• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The truth about Apple Engineering?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One of the fun online educational videos I watch from time to time is from Louis Rossmann. He is a repair technician who does chip level repairs on Apple products (quite a challenge). In addition, he has quite strong opinions about issues related to his business. And interestingly enough, he has little love for Apple. To wit, he recently post this video. It is worth a watch:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
No Apple anything here since 1998.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
One of our techs used to work for Apple repairing PCs and monitors. Had nothing good to say about HW reliability especially after the switch to Intel-based systems. But I've many friends and coworkers who are fans and have not had problems.

Dismayed

My next computer will be commodity hardware running Linux.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wrote software for my own use from 1970 until 1985. After experience of the pitiful Microsoft OS in 1985 I decided never to spend a penny of my own money on anything Microsoft ever. I failed, I bought my wife Word once. Otherwise I only used PCs somebody else paid for at work and haven't touched one in the 8 years since I retired.
OTOH at home I have used Macs since 1987 and never had a fault, 31 years though I don't remember how many during that time. I currently use this Macbook Pro most but have a Mac Pro for Photoshop and similar, I use an iMac as a streamer and for my Metric Halo firewire recording box.
No complaints from me.
I tried a Samsung mobile phone. The battery life was poor and unbeknown to me the default settings were to get as much money out of me as possible by updating all the phone apps using mobile data as soon as I switched it on, £20 worth within an hour. I gave it away. I have gone back to an iPhone now, no complaints.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I wrote software for my own use from 1970 until 1985. After experience of the pitiful Microsoft OS in 1985 I decided never to spend a penny of my own money on anything Microsoft ever. I failed, I bought my wife Word once. Otherwise I only used PCs somebody else paid for at work and haven't touched one in the 8 years since I retired.
OTOH at home I have used Macs since 1987 and never had a fault, 31 years though I don't remember how many during that time. I currently use this Macbook Pro most but have a Mac Pro for Photoshop and similar, I use an iMac as a streamer and for my Metric Halo firewire recording box.
No complaints from me.
I tried a Samsung mobile phone. The battery life was poor and unbeknown to me the default settings were to get as much money out of me as possible by updating all the phone apps using mobile data as soon as I switched it on, £20 worth within an hour. I gave it away. I have gone back to an iPhone now, no complaints.

I am a happy Apple user as well. However, my wife’s iPhone x is in for repair due to faulty screen right now. A colleague wondered today if his one-year old iPhone needed a new battery. Just anecdotes. But do we sense a bit of unfruitful complacency in Apple?

Dismayed

Wombat

Master Contributor
One of the fun online educational videos I watch from time to time is from Louis Rossmann. He is a repair technician who does chip level repairs on Apple products (quite a challenge). In addition, he has quite strong opinions about issues related to his business. And interestingly enough, he has little love for Apple. To wit, he recently post this video. It is worth a watch:

Not on our patch, anymore:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...alian-customers-with-faulty-iphones-and-ipads

Last edited by a moderator:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
TOO MUCH COOK SPOIL THE SOUP?

Is it ok to make a profit by making new products that are more expensive but have lower performance in real-life?

We already knew that Apple, through firmware updates from their new headquarters in California, made relatively new iPhone obsolete, obviously to encourage customers to buy new products with higher profit margins.

Now it seems like Apple has given up engineering altogether, just to push a «new» product, cfr. link below.

My MacBook Pro from 2014 is still better than what Apple sells today.

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...-core-i9-throttling-found-on-new-macbook-pros

derp1n

We already knew that Apple, through firmware updates from their new headquarters in California, made relatively new iPhone obsolete, obviously to encourage customers to buy new products with higher profit margins.

No, they didn't. That's conspiracy theory.

Now it seems like Apple has given up engineering altogether, just to push a «new» product, cfr. link below.

My MacBook Pro from 2014 is still better than what Apple sells today.

The throttling issue is a bit overstated, but there is a real engineering problem there.

It's unlikely your 2014 model bests a current model on any axis of performance, but it really depends what metric you use. By most objective metrics, the 2014 loses.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is depressing.
Apple have gone to the dogs, Google were always a bunch of devious pickpockets, modern tech has become too greedy. Weren't they making enough money for old rope already?
Android and Windows are both mediocre and vulnerable.
Probably need to go Linux again :(

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, they didn't. That's conspiracy theory.

The throttling issue is a bit overstated, but there is a real engineering problem there.

It's unlikely your 2014 model bests a current model on any axis of performance, but it really depends what metric you use. By most objective metrics, the 2014 loses.
I have had Macs for 31 years, just added an iMac Pro and plan to move my Mac Pro to video duties.
For me, except photoshop, lightroom and similar, most computers are plenty fast enough to browse the internet and emulate a typewriter.
I haven't bought a new Macbook because of the poor connectivity for what I want. I appreciate the magsafe connection, for example.
So for my use the new ones are worse then the one I have (i7 and 16Gb)

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I have had Macs for 31 years, just added an iMac Pro and plan to move my Mac Pro to video duties.
For me, except photoshop, lightroom and similar, most computers are plenty fast enough to browse the internet and emulate a typewriter.
I haven't bought a new Macbook because of the poor connectivity for what I want. I appreciate the magsafe connection, for example.
So for my use the new ones are worse then the one I have (i7 and 16Gb)

Let me rant a bit more...

The absence of connectivity without an external transformer on new Macbooks is simply mind boggling. It makes old customers question their newest purchases.

Say you are on vacation and want to see a film through HDMI. Not possible without a $100 external converter that you probably forgot at home. Apple want you to use Apple TV, but when traveling you don’t bring your Apple TV. Just an example. My 2014 MacBook has all the connections. And the old MacBook even has a tactile keyboard.

Top Bottom