• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The super-wide-dispersion speaker (AKA the omni)

tuga

Major Contributor
The super-wide-dispersion speaker, also know as the omni.

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
Super expensive, but it's not just a wooden box with off-the-shelf drivers.

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny, I've watched that how it's made video a few times. It was much simpler than I expected. Each step has been worked out and in some ways I'd say the design is easier to make than conventional speakers. More involved steps in a sense, but only since you get drivers shipped to you ready to plug in for conventional speakers. That Jurgen Reis is one smart cookie too.

Never had the pleasure of hearing these. I wonder if Harman has ever done a listening test with them? I suppose someone could just assume a perfect flat response and plug the result into the formula to tell us how they'd score being omni's. In real life they wouldn't be quite that perfect and would score less.

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
Funny, I've watched that how it's made video a few times. It was much simpler than I expected. Each step has been worked out and in some ways I'd say the design is easier to make than conventional speakers. More involved steps in a sense, but only since you get drivers shipped to you ready to plug in for conventional speakers. That Jurgen Reis is one smart cookie too.

Never had the pleasure of hearing these. I wonder if Harman has ever done a listening test with them? I suppose someone could just assume a perfect flat response and plug the result into the formula to tell us how they'd score being omni's. In real life they wouldn't be quite that perfect and would score less.

For people like myself who prefer narrow directivity it might get bottom of table.
Like you I have never listened to MBLs but I did play with a single-driver Shahinian Compass look-alike for a while and didn't like it.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Too diffuse for my taste, but an incredible technical achievement, rethinking how drivers work on a fundamental level.

Top Bottom