• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio (2012 list) - any updates ?

sdiver68

I don't get that one? Audyssey is a speaker system, right? What is XT32?
There are 3 room correction versions included in many AVR's and Pre/Pros. Audyssey, Audyssey XT, and Audyssey XT32. Only XT32 is worth it, the rest are snake oil to make you think you are getting the good stuff in lower level equipment. Or worse than snake oil because they may actually degrade sound.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll bite. To me studio monitors are flat and can play loud. Am I missing something, cuz that's how I'd describe my speakers?
Flat and loud is exactly what somebody should want in speakers. Somebody who drops 20k on B&W speakers, which are not flat, thinks there's something wonderful about poor directivity, ugly frequency response, and too much distortion.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can hear the difference between 120 dB SINAD and 85 dB SINAD.
That depends on the specific nature of the distortion, the source material, and the listener's training. If all the SINAD busting distortion is over 16khz, I'm not going to notice it no matter what. A SINAD in the 60s? That I know I can hear.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Throw in various hifi magazin and Youtubers. Those who waffle about strange and fuzzy ideas / gadgets. What is addressed in this thread. I can give a damn that I can find those who praise (just take an exempel from this thread) it as if it were the best that has come since sliced bread.

Would be fun to see a list of those that make sense. ASR but then I do not know. Of course there should be, but I do not know any. Well, Erin is fine:

20211225_120055785.jpeg

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Also known as GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Unfortunately it's a chronic syndrome :oops:
But you can try to cure the addiction by:

So maybe, MAYBE, it increases the opportunity to concentrate on the music and not the hifi gadgets themselves.:)

A lot in Hifi is ugly. Large fat cubes for subwoofer for example. Can do wonders for the sound, but they are ugly as a beating.:oops:

JiiPee

Putting Your amplifier on a HiFi rack makes it sound better than having it on an ordinary sideboard. Putting a weight on top of it makes it sound even better.

AudiOhm

I can't imagine purchasing a piece of audio equipment, then purchasing another piece of equipment to make it sound better, why not purchase a better piece of equipment in the first place…"----AudiOhm

Ohms

MCH

Major Contributor
That a desktop system based on topping/schiit/smsl... separates is very cheap

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiophilia as a "life-long journey of discovery":
In terms of gaining knowledge and wisdom, sure.
But as an excuse for endless equipment acquisitions, not so much :p

DanielT

Major Contributor
Audiophilia as a "life-long journey of discovery":
In terms of gaining knowledge and wisdom, sure.
But as an excuse for endless equipment acquisitions, not so much :p
Heard this conversation between some people at a Hifi trade/fair show a few years ago. In the queue at the cafeteria:
A: Now I have changed and tested. The NAD amplifier that I was not happy with is sold . So with the new power amp. ...
(and so on about various things bought and sold) .... but now I'm happy.
B: It was fun to hear
A: Fun, well sure but what should I do now?
B: Maybe take it easy and listen to music?
A: ..Hm, maybe you're right about that
(the last answer did not sound completely convincing)

Last edited:
Top Bottom