• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The state of patents for AAC?

U

UKPI

A few weeks ago, I read an article about Fedora including some parts of the Fraunhofer FDK codec back in 2017. Since only the Low Complexity profile is old enough to clear those requirements, I assumed that only the AAC-LC part of the FDK codec became part of Fedora. There is some information about expired patents for MPEG-2 Video and MPEG-4 Visual (NOT AVC), but details related to patents for AAC are hard to find.

1. Does the inclusion of AAC-LC into Fedora mean that AAC-LC is patent free? (I know that there are patent-free codecs that achieves transparency at lower bitrates. I just want to know this. :) )
2. Does anybody know or can point to the state of patents related to MPEG-4 AAC profiles (AAC-LC, HE-AAC, HE-AAC v2, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
U

UKPI

Here is the list of patents included in that agreement. All the estimated expiration dates are from the search results of Google Patents.

Attachments

• List_of_AAC_patents_.zip
    34.1 KB · Views: 633
Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom