• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The things we do for this hobby ...

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As I noted here ...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...t-another-revel-f206-thread.18729/post-853986

I just recently purchased a pair of used Revel F208s and a C208. The full story behind this is interesting or sad depending on your perspective. I found these on USAM, the speakers were in great condition, the seller was easy to talk to and reasonable, the price was more than fair.

The only problem - they were local pickup only. In Kentucky. I live in St. Paul, MN. So obviously that means ... ROADTRIP!!

The trusty minivan had the space with some seats removed, but the floor had metal hooks and other extrusions that could easily damage the speakers. So ... I roughed together a flatbed ...

minivan.jpg

I also made a couple more of those short 2x6s with an angle bar as you see in the picture so I could woodscrew them into position once the speakers were loaded. I made holes for straps and had strap hooks to attach if necessary. Turns out the extra 2x6s were all I needed, plus several blankets and such for padding.

I scheduled the pickup to coincide with a family trip to South Haven, Michigan. We took two cars there and spent a couple days on Lake Michigan visiting family. Then my 17 year old son and I headed down to Kentucky with the minivan, while the rest of family went home to St. Paul. My son just got his driver's permit, so it was good practice time for him (though I couldn't really sleep when he was driving). And I needed him to help me carry and load the speakers. Luckily he was nearly as excited as me for the new speakers because he uses the HT room a lot for gaming, so he didn't mind and we actually had great conversations about music and gear and such. The rest of the family thought I was completely nuts.

However, the drive from Michigan to Kentucky was excruciating. Construction and traffic almost the entire way. Pickup went smooth and all my work to prep the vehicle paid off. The drive home was much better. We were making such good time and didn't want to stop but it got late and I had to. Spent the night in a cheap hotel and woke up to discover that a strip club was literally across the street. Oops. But the speakers were still in the car, so no harm! Rest of the trip home was uneventful.

Anyways - that is the craziest thing I've done for this hobby. What's the crazy thing you did for audio that had the normies in your circle considering committing you?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Spent the night in a cheap hotel and woke up to discover that a strip club was literally across the street. Oops.
Been there done that. British Columbia, Canada and specifically Vancouver has the best strip bars I have ever been to!

Congrats on a great road trip for nice speakers.

Tks

Major Contributor
Sounded like a decent reason not to be holed up in a house. And if you got a good deal, even better.

Btw they look awesome. At least now you got speakers you can die with.

Also, what is that TV or whatever that is?

OP
LightninBoy

LightninBoy

At least now you got speakers you can die with.

Kinda dark, but true. And my hearing isn't getting better, so I figured it was now or never.

Also, what is that TV or whatever that is?

Do you mean the screen? I have a projector so its the screen for the projector.

OP
LightninBoy

LightninBoy

You say that as though it's a bad thing.

Yeahhh, it was a seedy trucker stop in an industrial midwest town. I tried not to think about how many strippers took their business to the hotel across the street. At least when I checked in the clerk didn't ask if I need the room for an hour or the entire night.

Tks

Major Contributor
Kinda dark, but true. And my hearing isn't getting better, so I figured it was now or never.

Do you mean the screen? I have a projector so its the screen for the projector.

Man the last time I seen a projector, was like one of those cheapo things you pull down with your hand, and then the projector projects. What you have looks like some sort of frame where I couldn't tell if it was some impressive videophile thing going on or whatnot.

MCH

Major Contributor
I made Luxembourg to Dortmund and back (7hours) for a pair of Canton Vento 890 dc. Disadvantages of living in a small country that makes shipping prohibitively expensive...
Not that long and maybe not that worthy (nobody talks about Canton speakers here by the way) but my neighbour still laughs at me about this from time to time "I still can't understand why you did that". Maybe he is right :D

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pictures or it didn't happen.:p

It looks like you went to ACE hardware for cinder blocks.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
when i saw the title i was pretty sure there would be testimonies about people selling organs they didn't need really
to survive.... :(

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the crazy thing you did for audio that had the normies in your circle considering committing you?
@Patrick Bateman wins this contest, assuming "wins" is correct usage!
Oh that's a pic from my old condo. A few years back I tried to buy a set of SH50s. I briefly had my Gedlee Summas (which was my reference for about half a decade) and a rented set of SH50s, simultaneously.

The SH50s were so big I had to sell my car and buy a bigger one (see attached.)

Top Bottom