• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The treble on the Sennheiser HD660 S is just .... wrong

raif71

Major Contributor
I have the hd600, 6xx and 660s and prefer the 600 better but lately been using more 6xx and it's with the powerdac v2... sounds great even without eq

McGillroy

I have the hd600, 6xx and 660s and prefer the 600 better but lately been using more 6xx and it's with the powerdac v2... sounds great even without eq

So the 660S is your least favourite of the three? Could you perhaps elaborate why?

itz_all_about_the_music

Jude from Head-Fi did an in interview with the two brothers who run Sennheiser and they said they're changing direction as a company to a consumer focused, which makes their partnership with Drop make a lot of sense. It's clear that they haven't been allocating much resources to the audiophile line of headphones the last decade and it shows. Sennheiser has a respectable legacy but the 660 S is just a cash grab.
Agree, and audio consumers are primed and ready to be victims of a "cash grab". Marketing departments add a digit to a product's development cycle (i.e., 600, 650, 660...661, 662...ad infinitum) and the consumer assumes it's better and worth the extra cash. This ploy is as old as the hills.

Buyer beware.

threni

Major Contributor
This thread has something for everyone, huh! :cool:

raif71

Major Contributor
So the 660S is your least favourite of the three? Could you perhaps elaborate why?
In a sense, I'm kinda biased. I expected more but was let down and I paid more for the 660s compared to the other two.

Chyżwar

The 660S has better detail retrieval and faster transients for sure

I think they just have a peak around 5 kHz, that's all :D

The HD660s are not as smooth as the HD650, that's why I sold them after a few months. They don't have the magic of the HD6XX series :)
Plus, the cheaper HD560s are better in some respects, especially when it comes to low bass. It's a bit disappointing.

McGillroy

I think they just have a peak around 5 kHz, that's all :D

The HD660s are not as smooth as the HD650, that's why I sold them after a few months. They don't have the magic of the HD6XX series :)
Plus, the cheaper HD560s are better in some respects, especially when it comes to low bass. It's a bit disappointing.

Yep that 5k peak might be it. But I also hear a little more detail in the lower mids when playing around with my own recordings.

Haven't heard the 560s, maybe give those a try.

Pretty sure the 660s is based on the HD700 driver, which is a screechy and bright sounding headphone. Sennheiser had excess HD700 drivers and put them in an HD650 frame and called it “an upgrade”, but its really just more convenient and affordable for Sennheiser. Thanks to people like Tyll it seems they aren’t discontinuing the legendary HD600 and HD650.

I also have heard a modern HD600 and an older Made In Ireland one and the older one is way smoother sounding. Just my experience

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sennheiser had excess HD700 drivers and put them in an HD650 frame

Silly rumours, the only 'common' factor is the magnet/frame assembly.
Its like stating the HD600, HD650 and HD560 Ovation all had the same driver. They don't, different order codes and different business ends (membranes) but the same chassis and magnet system.
A similar thing could be said about the HD5** range that all use the same magnet/frame. Not the same drivers, just similar looking.

see this post

McGillroy

660S goes back. Spend the weekend with it and it just takes the pleasure out of listening to music. Espc. classical music sounds annoying while I can listen to the same pieces with the DT1990 for hours. With pop and metal the 660S does ok and I heard a few things I wasn't aware of. But here too after ten minutes or so this thing just needs to get off my ears.

Pitty, I wanted to like it. Will try the 650 if one comes up.

McGillroy

Update: got the HD650 now and it's a keeper. Couldn't directly compare but the 650 felt right from the first minute and it has stayed that way so far. Relaxed, yet detailed sound and I can listen with it for hours. The 660S came off my ears quickly and I didn't want to put it back on.

My other headphone is the Beyer DT1990 which I also enjoy much. They are different enough to give different insights into the music and espc. when recording and mixing they complement each other well.

Last edited:

aliaksej

For me HD 660s are dark. If I would use it purely with PC, there'd be no issue. But I need to use them with my synthesizer and other stuff. While sounding very natural, with great mids, 660s suppresses treble, it's not even neutral. And piano/synth stuff sounds darker then wished... Some details are audible but not sounding natural. Are there any other alternatives to 660s in sennheisers lineup? I soo like Sennhs for comfort and open sound. I'd wish ready pleasant sound with bass and treble normal presence.

Dazerdoreal

For me HD 660s are dark. If I would use it purely with PC, there'd be no issue. But I need to use them with my synthesizer and other stuff. While sounding very natural, with great mids, 660s suppresses treble, it's not even neutral. And piano/synth stuff sounds darker then wished... Some details are audible but not sounding natural. Are there any other alternatives to 660s in sennheisers lineup? I soo like Sennhs for comfort and open sound. I'd wish ready pleasant sound with bass and treble normal presence.
Sure, the HD 600 and the HD 650 / HD 6XX.

Top Bottom