• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The state of lossy audio in 2022.

Ambient384

In that case, increase the bitrate to 192kbps and call it a day. At 192kbps, modern codecs like Opus, AAC, and Vorbis are tied and essentially transparent.
Yeah AAC is 2nd when It comes to having support and I'm willing to agree that It blows MP3 out the water at 192kbps VBR after testing FHG AAC & Apple AAC more.

Ambient384

The gap is very wide 160kbps AAC is transparent at 100% with FHG covering other stuff that chokes on QAAC, while I need 256kbps MP3 to come close at 98% quality wise.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My ears are getting more lossy for each year that passes. :oops:

Probably the reason why I couldn't tell any difference between the Hydrogenaudio's original castanet.wav and the 1999 Xing 64kbps MP3 encode on my Topping E50 + iLoud monitors. Before that I thought 64kbps would be an obvious slam dunk degradation like music coming out from a cellphone speaker.

Top Bottom