• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Science of Roon Endpoint price points

TheDude

I would like to create this thread with the aim of establishing the minimum cost of an endpoint for use with Roon software.

Taking a fanless cased Intel Nuc running Roon Rock as the core with a usb hard drive library then ethernet to route the audio to provide:
a) endpoint to DAC to headphone amplifier
b) endpoint as a network player to amplifier

Taking the original degradation from the Nuc electronics and power supply affecting the audio output over ethernet how costly an endpoint is required to not harmfully degrade the audio further? For example rpi, Alo, Argon up to innuos, auralic, matrix from 250 to 1000 plus.

They are all there to make money at various price points. How many are unnecessary in terms of not needing to spend out to get high quality sound?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Wrong assumptions, I am afraid. No degation of audio in the digital domain. At all.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not use USB. A Mele Quieter 3Q is fanless, will run Windows or Linux, can have an internal NVME drive holding up to 4 TB, and costs $269 on Amazon for the 8G memory 256 G Hard Drive version, only 4 USB and two HDMI outputs, though. I just bought mine and it not only works for all audio, it also streams Netflix in 4K HDR 10 to my LG C1 while simultaneously porting 5.1 DD+ Surround LPCM audio to my JRiver MC 30 software, where I can do a Low/High Pass plus Bass Mgt for the LFE channel, PEQ for my 5 satellites, and Dirac Live on the entire 5.1 system. Flawless video and audio with no lip sync or dropped frames in a small, economical, and completely quiet package. Just be sure to debloat if you are using Windows 11.

OP
T

TheDude

Wrong assumptions, I am afraid. No degation of audio in the digital domain. At all.
Than you Joachim. Pleased to read that. The implication is that ethernet in, to audio out signal via usb to DAC is unaffected to a significant degree to be audible by the mains or software of the endpoint.

OP
T

TheDude

Why not use USB. A Mele Quieter 3Q is fanless, will run Windows or Linux, can have an internal NVME drive holding up to 4 TB, and costs $269 on Amazon for the 8G memory 256 G Hard Drive version, only 4 USB and two HDMI outputs, though. I just bought mine and it not only works for all audio, it also streams Netflix in 4K HDR 10 to my LG C1 while simultaneously porting 5.1 DD+ Surround LPCM audio to my JRiver MC 30 software, where I can do a Low/High Pass plus Bass Mgt for the LFE channel, PEQ for my 5 satellites, and Dirac Live on the entire 5.1 system. Flawless video and audio with no lip sync or dropped frames in a small, economical, and completely quiet package. Just be sure to debloat if you are using Windows 11.
Sounds good. Will check that out! Thank you
$15. Ropieee now runs on it so it is even easier to setup.

I've been having an archaeological dig back to 2015 and discover in my possession a pi with an iq audio pi DAC+. Hope it's a pi3 and I might be able to get the recommended current software to run on it.

Found a couple of links here on ASR:

Leading to :

Greatly reassured having read these. Thank you!

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to create this thread with the aim of establishing the minimum cost of an endpoint for use with Roon software.

Taking a fanless cased Intel Nuc running Roon Rock as the core with a usb hard drive library then ethernet to route the audio to provide:
a) endpoint to DAC to headphone amplifier
b) endpoint as a network player to amplifier

Taking the original degradation from the Nuc electronics and power supply affecting the audio output over ethernet how costly an endpoint is required to not harmfully degrade the audio further? For example rpi, Alo, Argon up to innuos, auralic, matrix from 250 to 1000 plus.

They are all there to make money at various price points. How many are unnecessary in terms of not needing to spend out to get high quality sound?

No need for concern, in the test linked above a 10 year old i7 running at full cpu load over a long length of standard usb cable was transparent. Spend as little as you like. I use several end points, the RPI zero 2w is cheap and reliable. Any old phone over usb into a DAC will be just as good.

Wunderphones

I went the luxury route and got a Raspberry Pi 4 with a nice case so I could just go with WiFi. I use RopieeeXL on that, and run it out to an SMSL 500 (again, I went luxury). So, the endpoint in total was, like, $475? I guess if you think of the Rpi as the endpoint, it was about $50--again because I went with a nice case.

What I miss with this setup is that I don't have a single remote control (aside from the tablet I have that runs Roon Remote) that can BOTH adjust the volume and pause/skip tracks. So someday I may get a real streamer device, but I've got a lot of other more pressing concerns.

Top Bottom