• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Sound Quality of Appetite for Destruction

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Lately I've been noticing how the improved stereo width and separation that I'm getting with my current setup seems to make everything sound better. A couple nights ago I was watching short videos on Facebook and someone had Welcome to the Jungle playing in the background. It sounded like they had recorded it off of speakers on a cheap boom box using some kind of cheap stereo microphone. It was really distorted and messed up but very lively with lots of midrange presence and I got a lift out of it. So, I decided to turn it on in Apple Music. Boy was I disappointed! Such a thin, lifeless, flat sound, completely lacking in presence as I have ever heard. I don't recall this music being so bad sounding, but I guess I never listened to any Guns'n'Roses other than as background music in the car or something similar. Does anybody else agree that this is a pretty bad sounding album? My system gives it a nice wide stereo presentation but it's flat as a pancake, tonally unpleasant with this music. I've tried on headphones and my system at work and I can't get it to sound that good no matter what. The cheaper Sony speakers at work turned down pretty low is the best I can make it sound. I think what I should try next are the Klipschorns. If they can't give it some midrange bite nothing can. I'm starting to think this has to be played quietly or really loud.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some mastering gets a "smiley face" response specifically to sound better on inexpensive systems. You might be able to EQ it back into a usable shape.

OP
T

Tim Link

Forum Donor
Some mastering gets a "smiley face" response specifically to sound better on inexpensive systems. You might be able to EQ it back into a usable shape.
I'll try that!

OP
T

Tim Link

Forum Donor
I tried it - definitely like it better with a plus 5 parametric at 1k. I hate to go down this rabbit hole of individual EQ for albums. I guess if I want to enjoy this album there's no choice.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried it - definitely like it better with a plus 5 parametric at 1k. I hate to go down this rabbit hole of individual EQ for albums. I guess if I want to enjoy this album there's no choice.
Some music management programs (like Jriver and others) allow stored EQ for each track.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I hate to go down this rabbit hole of individual EQ for albums. I guess if I want to enjoy this album there's no choice.
In a few rare cases I've "remastered" CDs for myself (with Audacity or GoldWave).

Top Bottom