• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Tale of Two Variants (Kent & Wuhan - Chord / Aune)

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ll admit that I was somewhat amazed, no I was smitten, so much so that I emailed Chord to ask if the presence/attack was dialled up to give this result? kindly Rob Watts took the time to reply with the following explanation:
By the way, it might be the reason for such difference.
I know no metric describing spatial imaging of DAC, but different transient rendering definitely might be more than enough for different presentation.
Also, it would be interesting if you remember - maybe some genres/tracks on Chord did not force you to turn volume lower?
If your experience and Watts' answer are correct, I'd hypothesize that tracks, mixed (= created from multitrack records with all processing) with delta-sigma converters in monitoring chain might sound more "correct" through Aune and somewhat more "penetrating" on Chord.
Your description resembles difference between DS and R2R dacs. So, maybe that's the point.
And it just can't be seen on standard tests with quasi stationary signals or single impulse.

OP
Headchef

Headchef

By the way, it might be the reason for such difference.
I know no metric describing spatial imaging of DAC, but different transient rendering definitely might be more than enough for different presentation.
Also, it would be interesting if you remember - maybe some genres/tracks on Chord did not force you to turn volume lower?
If your experience and Watts' answer are correct, I'd hypothesize that tracks, mixed (= created from multitrack records with all processing) with delta-sigma converters in monitoring chain might sound more "correct" through Aune and somewhat more "penetrating" on Chord.
Your description resembles difference between DS and R2R dacs. So, maybe that's the point.
And it just can't be seen on standard tests with quasi stationary signals or single impulse.

now that is intriguing, I’ll dig out my listening notes and compare with the wife’s “what’s he doing now” notes and see if I can identify which the tracks were, shouldn’t be too tricky.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the Aune have configurable filters and do we know what it was set to for testing?

5E92F4D8-A442-47EC-B2B3-9BEAF766476D.jpeg.e0e079654542b4e99ca3a75018d09817.jpeg.38731625b796e...jpeg

sq225917

Major Contributor
I see a subjectivist taking steps to eliminate sighted bias, and introducing significant rigour to his evaluation, you boys want to BTFO.

Top Bottom