'reference'. If the latter, the intention is a lathe cut that is meant to demo the intended LP cut. Such a reference can be sent to the producer or the like and might be good for about 10 plays before its shot. (A record store owner friend of mine (Earl Root, RIP) once found a trunk being sold in a trailer park in Indiana that was full of reference cuts from the 60s and 70s from famous artists like Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan. $50.00 was the asking price. Earl didn't have the heart to take the drunk owner to the cleaners like that- it was obvious the guy had no idea the worth! So Earl told him about Southby's in New York and how to sell the lacquers. The drunk rapidly became quite wealthy. Earl checked in on him 3 months later and the guy was dead from alcohol abuse. So much for taking someone to the cleaners...)

I found though that its best to get a source file (if the project is digital) that lacks the DSP that is commonly added to the digital master. This is because the file for the digital release typically has compression in it, so by getting rid of the DSP you can cut a better-sounding LP. Since the LP release won't be played in a car, you don't need any compression or limiting. Most people think that digital has greater dynamic range and that is true in theory, but most of the time its compressed, wheras if the LP mastering engineer did his homework, the LP release isn't. Most of the time the master file or tape simply doesn't have the dynamic range prior to the mastering step (whether digital or not) anyway (even if orchestral in nature) so compression in particular is really just a time saving thing.

RCAguy

Analog and digital recordings sound different especially because of their different distortion mechanisms that were decades apart in era. Digital's artifacts are minimal unless in mastering and distribution of pop music played on low quality systems has entailed abusive level compression and intentional clipping.

Excluding two tape generations if not direct-to-disk, most vinyl distortion is a function of replay errors due to stylus shape, misalignments, cantilever-tonearm resonance, skating, poor frequency\phase response due to improper cartridge loading and inaccurate RIAA, etc. If users\installers optimized these, then vinyl replay still qualifies as "high-fidelity."

The best vinyl can be is already waiting in the groove, to be cleaned, scanned with the best stylus, tracked with an aligned tonearm, then properly amplified. Unlike digital, with "nothing serviceable inside," users are invited inside their turntables to make better sound, with the help of a good reference to know the science of the phonograph.

I've devoted much in the book to often overlooked low-distortion stylus choices, capacitive load (C-load) selection, adequate preamp headroom, and cartridge channel sensitivity balancing needed for best stereo soundstage and cancellation of vertical artifacts in mono, plus proper mono mixing that will not accentuate groove clicks & pops, as the unmodified PCB does. The preamp maker project plus the tonearm one and avoiding buying the wrong stylus would save the book's price many times over.

Attachments

• RM-PhonoBk2ndEd_CoverPersp_221104trunc2.jpg
    RM-PhonoBk2ndEd_CoverPersp_221104trunc2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Bernard23

Interesting article, thanks for taking the time to write it. I was an early convert to CD, then to streaming as soon as it became viable with optical toslink connections in sensibly priced laptops, and chased bit perfection thereafter, pretty convinced that it sounded (never mind that it was ethnically) better than my Linn LP12 / Ittok setup. 15 or so years later, I haven't changed that view, though I'm a cynic of hi-res as I'm sure that the majority of folk cannot reliably distinguish between 320kbs and CDA, let alone latter and 192k sample rates; I know I can't as I've tried online blind ABx tests. However, streaming means we have an entire library at the click of a mouse, so I haven't played an album in years, just playlists, and even then not always each song to the end; and that's what I miss; the ritual of playing an LP. Given the price of an LP, you were forced to listen to the entire recording, at least once anyway, I wonder how many great "B" sides I have missed over the years. I've recently invested in a vintage vinyl analogue system largely because of that. The SQ is not as good as a 24 bit remastered track from Qobuz played via Roon with DSP into my LCD-X phones, but it does a much better job than I recall, and with all of the enjoyment of the ritual.
Being an engineer, I find there is something visceral about a turntable that transcends mere functional performance; that it works at all is a testimony to the ingenuity of the designers and engineers that managed to refine it to such a level. Some of us are delighted by the mechanical complexity of machines, irrespective of their ability to meet a functional need that will often be superceded by a new, more effective technological solution. Music is an emotional process, often invoking memories of a past time and place, and the click, pops and (barely audible) rumble are part of that soundtrack. Unsurprisingly perhaps, the older you get, the more relevant your memory becomes, and occasionally it's less important that it's the ground truth. A bit of coloration is great, providing you realise that's what it is; like most things in life really.

Last edited:

EarlessOldMan

Bernard23 makes some very important observations. I'd like to amplify on his comments, especially his closing sentences:

Music is an emotional process, often invoking memories of a past time and place, and the click, pops and (barely audible) rumble are part of that soundtrack. Unsurprisingly perhaps, the older you get, the more relevant your memory becomes, and occasionally it's less important that it's the ground truth. A bit of coloration is great, providing you realise that's what it is; like most things in life really.

All of us like to think of ourselves as being able to respond neutrally to inputs from the world that we inhabit. We believe that we're actually objective observers. And that is, of course, not true at all.

In terms of objective qualities, we all have physical limitations. Even those with the best of hearing have some limitations. No one can really hear anything above about 20kHz. If we're older, hearing loss sets in well below 20kHz. And we also don't perceive low-frequency signals as well as we do midrange frequencies.

Those are just the simple physical limitations. More important is the brain processing. Our brains assemble auditory inputs into what we perceive as tones. That complex process of assembling tones isn't itself neutral. We make sense of auditory inputs using a vast amount of information in our brains, including information that might seem to have nothing to do with the actual auditory inputs themselves.

Let me offer a couple of examples from my life:

1. In early 1983, during one of the several poverty-stricken periods of my life, a friend gave me a free television--an old Japanese 13-inch black-and-white television with a busted antenna. When she gave it to me, she said, "The speaker got wet somehow one time, and it doesn't sound right." And she was right. When I first got the TV, I had a hard time understanding anything issuing from the speaker. But within a few weeks, I could understand it just fine.

My girlfriend (later wife) had the same experience. At first, she'd say, "What are they saying? What are they saying?" Then she was able to understand everything just fine.

If we watched TV with friends, they'd say, "What are they saying?!?!" And we'd interpret.

Our brains had learned to make sense of the distorted signals from the damaged speaker.

2. I'm 65. I know that I am essentially deaf to tones above 8kHz. Oh, I can very faintly hear isolated tones up to 14kHz if they're loud enough; but I can't hear them if any other sounds are present. I have significant, constant tinnitus. And I often have trouble hearing conversations in noisy situations.

My youngest is now fourteen years old. She has excellent hearing. We have been out, and I have heard songs playing. I'll say, "Hey, listen to that! They're playing [so-and-so]." And she will have to struggle to pick out the song--despite the fact that her hearing is significantly better than mine. She can no doubt hear the same tones. But she isn't familiar with the songs, so she can't pick the tones of the song out of the background tones and assemble them into something meaningful.

When any of us listens to music (or anything else), we are bringing to the experience a very significant amount of information already available in our brains. And that information includes all sorts of emotional values. (And there's no clean distinction between "reason" and "emotion" anyway. Those are terms that we apply to neural processes that can't be readily distinguished from one another. As the great poet Theodore Roethke wrote, "We think by feeling. What is there to know?")

What does all this have to do with listening to vinyl?

Let me speak only for myself.

When I spin a record, I am not listening simply to the tones issuing from the speaker. I am bringing to the experience a host of memories and attitudes, including attitudes toward vinyl in general, toward the particular disk that I'm playing, toward the equipment I'm using, and toward the entire environment in which the experience is occurring. That host of memories and attitudes is a significant part--perhaps the most significant part--in constructing my current experience.

Another anecdote: This past Saturday, I bought a couple of kind of junker turntables, one of which is a Realistic Lab-50, a lower-end belt-drive changer made by BSR. I had to clean up some goo, install a new belt, and install a new stylus. (The cartridge is a Realistic-branded Shure.) Then I dropped the needle on an album.

It sounded great.

I know that a significant part of the pleasure that I took from the experience derived from the fact that I had rescued a junker turntable. I also took pleasure in the experience because of the drive I made to pick up the turntable. After I put the turntable (and a junker BIC) in my car, I helped a couple of gentlemen loosen the lug nuts on the car next to mine in the parking lot. They were nice guys, and I felt good that I could help them. As I listened to the album, I was also thinking about sending a video of the changer at work to my brother and a friend, both of whom also love old turntables. I knew that they'd enjoy the video and enjoy learning about how I'd gotten a decent working changer for an investment of little more than $12.50.

I can offer a host of examples of similar experiences that tell me, at least, that a great deal of how I hear any piece of music is tied up with all sorts of memories and attitudes. I think that's true for all of us. And I think that's why some people can listen to an expensive system with objectively subpar performance and still deem the system to be superb.

In short, none of us is a truly objective listener. We actively create a very significant portion of our listening experiences. And we cannot readily subtract from any experience the sum (or, speaking mathematically, perhaps the product) of the host of preexisting attitudes and memories that we bring to the experience.

For a good recent book on the general topic of consciousness and the role of our brains in creating our experienced environments, see Anil Seth, Being You. https://www.anilseth.com/being-you/

Bernard23

McGurck Effect, Tritone Paradox, Shepherd Illusion, these are real things. Unless you live in an isolated universe, then objective measurement has to underpin any kind of meaningful sharing of data, after that, it's up to you to bathe in your own unique personal glorious subjective nirvana!

EarlessOldMan

The scientific method assumes that all individual observations are subjective and thus that any individual observation may be unreliable or invalid. We try to achieve objective observations by comparison of multiple subjective observations, thus eliminating observer bias. This is why replication of observations is key to the scientific method.

Any individual observation can more nearly approach the standard of objectivity if it uses a standard, reliable methodology, including the use of reliable measuring equipment. That's why Amir's reviews are useful. He uses reliable equipment and reliable methodologies.

With that said, it's still possible that something idiosyncratic lurks in Amir's equipment and methodology. Ideally, other researchers would try to replicate Amir's observations.

Let me emphasize that I don't see any reason to think that Amir's equipment or methodology is open to serious doubt. I am simply pointing out the general importance of replication to the scientific method.

Bernard23

The scientific method assumes that all individual observations are subjective and thus that any individual observation may be unreliable or invalid. We try to achieve objective observations by comparison of multiple subjective observations, thus eliminating observer bias. This is why replication of observations is key to the scientific method.

Any individual observation can more nearly approach the standard of objectivity if it uses a standard, reliable methodology, including the use of reliable measuring equipment. That's why Amir's reviews are useful. He uses reliable equipment and reliable methodologies.

With that said, it's still possible that something idiosyncratic lurks in Amir's equipment and methodology. Ideally, other researchers would try to replicate Amir's observations.

Let me emphasize that I don't see any reason to think that Amir's equipment or methodology is open to serious doubt. I am simply pointing out the general importance of replication to the scientific method.
I agree, but refrained from asking that question openly. How can we trust his data is correct? The strategy is appropriate, the methodology flawed without the inter laboratory comparison. Uncertainty is derived from the instrument, the operator and the environment primarily.
Personally, I'm not a disciple as such of Amir, but I am of his approach. Its encouraging though that other contributors are also submitting data on the same products, so we get some idea of the measurement uncertainty.
A fundamental principle of a forum such as this would be to appreciate that a measurement without an uncertainty is as meaningless as opinion.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Music is an emotional process, often invoking memories of a past time and place, and the click, pops and (barely audible) rumble are part of that soundtrack. Unsurprisingly perhaps, the older you get, the more relevant your memory becomes, and occasionally it's less important that it's the ground truth. A bit of coloration is great, providing you realise that's what it is; like most things in life really.
I'm sure that's all true for some. But for decades I searched for ways to minimize or eliminate all those distortions.
Then the CD came along and I was overjoyed, as J Gordon Holt said, all else is gaslight.
No way in hell I'm going back to all that, thank you. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ideally, other researchers would try to replicate Amir's observations.
They have, both before and after his.
In most all cases they were within a small % of difference.

Bernard23

They have, both before and after his.
In most all cases they were within a small % of difference.
The International Bureau of Metrology has acceptable limits on these inter lab comparisons before the data can be assumed as truth. Don't know what they are, and it's a top agenda item on the numerous international standards committees.

Top Bottom