• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The solution to all your audio problems - Leiwandizer

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This reminds me of one famous quote of Billy Wilder (Austrian himself) about Austrians and Germans... :D

I've met quite a lot of Germans but non Austrians actually... :rolleyes: so I can't judge, but generally I like German people, very much. They may have not sense of humor, as I've had the chance to experience myself, but they are kind and honest, by heart, good people. I don't know were that comes from, but congratulations.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
^^ :D

I think it relates to north and south. Sunlight and warmth/cold. (If someone can explain that it is different between Germany and Scandinavia and Baltics, I'm listening. :) Like there are other factors that override that default.)
Like does the amount of beer and wine and vodka make a difference. :)

Sometimes i think of how DNA sampling should become mandatory everywhere. It will clarify a lot, people will need to adjust their stories.

Last edited:

flor

Mandatory DNA sampling reminds me of a very unfunny period in German history.

flor

They may have not sense of humor, as I've had the chance to experience myself, but they are kind and honest, by heart, good people. I don't know were that comes from, but congratulations.
I have trouble with generalizations like this. There are nice people and unkind people everywhere on the world. Germany has 85 million inhabitants, they are not all good.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have trouble with generalizations like this. There are nice people and unkind people everywhere on the world. Germany has 85 million inhabitants, they are not all good.
I have too. It was a bit impulsive and a bit in jest too, sorry, but like all generalizations has some degree of truth.
;)
I'll delete it of course if someone ask me to.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
This reminds me of one famous quote of Billy Wilder (Austrian himself) about Austrians and Germans... :D

The biggest historical achievement of the Austrians was making the world believe that Mozart was Austrian and Hitler German. Did Billy Wilder say that, too?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The biggest historical achievement of the Austrians was making the world believe that Mozart was Austrian and Hitler German. Did Billy Wilder say that, too?
Yes, but with Beethoven I believe. Perhaps back then Beethoven was thought to br Austrian. It makes more sense with Mozart really...

Waxx

Major Contributor
^^ :D

I think it relates to north and south. Sunlight and warmth/cold. (If someone can explain that it is different between Germany and Scandinavia and Baltics, I'm listening. :) Like there are other factors that override that default.)
Like does the amount of beer and wine and vodka make a difference. :)

Sometimes i think of how DNA sampling should become mandatory everywhere. It will clarify a lot, people will need to adjust their stories.
Baltic people are not germanic altough, and Dutch, Belgian and northern and central French are Germanic. Baltic people are close related to Slavic people, and have a very different language than Germanic languages. And Estonians are actually Finno-Uralic people just like Hungarians, Fins, Sami and Karelians (RUS). Europe is etnic very mixed but at the end we are all humans off course...

Pure Germanic languages that are still spoken are German (based on old high German), Dutch (based on old low German), Westflemish (very close to Dutch but different), Frissian, (based on old low German), Norwegian/Swedish/Danish/Icelandic/Faroese (all based on old Nordic). The Eastern branch of Germanic (the Gothic languages) dissappeared but still have some remains in modern Romanian, Italian, French and Catalan.

English and french are mix languages with a big part Germanic origin, more in Enlish then in French. English is Saxon & Anglish (low German) and Nordic mixed with latin and different Celtic (Brittonic, Scottisch, Pictian, Gaelic, Irish) languages. French is old Frankish (low German) and Burgundian (east Germanic) that is mixed with Celtic languages (Gallian, old Belgian) and Latin. And certainly today, all those languages influenced each other a lot.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think that combining a Leiwandizer with a Fozgometer and maybe also some Lampizator stuff would be awesome...

1652530810023.png

Katji

Major Contributor
I have too. It was a bit impulsive and a bit in jest too, sorry, but like all generalizations has some degree of truth.
;)
I'll delete it of course if someone ask me to.
:) Yes...I took it in jest, of course [and iirc the only times I've heard the thing about humour it has been from Germans], and "no smoke without fire", but I do generally examine them before using them, I'm wary of generalisations - there are always the exceptions and it's unpleasant for them.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One of my colleagues from the UK facility once visited our German headquarter and happend to join a big party after a company internal soccer tournament. With people dancing on the tables (really!) including the wife of the late company founder, he told me he will never again in his life say that Germans have no humour or cannot party.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of my colleagues from the UK facility once visited our German headquarter and happend to join a big party after a company internal soccer tournament. With people dancing on the tables (really!) including the wife of the late company founder, he told me he will never again in his life say that Germans have no humour or cannot party.
Perhaps Germans separate better work from party, so work is work, and party is party, down here is not that clear xD

Edit: I mean, my impression is that generally in central Europe there is time for humor and party and there is time for work. In other areas like in Spain and Italy perhaps also, this two moods are a bit more entangled, so work is a bit less serious and party is bit less explosive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom